Forum Stats
63600 Members
45 Forums
451184 Topics
6234317 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#6990407 - 12/10/17 03:49 AM 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
I don't know where people come up with this garbage. Watch the video...

I take it that he did not actually necropsy the deer to determine what did or did not actually anatomically happen. He had a dead deer and looked at the video in slower motion. I watched the video and the deer showed impact. I don't know what he was watching.

With that said, will the 50 BMG suck the eyeballs out of a deer? Heck, it won't even hardly move red Solo Cups around...

#6990444 - 12/10/17 06:35 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
Well, now youíve had a proper introduction to Keith Warren, and you know what you can expect in the future.

#6990448 - 12/10/17 06:42 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
topwater13 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Wise County
Interesting....I would have expected the head to be gone with even a slight graze. They weren't showing much of the dead dear though. A slight overkill regardless. SMH.

#6990532 - 12/10/17 08:32 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
syncerus Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
It's nice to the see the hype machine is still churning out product.

Deer are much tougher than they were 100 years ago when people used to kill them with .38-40 and .25-20 cartridges. In fact, I'm not even sure the .50 BMG is really sufficient under tough conditions. I'd go with a 20MM Vulcan, myself. You know, the six barrel Gatling design. Of course, dragging a crew around is a bit of a pain, but you can never be too careful.

Edited by syncerus (12/10/17 08:35 AM)
Edit Reason: img

#6990551 - 12/10/17 08:48 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
That second video proved the point well, I have tried to convince many that it isn't possible to kill a deer with a passing bullet. I know guys that shoot WT with with a 300 mag (I am not knocking a 300, just the hype) and claim a miss will kill, or complete removal of the head from a neck shot. I have seen their dead deer, heads still attached, just a hole in the neck.
I like your idea syncerus, only a grenade will make them deader.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#6990556 - 12/10/17 08:53 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
syncerus Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
It's all about bullet construction. A varmint type rapid expansion bullet is most likely to perform a near decapitation. If that's the "goal" (sigh), a 125 grain Ballistic Tip out of a .300 WM is probably most likely to "achieve" that result.

Whatever happened to sportsmanship and respect for your quarry? I don't tell others how to hunt, but I'd have nothing to do with this idiocy, myself.

#6990663 - 12/10/17 10:37 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: syncerus]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Originally Posted By: syncerus

Whatever happened to sportsmanship and respect for your quarry? I don't tell others how to hunt, but I'd have nothing to do with this idiocy, myself.

Well said. Iím still young compared to lots of folks around here (28) but itís my generation who is starting to star in hunting shows and YouTube channels, and I donít like most of it. I made a poor shot on a doe earlier this week. I got her, but she suffered greatly for 10 minutes or so until I could work my way around to get another shot on her. It upset me. I have lots of respect for the animals I kill, and donít treat it like a game, or hope it will make me famous on YouTube.

#6990712 - 12/10/17 11:54 AM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Tff caribou]
5Redman8 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Forney TX
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: syncerus

Well said. Iím still young compared to lots of folks around here (28) but itís my generation who is starting to star in hunting shows and YouTube channels, and I donít like most of it. I made a poor shot on a doe earlier this week. I got her, but she suffered greatly for 10 minutes or so until I could work my way around to get another shot on her. It upset me. I have lots of respect for the animals I kill, and donít treat it like a game, or hope it will make me famous on YouTube.

With this attitude you will find yourself respected and welcome to hunt many places where others are not!!!

#6990821 - 12/10/17 01:38 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Pig_Popper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
Regarding the Keith Warren video, let me take this through a reality load test...

Fact: the weapon and optic and ammo weigh in over 30 lbs, the projectile is 750 grains

Logic Test : FAIL : Warren states due to the weight of the weapon and muzzle brake "recoil is manageable".... Yes because I take my 600 lb shooting bench everywhere with me.

Fact: when you have such manageable recoil you should only load 1 round in your high capacity magazine

Logic Test : FAIL : how many hunters who use .30 cal cartridges load a single round in your semi-auto high capacity magazine? Yeah a I have few 25 round Pmags myself for 338 Federal - it never occurred to me that I was loading 24 too many....

Fact: he is setup in a blind with a 12" shelf and shooting off the guns bipod

Logic Test : PLAUSIBLE : I've seen some pretty fancy / creative hunting blinds, would have liked to see him use a regular Joe's hunting blind BUT if you have a 12" shelf and bipod I suppose I'd use it too.

Fact: a Doe is considered medium sized game , there are many ammo manufacturers who rate their ammo for Terminal Effect and it is realistic to think that most calibers above .223 would be appropriate.

Logic Test : Fail : most of you have hit on this already, the 50 BMG is overkill , it would probably have been just as effective to run her over with the lease vehicle but then we wouldn't have a video to view - and Barrett doesn't make a grill guard

Fact: after shooting an animal with a 50 BMG you'd assume there would be massive trauma

Logic Test : Fail : as he lined up behind the doe for the after shot photo opportunity he is convinced at that point that he hit her in the head "accuracy and shot placement is everything" and he says you'd think more damage would be evident. Right this particular doe has a head that is harder than most does which explains the lack of damage.... you'd think a guy who makes a living hunting would have suspected he grazed her but nooooo it just didn't do much damage.

Fact: bullets create "pressure and vacuum"

Logic Test : UNKNOWN : I'm convinced that 50 BMG is capable of imparting a higher degree of suck, I don't know much about bullet design but I'm sure ammo manufactures keep the vacuum properties a secret and Mr. Warren is divulging highly guarded information. I'm not sure how they do it but WOW.

"It sucked the eyeballs out of the deer's head - A VERY ETHICAL KILL".

#6990854 - 12/10/17 02:27 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I heard the 50 cal rumor so many time in the Army it ridiculous and usually from senior NCOs lol

If itís within a few feet it will rip their skin right off or rip and arm off blah blah blah

Edited by SapperTitan (12/10/17 02:28 PM)

#6990888 - 12/10/17 02:51 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Pig_Popper]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Regarding the Keith Warren video, let me take this through a reality load test...

Fact: the weapon and optic and ammo weigh in over 30 lbs, the projectile is 750 grains

Logic Test : FAIL : Warren states due to the weight of the weapon and muzzle brake "recoil is manageable".... Yes because I take my 600 lb shooting bench everywhere with me.

Fact: when you have such manageable recoil you should only load 1 round in your high capacity magazine

Logic Test : FAIL : how many hunters who use .30 cal cartridges load a single round in your semi-auto high capacity magazine? Yeah a I have few 25 round Pmags myself for 338 Federal - it never occurred to me that I was loading 24 too many....

Fact: he is setup in a blind with a 12" shelf and shooting off the guns bipod

Logic Test : PLAUSIBLE : I've seen some pretty fancy / creative hunting blinds, would have liked to see him use a regular Joe's hunting blind BUT if you have a 12" shelf and bipod I suppose I'd use it too.

Fact: a Doe is considered medium sized game , there are many ammo manufacturers who rate their ammo for Terminal Effect and it is realistic to think that most calibers above .223 would be appropriate.

Logic Test : Fail : most of you have hit on this already, the 50 BMG is overkill , it would probably have been just as effective to run her over with the lease vehicle but then we wouldn't have a video to view - and Barrett doesn't make a grill guard

Fact: after shooting an animal with a 50 BMG you'd assume there would be massive trauma

Logic Test : Fail : as he lined up behind the doe for the after shot photo opportunity he is convinced at that point that he hit her in the head "accuracy and shot placement is everything" and he says you'd think more damage would be evident. Right this particular doe has a head that is harder than most does which explains the lack of damage.... you'd think a guy who makes a living hunting would have suspected he grazed her but nooooo it just didn't do much damage.

Fact: bullets create "pressure and vacuum"

Logic Test : UNKNOWN : I'm convinced that 50 BMG is capable of imparting a higher degree of suck, I don't know much about bullet design but I'm sure ammo manufactures keep the vacuum properties a secret and Mr. Warren is divulging highly guarded information. I'm not sure how they do it but WOW.

"It sucked the eyeballs out of the deer's head - A VERY ETHICAL KILL".

So you believe Warrenís conclusion is accurate and the 2nd video is a hoax?

#6990890 - 12/10/17 02:51 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Dalroo Offline
Tracker

Loc: The Heart of Texas
Something about Warrens entire demeanor, and especially in this video, creeps me out. Not someone I would hunt with if given the opportunity.

#6990893 - 12/10/17 02:53 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Keith Warren started out a joke and has only gotten worse.

#6990907 - 12/10/17 03:03 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
Jgraider Offline
Tracker

Loc: West Texas
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Keith Warren started out a joke and has only gotten worse.

You got that right. Bottom of the barrel.

#6990942 - 12/10/17 03:40 PM Re: 50 BMG Near Miss - "Sucked the Eyeballs Out" of the Deer [Re: Double Naught Spy]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
I have a 50 and have not used it on anything yet but inanimate objects. Not what I want to shoot deer with though some day I might shoot a hog. There is a lot of energy in those big bullets but not such that it will knock over stuff by being just close to it. Now the muzzle blast kicking out the sides will blow things around a lot, like items on benches next to you will move and lighter weight items will fly off the bench next to you such as a jacket.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide