Forums46
Topics537,699
Posts9,727,906
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987025 12/07/17 06:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Went for a long time not gutting them. I gut mine now mostly to lessen the weight and make them easier to deal with.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987053 12/07/17 06:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
LO wants us bringing them back and skinning/cleaning them at the house. He believes it causes less attraction for predators in his pastures. (But It's a field day at the dump, let me tell you!)

I'm gonna try not gutting next season, or maybe this year with a guest's deer. I'll have to watch a YouTube video for how to get the hind quarters off without causing a mess.

There's three other pastures leased, with one skinning station, with mostly worn out winches, cables, etc. Some other hunters love to roar up there on their stupid UTV,that seems to be running 24/7, when they see anyone else and see what's been killed. I understand the attraction, but don't show up and kibitz dammit.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987066 12/07/17 06:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We lay em on their back, unzip from anus to chin (no shoulder mount of course). Cut through the hams, right in the center, then put the point of the knife on the suture of cartilage connecting the pelvis, and pound on the heel of the knife the palm of the other hand, and get it cut from north to south. Open the deer's back legs, stand on em, squat down, grap the tail, and stand up. Boom, rectum has a place to come out. Go back up to the chin, grab trachea, and esophagus in one hand, cut them loose, and start pulling toward the tail. A few cuts of fascia along the way, and every organ comes out in one piece. Deer just lost several pounds, making it easier to handle.

Back at camp, we skin head up, hanging from an old swingset frame, leaving the back legs touching the ground. Once the hide is peeled back to just above the tail, hold in both hands raise a foot onto it, and step down. The legs are way stronger than the arms. smile

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987081 12/07/17 07:04 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
LO wants us bringing them back and skinning/cleaning them at the house. He believes it causes less attraction for predators in his pastures. (But It's a field day at the dump, let me tell you!)

I'm gonna try not gutting next season, or maybe this year with a guest's deer. I'll have to watch a YouTube video for how to get the hind quarters off without causing a mess.

To go the gutless method, hang the deer by the hind quarters, cut the head off, skin the deer, remove the shoulders, then backstraps. Cut the guts down and let them fall into the rib cage until you can grab the tenders. After that cut the spine right below the hams with a saw or sawzaw and you are left with just the hams hanging together. Separate the pelvis and you are done. It really is that simple.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6987146 12/07/17 07:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
We lay em on their back, unzip from anus to chin (no shoulder mount of course). Cut through the hams, right in the center, then put the point of the knife on the suture of cartilage connecting the pelvis, and pound on the heel of the knife the palm of the other hand, and get it cut from north to south. Open the deer's back legs, stand on em, squat down, grap the tail, and stand up. Boom, rectum has a place to come out. Go back up to the chin, grab trachea, and esophagus in one hand, cut them loose, and start pulling toward the tail. A few cuts of fascia along the way, and every organ comes out in one piece. Deer just lost several pounds, making it easier to handle.

That's how we do it too, except use a saw for the pelvis and brisket. It can be done quick fast and in a hurry. Then with the guts out I can let it hang for an hour to cool while I go inside where my momma has coffee and a breakfast fit for a king ready. up

Plus the gutless is a no go for me because we save the ribs flank etc. for sausage/burger grind.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: redchevy] #6987170 12/07/17 08:06 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Boom.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6987183 12/07/17 08:12 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: dkershen
My brother and I clean a lot of deer (mostly mulies) every year, and have a pretty efficient system. On occasion I'll have a client try to tell me I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty quick to hand them the knife and say "show me" then.

Getting the hide off of a big mulie can be a lot of work. Over the years we've tried all the tricks to try and make it go faster. Like the golf ball winch method. And the air compressor needle under the skin method (blows them up like a balloon). But bottom line just getting right after it with a sharp knife is the most expeditious way about it.

Lol tried all that too. Same conclusion.

The eye bolts in the concrete are to attach a short cable to the hide so when winching up the deer it pulls the hide off. You can see the shadow of the a'frame the electric winch is tied on. Only picture I still have of the contraption.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: redchevy] #6987187 12/07/17 08:15 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted By: redchevy

That's how we do it too, except use a saw for the pelvis and brisket. It can be done quick fast and in a hurry.

That's how we always did it before we started hanging them to gut, but used a roofing hatchet and hammer instead of the saw. I always have a hammer and roofing hatchet in the bed of the truck during deer season, just for that. I cant ever hit the same spot twice with a hatchet, so that's what the hammer is for. haha Put the blade on the pelvis then smack with a hammer a few times and done. Smaller deer we do like Fireman said.. big knife and the heel of your hand.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: hook_n_line] #6987197 12/07/17 08:20 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
The eye bolts in the concrete are to attach a short cable to the hide so when winching up the deer it pulls the hide off. You can see the shadow of the a'frame the electric winch is tied on. Only picture I still have of the contraption.

That's what we use at this lease. Works. Most of the time. The hide can break when you're almost through (with the head and forelegs cut off); then, it's a PITA.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: hook_n_line] #6987206 12/07/17 08:28 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: dkershen
My brother and I clean a lot of deer (mostly mulies) every year, and have a pretty efficient system. On occasion I'll have a client try to tell me I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty quick to hand them the knife and say "show me" then.

Getting the hide off of a big mulie can be a lot of work. Over the years we've tried all the tricks to try and make it go faster. Like the golf ball winch method. And the air compressor needle under the skin method (blows them up like a balloon). But bottom line just getting right after it with a sharp knife is the most expeditious way about it.

Lol tried all that too. Same conclusion.

I still like to winch the skin off. At least it seems to take less time. Good idea on the I bolt.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987207 12/07/17 08:29 PM
D
duckkillah Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Does no one simply cut the meat from the bone around the pelvis and then pop the ball out of the socket??? It may take a few deer to learn the curve, but you probably couldn't fill a taco with the amount of meat left once you get the hang of it! I always butcher my own deer, and taking the hindquarters all the way down to the femur when quartering saves a good bit of time later when cutting steaks or separating the muscles prior to grinding. And no need for a hatchet or pruning shears....

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987218 12/07/17 08:35 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

That's what we use at this lease. Works. Most of the time. The hide can break when you're almost through (with the head and forelegs cut off); then, it's a PITA.

Get one of these makes quick cuts on legs and down the center. deer will peel like a banana.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: duckkillah] #6987227 12/07/17 08:42 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: duckkillah
Does no one simply cut the meat from the bone around the pelvis and then pop the ball out of the socket??? It may take a few deer to learn the curve, but you probably couldn't fill a taco with the amount of meat left once you get the hang of it! I always butcher my own deer, and taking the hindquarters all the way down to the femur when quartering saves a good bit of time later when cutting steaks or separating the muscles prior to grinding. And no need for a hatchet or pruning shears....

"Well, I guess everybody does it a little differn't,"

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: hook_n_line] #6987229 12/07/17 08:42 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

Get one of these makes quick cuts on legs and down the center. deer will peel like a banana.

Link?

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987240 12/07/17 08:49 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Link?

Cheap too,
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-skinning-tool

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987244 12/07/17 08:52 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

"Well, I guess everybody does it a little differn't,"

After skinning with the winch I do it like that. My uncle was a butcher and showed me how to pop the ball joints and cut the tendons on the ankle joints and never need an ax or saw.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: duckkillah] #6987248 12/07/17 08:55 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Does no one simply cut the meat from the bone around the pelvis and then pop the ball out of the socket???

Yes, after gutting and skinning.

Same as the knees, and the hocks. Cut around the joints, cut the ligaments, bend/ break sideways, legs come off. I only need a sharp knife, no saws or hatchets.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987350 12/07/17 10:17 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
just a knife here too for legs & splitting the pelvis ... unless a pretty good buck that I can't it the cartilage to split the pelvis to pull the tail end of the guts to rectum out.

always remove the hind quarter by tracing the pelvis to back bone to hit the ball/socket with little wasted meat left on the carcass.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987636 12/08/17 01:39 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Link?

If you are going to be a bear be a grizzly.

Get the Raptor-razor trust me.

Becareful not for those with ADD.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: duckkillah] #6987759 12/08/17 02:58 AM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

That's how I do it. Father in law and brother in law use the battery powered sawzall to cut pelvis, but I hate having to trim out the damn bone chips afterwards. Wastes less meat to trim the bone to the joint.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: duckkillah] #6987794 12/08/17 03:25 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Exactly how I remove the rear quarter.

My method is to skin, remove the quarters, trim the neck and brisket. Make a small slit along the lower spine to remove the tenderloins as the last step.

No need to gut anything. Take the remaining carcass to the field for the critters.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6987803 12/08/17 03:33 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have skinned and quartered a bunch, but discovered about 5 years ago the processor I take them to will do it for $20 - plus will come up and meet me up till 10 PM. Sooo....I just gut them and part with the $20 these days. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6987869 12/08/17 04:40 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C

Back at camp, we skin head up, hanging from an old swingset frame, leaving the back legs touching the ground. Once the hide is peeled back to just above the tail, hold in both hands raise a foot onto it, and step down. The legs are way stronger than the arms. smile

We do a similar thing to the first part, but we hang em upside down. Stepping on the hide thing is one of the best things I've learned.

Also, the reason why we gut/skin our deer in their entirety is because we eat just about all of it. Neck, ribs, brain/tongue sometimes. I understand that many people don't, but we do, hence throwing away a carcass save the quarters, loins, and backstraps does not sit well with me. But again, your tag, your deer, your choice. I'm just explaining why I hold the opinions I have.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6988194 12/08/17 02:31 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Does no one simply cut the meat from the bone around the pelvis and then pop the ball out of the socket???

Same as the knees, and the hocks. Cut around the joints, cut the ligaments, bend/ break sideways, legs come off. I only need a sharp knife, no saws or hatchets.

That is how we do it, once you figure out the joints it only takes a second.
My brother would use a pair of tree loppers to cut the bones, they were sharp and would poke through a zip lock bag like a knife. He now separates them at the joint too.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Simple Searcher] #6988373 12/08/17 04:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

That is how we do it, once you figure out the joints it only takes a second.
My brother would use a pair of tree loppers to cut the bones, they were sharp and would poke through a zip lock bag like a knife. He now separates them at the joint too.

Telling you guys, check out Rapor Razor. Been super happy with mine

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide