6039556 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6988515 - 12/08/17 11:52 AM Question about bullets and high shoulder shots
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
I shot a doe this morning using the high shoulder shot. Iím shooting a .308 with custom reloads using nosler ballistic tips. I shot her at 200 yards and dropped her. I know the high shoulder is not a shot in the vitals and doesnít always lead to drt shots. She started to get up and I put another one into her, but made a poor shot (adrenaline maybe, never had to take a follow up shot, so I was a little rattled) and hit her in the backstrap/spine area, and she drug herself into the brush, couldnít get a 3rd shot because she was behind some briars. But I could see her occasionally working her way to the brush. Waited a few minutes, and figured she had to be dead by now, found her trying to get through a cross fence, but couldnít make it. 3rd round in the neck ended her.

Couple questions, is a bullet that is made to expand rapidly like a ballistic tip not a good choice for high shoulder? Some fragments made it through the shoulder and came through the front of the ribcage, and her shoulder is absolutely broken, flopping all over the place. Would a soft point be better for this shot? And second how often do you guys who shoot high shoulder see a deer get up and go 50+ yards? Especially with a 2nd round in them? Even though it was a poor shot, Iíd have bet money a shot to the spine would have been a 100% instant kill.

Anyways, give me your thoughts? When I was younger I always shot soft point (coreloct, Winchester silver box, etc) but Iíve shot several deer now in the vitals with ballistic tips and theyíve never gone more than 20 yards or so, but my stand on our family place is about 200 yards from a boundary fence, and this doe was about 40 yards from it at the time so I switched it up to hopefully anchor her so she woudnt have a chance to make it to the fence.

Edited by Tff caribou (12/08/17 11:54 AM)

#6988532 - 12/08/17 12:02 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
rickym Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: texas
At that distance your ballistic tip should expand fine. The short shots(under 100yards) is when I'd be worried.

#6988547 - 12/08/17 12:08 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: rickym]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: rickym
At that distance your ballistic tip should expand fine. The short shots(under 100yards) is when I'd be worried.

If thatís the case, maybe it was just a fluke. And she was just a tough old doe.

#6988563 - 12/08/17 12:18 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
procraft05 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: South/West Wise Co
This is just me here, I love the high shoulder shot

But I swore off anything ballistic tipped earlier this year.

I have had several not pass on animals (1 hog and 1 buck)

I shot a deer a few weeks ago w cheap Core Lokts.

Complete pass through! Fell maybe 10 yards away pouring blood

I'm done w ballistic tips...

#6988577 - 12/08/17 12:30 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
What weight BT are you using?

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#6988594 - 12/08/17 12:40 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

I would reconsider/recheck your shot placement. If you did the high shoulder shot correctly your first shot would have hit the spine and front reaches of the back straps.

#6988597 - 12/08/17 12:42 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
That shot depends more on penetration, and less on expansion. So IMO, that bullet is not a good choice for that shot.

I would use a tougher bullet shooting right into the shoulder bone.

When you get penetration, the results are spectacular. When you donít, the results are what you got.

#6988614 - 12/08/17 12:52 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
D'hanis Offline
Woodsman

I'm interested to see what others say here. I posted a thread recently about high shoulder shots. My best spot is near a fence line so I was planning on shooting high shoulder. However, I'm shooting a 117 gr Hornady Superformance ballistic tip (25-06). While I have seen great results with this round in the past, it was always on behind the shoulder shots. Your post is making me re consider if high shoulder is really my best option with what I'm shooting.

#6988635 - 12/08/17 01:08 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
dlrz71 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Arlington, Tx/Coke Cnty
All these BT failures...scratch I'll stick with my Core lokts and Federal Power shoks!!

#6988637 - 12/08/17 01:09 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Hen House Tx
What weight bullet? How high in the shoulder?

#6988645 - 12/08/17 01:13 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Teal28]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Teal28
What weight bullet? How high in the shoulder?

Donít recall bullet weight. It dads rifle. I didnít have a chance to get my rifle sighted in before season and have been using his. As far as how high, basically center of the neck but obviously over the shoulder. If that makes sense.

#6988656 - 12/08/17 01:19 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Did he sight his in this season?

#6988666 - 12/08/17 01:27 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: redchevy]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Yes. Bullet went right where I was aiming. After looking at some pictures of high shoulder shot placement, I think I was a couple inches lower than I should have been. Broke her leg and not a whole lot else.

#6988717 - 12/08/17 02:04 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Yes. Bullet went right where I was aiming. After looking at some pictures of high shoulder shot placement, I think I was a couple inches lower than I should have been. Broke her leg and not a whole lot else.

If you went far enough under the spine not to disrupt it, usually you hit lungs in some fashion. Sounds like you hit spine. Just didnít emancipate it completely

#6988748 - 12/08/17 02:22 PM Re: Question about bullets and high shoulder shots [Re: Tff caribou]
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
I've killed several WTails who were really close to a boundary but still legal for me, by thinking of the deer in 3 Dimension and able to visualize the off side shoulder as well as the onside shoulder for an anchoring shot.

Shot one thru a trimmed football sized hole in a thick branched cedar where the deer were easing down a jeep trail staying "hidden" behind the cedars about 85/90 yards away...and broke both shoulders with a tougher than normal 270 130gr Grand Slam I'd brought looking for some mature Red Deer that had escaped from an adjacent ranch the Rangers had told us about and warned us to "use enough bullet" for an anchoring shot...the deer "bulldozed" her way down hill on her chin off the jeep trail with both shoulders destroyed and piled up about 10 yards away at the jeep trails high spoil bank shoulder, with the boundary fence about 10 yards away.

Another one was at the edge of a Lottery Hunt corned area cut out of waist high weeds and was 10-15 yards from escaping into a thicket about 125/130 yards away...hit her with a 6.5 Swede's 120gr Sierra ProHunter at 28/2900fps with a clean entry in the mid crease but I was aiming for the offside's shoulder/leg socket and busted the socket & penetrating 'bout half way thru the ball of the joint, taking out all the hvac as well for the quickest DRT I've ever had, as she was dead mid stride and folded back on her self. No meat loss on that one either.

Just Sayin ...think of the target animal in 3D and realize the bullet's potential path is not at a flat 90* angle from a hit, but follows the angle from which you are shooting at.
Ron

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana

"You ARE entitled to your own opinions...you are NOT entitled to your own Facts" ...Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide