Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,259
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986438 12/07/17 01:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s just gutting/skinning a deer.

Method or how long it takes doesn’t matter much as long as the job gets done.

I would have handed the knife to him and said “Get after it.” smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Sneaky] #6986440 12/07/17 01:04 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I’ll admit that I’m slow, and I’ve done it enough times to be quick about it. I take my time. Cutting into the guts teaches a person, the first time, it’s not worth anything to do it a second time. Maybe I’m clumsy. I can’t even gut a deer without cutting myself.

I'm slow too, some of it is because I've always tried to be careful to make sure I don't cut the gut sack and some of it is simply because...well...I'm slow...lol. I usually don't gut a deer but skin and quarter them but I'm pretty doggone slow there too because the hands don't have the grip they once did and so it simply takes longer. And because it takes me longer it also factors into my decision as to whether to pull the trigger or not. When it's hotter there are a lot more flys and I do not want them laying eggs all over my deer! Ugh!

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986465 12/07/17 01:22 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Once hung, it takes me 3 to 5 minutes unless it is a gut shot then there is a lot of trimming. Not really trying to do it as fast as I can just normally how long it takes.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986471 12/07/17 01:28 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I like to take my time and do the same thing every time. hang the deer, get a fresh havalon blade put on, get another one on standby but not open with my leatherman next to it for easy on/off. Then crack 2 beers and have then on the table, glove up and get to work. I did taxidermy for years, I like to be methodical and steady. I hate it when people try to give me advise on how to do it, but its usually just my dad and he does it to be a smartas@. I love having a couple beers with the old man after a hunt while cleaning a deer. To me that is as much a part of the hunt as actually hunting.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986473 12/07/17 01:29 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Overheard at deer camp in 1979 in the hill country NW of Marble Falls:

"And this knife is sooo sharp it'll cut your finger off before you even feel it."
Followed closely by: "OH F*&K, TAKE ME TO THE ER!!"

Luckily there were people in camp to clean the deer while I took "The Toolman" to get his left index finger sewed up.

The ER folks were quite amused at our blue shop towel and camo duct tape bandage.
While sewing away, the doctor said it was a good thing there was a bone there to stop the blade from cutting it completely off...

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Sneaky] #6986528 12/07/17 01:59 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I’ll admit that I’m slow, and I’ve done it enough times to be quick about it. I take my time. Cutting into the guts teaches a person, the first time, it’s not worth anything to do it a second time. Maybe I’m clumsy. I can’t even gut a deer without cutting myself.
I take my time too....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: SapperTitan] #6986534 12/07/17 02:07 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Ft hood doesn't want us to gut their animals or really even touch them during that process. I will give tips but some of these guys it is painful to watch. Had one guy take about 20 minutes to gut a buck. I can do it in a few minutes easy. I have always been very hands on so standing there and watching someone do it a way you consider wrong it hard lol.

I understand what your saying completely. I also like how you said "a way you consider wrong" I got my way and its the right way, but I'm not alone there are as many ways to gut a deer as there are to skin a cat.

What really gets under my skin is sometimes I have gutted/skinned/quartered deer for people who will try to tell you how they want it... ill do it or they can but I'm not going to be told how.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986540 12/07/17 02:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Between all the hugs and her asking me questions it took me about 20 minutes (maybe 30) to gut my wife’s buck last week - I wouldn’t have cared if it took 2 hours.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: krmitchell] #6986545 12/07/17 02:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: MClark
I will get the animal hanging and start cutting. My friend, the land owner, will watch for a few minutes and say, "Give me the knife, go shoot another one." I am too slow for him to watch.

M

I won't jump in because someone is slow but I like helping.....I also don't mind cleaning a deer for someone. I guess it makes me feel like I was part of the hunt as well then. No different than jumping in to help a buddy clean fish, even if I didn't catch em. Part of the fun at deer camp IMO.

Agree I always try to help. My dad hasn't gutted a deer or hog when my brother or I were there in 15 years. He gives compliments, thanks and will keep your coffee or beer (whichever fits the weather full cheers) I feel like I owe the old man that and more.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986620 12/07/17 02:57 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I've been told, in certain things, slow is very good. grin

Were you a good listener confused2 bolt

texas flag

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: krmitchell] #6986630 12/07/17 03:01 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
It's always weird to see it done with the front end of the deer facing up.

My dad's complain is that he does it meticulously so as not to puncture any guts or get any pee or anything on the rest of the meat/hide. A good portion of the guides that skin/gut our animals (when the option is on the table that is) will get a little bit of that bile or pee on some part and it annoys him. But he doesn't really get mad or tell them to change what they're doing, just vents to me when we get home and have to clean and cut it up for the freezer.

I don't really care either way, it's gonna get hosed down anyway.

Deer camp in Georgia: load deer onto the front of the ATV, take it to the cleaning station, hang it up, cut out the bakstrap (sometimes without even skinning!), cut out the quarters, the rest of it goes to the "deer graveyard." This really bothered me because there was a lot of meat being thrown away, the guys there didn't like the smell or the hassle of gutting it. But hey, your tag, your deer, your decision.

I stopped gutting deer years ago. Way too easy to leave them in and the only thing sacrificed is the ribs.

Tenderloins confused2

Last edited by Stub; 12/07/17 03:01 PM.

texas flag

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986636 12/07/17 03:06 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I take my time except for when it is really cold up

texas flag

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986671 12/07/17 03:26 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I used to hunt with a guy that was a master at cleaning deer - maybe 5 minutes, sometimes less. He was so good the rest of us just allowed him to do it for us, and he enjoyed it. Left on my own though, it is a slower process. I try not to get in a hurry so as not to cut myself, or open guts.

One thing that has really helped me is the "Butt Out". May not work for everyone, but it takes my process down from maybe 20 minutes to 10.

www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...ASABEgLr9_D_BwE

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Stub] #6986721 12/07/17 03:48 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Stub

My dad's complain is that he does it meticulously so as not to puncture any guts or get any pee or anything on the rest of the meat/hide. A good portion of the guides that skin/gut our animals (when the option is on the table that is) will get a little bit of that bile or pee on some part and it annoys him. But he doesn't really get mad or tell them to change what they're doing, just vents to me when we get home and have to clean and cut it up for the freezer.

Deer camp in Georgia: load deer onto the front of the ATV, take it to the cleaning station, hang it up, cut out the bakstrap (sometimes without even skinning!), cut out the quarters, the rest of it goes to the "deer graveyard." This really bothered me because there was a lot of meat being thrown away, the guys there didn't like the smell or the hassle of gutting it. But hey, your tag, your deer, your decision.

I stopped gutting deer years ago. Way too easy to leave them in and the only thing sacrificed is the ribs.

Tenderloins confused2

The tenderloins are easy to get out without gutting
right behind the ribs cut along the back bone
Throw the carcass away with the guts still inside.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Nitro27] #6986724 12/07/17 03:50 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Nitro27

Tenderloins confused2

Sounds like a plan up

texas flag

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986730 12/07/17 03:52 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
My brother and I clean a lot of deer (mostly mulies) every year, and have a pretty efficient system. On occasion I'll have a client try to tell me I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty quick to hand them the knife and say "show me" then.

Getting the hide off of a big mulie can be a lot of work. Over the years we've tried all the tricks to try and make it go faster. Like the golf ball winch method. And the air compressor needle under the skin method (blows them up like a balloon). But bottom line just getting right after it with a sharp knife is the most expeditious way about it.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Dalroo] #6986758 12/07/17 04:02 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Dalroo
I used to hunt with a guy that was a master at cleaning deer - maybe 5 minutes, sometimes less. He was so good the rest of us just allowed him to do it for us, and he enjoyed it. Left on my own though, it is a slower process. I try not to get in a hurry so as not to cut myself, or open guts.

One thing that has really helped me is the "Butt Out". May not work for everyone, but it takes my process down from maybe 20 minutes to 10.

www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...ASABEgLr9_D_BwE

The butt out has got to be a joke right?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986780 12/07/17 04:11 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I get the call "I got one think I can bring it over?" rofl I used to be fast but since I broke my shoulder i'm slowing down a little every year. I could have one in the cooler in 5 minutes now it takes about 15 minutes.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986782 12/07/17 04:12 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
20 minutes? 10 minutes? Man, I thought I was old and slow but I did four in 28 minutes the other night, bad back and all. I did have a leg-holder but I did all the other work myself.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Stub] #6986787 12/07/17 04:13 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Tenderloins confused2

Just cut the guts down like you would normally gut a deer after the backstraps and shoulders are off. The guts will stay inside the ribs and you can easily get the tenderloins from inside this way. Then cut the spine, drop the rib cage/guts and you can cut your hams apart.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986824 12/07/17 04:30 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
There's an old man on our lease that always tries to con people into doing all of his work for him, but NEVER helping anyone else out regardless of what it may be. His son (mid to late 40's) is on the lease, but he'll still try to pawn everything on others before his son. Last time I was out, he had a doe hung up in our cleaning hut and says "I saw your dad out here last weekend, and he offered you to clean all of my deer this season." HA! Good luck with that one buddy. I don't mind helping one bit, as long as I can get some help when it's needed on my end too.

I've gotten used to cleaning deer hanging by their back legs over the past 6 years. This past weekend hunting with dad, I cleaned one on the ground and it took much longer than it used to. roflmao

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: dkershen] #6986861 12/07/17 04:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: dkershen
My brother and I clean a lot of deer (mostly mulies) every year, and have a pretty efficient system. On occasion I'll have a client try to tell me I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty quick to hand them the knife and say "show me" then.

Getting the hide off of a big mulie can be a lot of work. Over the years we've tried all the tricks to try and make it go faster. Like the golf ball winch method. And the air compressor needle under the skin method (blows them up like a balloon). But bottom line just getting right after it with a sharp knife is the most expeditious way about it.

Lol tried all that too. Same conclusion.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: redchevy] #6986888 12/07/17 05:04 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: redchevy
The butt out has got to be a joke right?

That was my reaction at first as well - a friend bought them for several of us a few years ago. I threw mine in bag and forgot about it, until one of the others mentioned how well it works. Sure 'nuff - I am now a believer. No need to split pelvis or cut around anus when using it. Takes about 20 seconds to get the intestines back and out of way.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: ZK-315] #6986889 12/07/17 05:05 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
There's an old man on our lease that always tries to con people into doing all of his work for him, but NEVER helping anyone else out regardless of what it may be. His son (mid to late 40's) is on the lease, but he'll still try to pawn everything on others before his son. Last time I was out, he had a doe hung up in our cleaning hut and says "I saw your dad out here last weekend, and he offered you to clean all of my deer this season." HA! Good luck with that one buddy. I don't mind helping one bit, as long as I can get some help when it's needed on my end too.

I've gotten used to cleaning deer hanging by their back legs over the past 6 years. This past weekend hunting with dad, I cleaned one on the ground and it took much longer than it used to. roflmao

I would never volunteer your assistance other than on my own stuff partyon555 clap

I used to be really fast cause I got a lot of practice (dad was allergic to the hair or dander), so I gutted, skinned and quartered a bunch ... I was the grunt as a kid and pretty much did everyone's deer, so easily 100+ per season ... then as my kids and nephews were growing up (and then SIL) teaching them I got a lot of practice too. As I get older with bad back & knees and much less practice, I have slowed drastically.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Nitro27] #6987013 12/07/17 06:10 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Nitro27

Tenderloins confused2

Exactly! I'm amazed at how many people actually gut their deer. I have not gutted an animal in years. You can get everything (including tenderloins) quickly and cleanly without gutting.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide