Forum Stats
62840 Members
46 Forums
440472 Topics
6066174 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6901073 - 09/27/17 02:39 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cuero
The first guys at Hopper's ought to put up a "THF" sign and group up to swap tales.

#6922328 - 10/16/17 11:40 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
dorr maine Offline
Light Foot

I also was draw 4-8. coming from fort worth, we should chat.8176140464 kevin

#6922337 - 10/16/17 11:46 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
dorr maine Offline
Light Foot

I was draw 4-8 hunt, coming from fort worth. if anyone else with those dates wants to share info send me a message. more friends the better kevin

#6922357 - 10/16/17 12:00 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
dorr maine Offline
Light Foot

drawn 4-8 anyone else with those dates send me a message. more friends the better. coming from fort worth. guess I'll be staying at hoppers.

#6924063 - 10/17/17 05:58 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: mley1]
dorr maine Offline
Light Foot

Hi I got drawn 4-8 at Aransas and will be at hopper's in rv area. I will be in a solid white Winnebago maybe we can work together some. I've never layed eyes on the place any help would be appreciated. Hope to see you there. I have a couple openings for a mule deer hunt in January we could discus. Hope to get together, Kevin

#6939748 - 10/30/17 03:10 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Johnny Rocket Offline
Light Foot

Hi Kevin - My buddy and I were going to stay at hoppers but cabins were all booked, weather was unpredictable so we didnít want to risk it and camp.probably booking a cheap motel/inn in Austwell. We are headed down Thursday night so we can scout Friday and set up our blinds. Weíll only be hunting Saturday and Sunday, heading back to Dallas Sunday night since my buddy has to work..... hope to see you there! -johnny

#6940139 - 10/30/17 08:16 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Metalman2004 Offline
Green Horn

Good luck to all of you that have first season! Be sure to let us know what you find out there!

I have the Dec 9-13 dates as well. I plan on camping at Hopperís as well. I spoke to the lady there and she said camping spots are first come first serve. Iíll be looking for the THF flag!

#6946544 - 11/04/17 08:10 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Johnny Rocket Offline
Light Foot

First day at Aransas and we landed a Spike, Kevin landed a young buck. In the cooler there are a total of 4 deer and 3 hogs. Hunting here is tough unless you have a tripod.... the grass is high from the rains and there are no big trees for tree stands.... we are using pop ups and have a major disadvantage. Deer is everywhere, we just canít see them in the blinds!we got lucky the Spike came next to the blind to eat and didnít scent us

#6946643 - 11/04/17 09:47 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Congrats! Thanks for the report!

Probably get a tripod at Academy in Victoria, about an hour away.

Edited by Ranch Dog (11/04/17 09:48 PM)

#6962831 - 11/16/17 12:05 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Belton TX
Made at recon trip down on the 11th to check out Hoppers and the Refuge. We have a slot for 9-13 DEC. The visitor office is closed due to the storm, so no one was around to talk to. At the time did not realize the hunter check-in station was down the road a bit. So drove the auto tour route to get a look at the terrain. It ranged from thick brush to open pasture land. Stopped at Jones Lake and did see one large hog and lots of rooting around areas and I mean lots. So the hog hunting should be good. We did see a few doe along the road as well. At Jones Lake there was a 14-16' gator was sunning itself. So there are definitely gators in the area.

As for Hoppers, it is pretty primitive. We tent camped on a grassy area by the water. There is room for many campers in this area. They have a pavilion to get out of the weather and a street lamp close by. No tables under the pavallion, I assume the storm took them away. There is one outside restroom and another in the bar/office. Showers are $3. This is a family run business and they do not seem to be really promoting it. Getting in touch with Adella is hit or miss. I called 3 times and left messages before I left on Friday and finally called a 4th and got her. Camping is cheap, $10, $25 if you want power. I don't believe the cabins are open yet. My son enjoyed the bar area, I only went in to pay the camp fee. There is a fireplace and big screen tv along with several tables. Also there is a separate RV area up the hill that had one camper on it.

So you get what you pay for. The good news it is less than 5 minutes from the Refuge. I did call Goose Island but they are still closed.

We did some duck hunting and got a few. We saw thousands of them in Hynes Bay but they were all congregated in open water. We did our hunting in Guadalupe WMA. Lots of duck there but tough to get in there to hunt. Very swampy.

Took the dogs and they had a blast down there running around in the swamp. Just glad they did not encounter a gator.

Bugs were not too bad on this trip but there was a good breeze most of the time.

Looking forward the December trip, will be at Hopper in a Orange Big Agnes tent.

Charlie

http://bit.ly/TxQuail

#6963354 - 11/16/17 08:41 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Charlie Tuna]
Metalman2004 Offline
Green Horn

Originally Posted By: Charlie Tuna
Made at recon trip down on the 11th to check out Hoppers and the Refuge. We have a slot for 9-13 DEC. The visitor office is closed due to the storm, so no one was around to talk to. At the time did not realize the hunter check-in station was down the road a bit. So drove the auto tour route to get a look at the terrain. It ranged from thick brush to open pasture land. Stopped at Jones Lake and did see one large hog and lots of rooting around areas and I mean lots. So the hog hunting should be good. We did see a few doe along the road as well. At Jones Lake there was a 14-16' gator was sunning itself. So there are definitely gators in the area.

As for Hoppers, it is pretty primitive. We tent camped on a grassy area by the water. There is room for many campers in this area. They have a pavilion to get out of the weather and a street lamp close by. No tables under the pavallion, I assume the storm took them away. There is one outside restroom and another in the bar/office. Showers are $3. This is a family run business and they do not seem to be really promoting it. Getting in touch with Adella is hit or miss. I called 3 times and left messages before I left on Friday and finally called a 4th and got her. Camping is cheap, $10, $25 if you want power. I don't believe the cabins are open yet. My son enjoyed the bar area, I only went in to pay the camp fee. There is a fireplace and big screen tv along with several tables. Also there is a separate RV area up the hill that had one camper on it.

So you get what you pay for. The good news it is less than 5 minutes from the Refuge. I did call Goose Island but they are still closed.

We did some duck hunting and got a few. We saw thousands of them in Hynes Bay but they were all congregated in open water. We did our hunting in Guadalupe WMA. Lots of duck there but tough to get in there to hunt. Very swampy.

Took the dogs and they had a blast down there running around in the swamp. Just glad they did not encounter a gator.

Bugs were not too bad on this trip but there was a good breeze most of the time.

Looking forward the December trip, will be at Hopper in a Orange Big Agnes tent.

Charlie

Thanks for the info Charlie. Iíll be there at the same time. I was in Victoria for work this week and was really hoping to have time to do what you did but I didnít so Iím glad you were able to report on it. Iím getting excited!

#6968934 - 11/21/17 09:22 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Good luck in December, hope you will offer a report!

#6985418 - 12/06/17 12:58 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Johnny Rocket]
mley1 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Santa Fe, TX
I'll be headed out in the morning to Hoppers Landing. Hope to meet up with some of you down there. I'll be in blue Ram pickup, with an Aliner camper. The camper sorta looks like a fiberglass tent on wheels, lol.

Marty

#6986618 - 12/07/17 08:56 AM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: mley1]
Charlie Tuna Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Belton TX
Originally Posted By: mley1
I'll be headed out in the morning to Hoppers Landing. Hope to meet up with some of you down there. I'll be in blue Ram pickup, with an Aliner camper. The camper sorta looks like a fiberglass tent on wheels, lol.

Marty

My wife and I will be pulling in to Hoppers around 1200 on Friday. Will be in white Tundra and two wild pups running around. Hope the camp area is not too wet from all the rain.

Sighted in the rifles earlier in the week so they are ready to go. Now to find a good spot in Aransas Refuge to setup.

Charlie

http://bit.ly/TxQuail

#6987433 - 12/07/17 05:12 PM Re: Aransas National Wildlife Refuge lotto [Re: Charlie Tuna]
mley1 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Santa Fe, TX
Originally Posted By: Charlie Tuna
Originally Posted By: mley1

Marty

My wife and I will be pulling in to Hoppers around 1200 on Friday. Will be in white Tundra and two wild pups running around. Hope the camp area is not too wet from all the rain.

Sighted in the rifles earlier in the week so they are ready to go. Now to find a good spot in Aransas Refuge to setup.

Charlie

Charlie, the lower end by the bay is pretty wet. Iím on the upper end where the power hook ups are. Itís not bad up here. Even with all the rain, and itís still raining, itís not bad. Iíll be headed in to ANWF first thing in the morning to scout. Itís been many years since Iíve been here. So, Iím not sure where to start, but Iím gonna point my nose into the wind and hope for the best. See you Friday sometime.

Marty

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide