Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Heard at the skinning/gutting station... #6985977 12/07/17 01:00 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
"Well, I guess everybody does it a little differn't," uttered by some rube you just met while he's standing way inside your "personal space". mad

What have you heard?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6985996 12/07/17 01:18 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Nothing like that. We have a small group of guys that don’t really care how someone else does it. Of course, we don’t have guys from neighboring leases, that we don’t know, at our gutting station. I’m thankful for that.

You back out there chasing that big mule deer?

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986031 12/07/17 01:43 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Back early. Shot a dink. Worst case of ground shrinkage I've had in decades. Uphill, at dusk. There's a chance he's ancient, but still, a humbling experience. 'Shot a good WT cull though. But both in the same afternoon. My back is talking to me.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986040 12/07/17 01:50 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Randy- "may I offer a suggestion?"
Lonnie- "just go in the house, I'm not gonna do it to suite you"
Randy- "Ok"

(Randy is an artist processing deer)

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986043 12/07/17 01:52 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I don't gut deer, our son or one of the nephews does that for me.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6986045 12/07/17 01:53 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Randy- "may I offer a suggestion?"
Lonnie- "just go in the house, I'm not gonna do it to suite you"
Randy- "Ok"

(Randy is an artist processing deer)

Ya see, THIS is what I'm comfortable around.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986049 12/07/17 01:55 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
The one I like to hear is "Let me show you how to do that"

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986057 12/07/17 01:59 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
As a volunteer deer guide on Ft Hood one of the hardest parts for me is standing there watching someone gut their deer lol. I just want to jump in there and do it for them they take so long lol.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: SapperTitan] #6986092 12/07/17 02:21 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
As a volunteer deer guide on Ft Hood one of the hardest parts for me is standing there watching someone gut their deer lol. I just want to jump in there and do it for them they take so long lol.

Teaching an adult to do something is a tightrope to walk. Not be condescending, but show them a better way, respectfully.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6986101 12/07/17 02:26 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Teaching an adult to do something is a tightrope to walk. Not be condescending, but show them a better way, respectfully.
Ft hood doesn't want us to gut their animals or really even touch them during that process. I will give tips but some of these guys it is painful to watch. Had one guy take about 20 minutes to gut a buck. I can do it in a few minutes easy. I have always been very hands on so standing there and watching someone do it a way you consider wrong it hard lol.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: SapperTitan] #6986113 12/07/17 02:32 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Ft hood doesn't want us to gut their animals or really even touch them during that process. I will give tips but some of these guys it is painful to watch. Had one guy take about 20 minutes to gut a buck. I can do it in a few minutes easy. I have always been very hands on so standing there and watching someone do it a way you consider wrong it hard lol.

I didn't say do it for them.

Explain.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986129 12/07/17 02:40 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Two boys, 10-12 year olds, were examining the gut bucket and showing there knowledge of internal parts;
One was pointing at the liver "this is the liver."
Then poking at a kidney "this is the other liver"

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986136 12/07/17 02:47 AM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Not to brag but I've never met anyone who can skin and quarter one faster then me. Ok maybe my brother but he does it the same way. I never try to help people unless they ask. I like to watch other people any time I can. They is always something to learn.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6986138 12/07/17 02:48 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

I didn't say do it for them.

Explain.
And I said I'm very hands on and have a hard time just standing there explaining.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986143 12/07/17 02:49 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Later, when it was just the rancher and me, he threw a full-blown rancher cussing hissy fit about how young the bucks were that "Mr. Helpful" and crew had shot, gonna run their arse off, etc.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986190 12/07/17 03:18 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It's not a race for me. It's time to recount the hunt, enjoy some beer and pay homage to the animal that just gave it's life for me to eat for another year on.

And if I were in a big hurry I'd still be slower than some because I'm just slower than I used to be. smile ani

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986195 12/07/17 03:21 AM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I've been told, in certain things, slow is very good. grin

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: J.G.] #6986211 12/07/17 03:30 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Usually when you clean/quarter your deer in half the time they start to take notice that they may be doing something wrong.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986214 12/07/17 03:31 AM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
I will get the animal hanging and start cutting. My friend, the land owner, will watch for a few minutes and say, "Give me the knife, go shoot another one." I am too slow for him to watch.

M

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986220 12/07/17 03:33 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I’ll admit that I’m slow, and I’ve done it enough times to be quick about it. I take my time. Cutting into the guts teaches a person, the first time, it’s not worth anything to do it a second time. Maybe I’m clumsy. I can’t even gut a deer without cutting myself.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986235 12/07/17 03:42 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I always feel like an idiot on the first one of the season. If there is someone there I feel more pressure and get frustrated. Once I dig into the 2nd one I feel back to normal.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Creekrunner] #6986240 12/07/17 03:43 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
It's always weird to see it done with the front end of the deer facing up.

My dad's complain is that he does it meticulously so as not to puncture any guts or get any pee or anything on the rest of the meat/hide. A good portion of the guides that skin/gut our animals (when the option is on the table that is) will get a little bit of that bile or pee on some part and it annoys him. But he doesn't really get mad or tell them to change what they're doing, just vents to me when we get home and have to clean and cut it up for the freezer.

I don't really care either way, it's gonna get hosed down anyway.

Deer camp in Georgia: load deer onto the front of the ATV, take it to the cleaning station, hang it up, cut out the bakstrap (sometimes without even skinning!), cut out the quarters, the rest of it goes to the "deer graveyard." This really bothered me because there was a lot of meat being thrown away, the guys there didn't like the smell or the hassle of gutting it. But hey, your tag, your deer, your decision.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: MClark] #6986244 12/07/17 03:45 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: MClark
I will get the animal hanging and start cutting. My friend, the land owner, will watch for a few minutes and say, "Give me the knife, go shoot another one." I am too slow for him to watch.

M

I won't jump in because someone is slow but I like helping.....I also don't mind cleaning a deer for someone. I guess it makes me feel like I was part of the hunt as well then. No different than jumping in to help a buddy clean fish, even if I didn't catch em. Part of the fun at deer camp IMO.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: chital_shikari] #6986251 12/07/17 03:47 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
It's always weird to see it done with the front end of the deer facing up.

My dad's complain is that he does it meticulously so as not to puncture any guts or get any pee or anything on the rest of the meat/hide. A good portion of the guides that skin/gut our animals (when the option is on the table that is) will get a little bit of that bile or pee on some part and it annoys him. But he doesn't really get mad or tell them to change what they're doing, just vents to me when we get home and have to clean and cut it up for the freezer.

I don't really care either way, it's gonna get hosed down anyway.

Deer camp in Georgia: load deer onto the front of the ATV, take it to the cleaning station, hang it up, cut out the bakstrap (sometimes without even skinning!), cut out the quarters, the rest of it goes to the "deer graveyard." This really bothered me because there was a lot of meat being thrown away, the guys there didn't like the smell or the hassle of gutting it. But hey, your tag, your deer, your decision.

I stopped gutting deer years ago. Way too easy to leave them in and the only thing sacrificed is the ribs.

Re: Heard at the skinning/gutting station... [Re: Sneaky] #6986341 12/07/17 05:55 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I’ll admit that I’m slow, and I’ve done it enough times to be quick about it. I take my time. Cutting into the guts teaches a person, the first time, it’s not worth anything to do it a second time. Maybe I’m clumsy. I can’t even gut a deer without cutting myself.

I take my time too. I also wear gloves. Had a fellow troop once who had a scratch on his hand that got infected. A couple of days later, I picked him up at the hospital after he had surgery to cut open his hand in an attempt to remove the infection. Doctor said he almost lost his hand. The following days of picking off dead skin with tweezers was a real thrill as well. barf

As for the time it takes to gut a deer, I've found each deer is different. The guts simply "fall out" of some, and others don't seem like they want to give theirs up.

I go slow so as to keep all my digits. And I think making any connection between how quickly a fella guts or skins a deer and some level of masculinity is asinine. rolleyes

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide