439836 Topics
6057060 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6985524 - 12/06/17 02:00 PM Sighting in rifles
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

Quick question: a scope/rifle when zeroed stays zeroed regardless of who is behind the gun, right?

Like it would be a mistake to have a rifle zeroed to the owner and then adjust the scope because of a change of impact when shooters differ.
That impact change would be the shooters fault, not the rifle, meaning the rifle would still hit where the reticle lines up if the shooter does his/her part, regardless of who it is.

2 examples: (what not to do) I had a big impact change with my dad's rifle when I was practicing for Palo Duro Canyon; we changed the point of impact to match me. Thinking back on it, that was probably my crappy form that led to the impact change and we didn't really need to readjust.

(what to do) I zeroed a rifle that is solely as a loner rifle. Multiple different shooters have killed game with it without touching the scope. My dad's rifle is zeroed to him and has been loaned to friends, family, and new shooters and they have all done fine with it on both game and paper targets.

#6985567 - 12/06/17 02:22 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
rickym Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: texas
I believe, at under 200 yards the difference in people eyes shouldn't effect the placement. Now if your talking about 400 yards+, you may see a little movement.

#6985597 - 12/06/17 02:42 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
ETXFIREMAN 1 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Canton, Tx
Lots of variables shooter to shooter. My 6mm Rem was sighted in for me and when my wife shot it she would shoot 2inches left. Her bullet holes would still be touching just 2 inches left.

#6985608 - 12/06/17 02:52 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: ETXFIREMAN 1]
Texasteach Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Ector County
Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1
Lots of variables shooter to shooter. My 6mm Rem was sighted in for me and when my wife shot it she would shoot 2inches left. Her bullet holes would still be touching just 2 inches left.

Amen. It differs in how one holds the rifle (canted, pressure on the grip, etc.). Like the other poster stated within 200 yards probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. When I sight a rifle in for someone, I like to then place them behind the gun, shot a group, and adjust for them.

#6985642 - 12/06/17 03:24 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
P_102 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Grapevine
I would think that parallax plays a big part here but also agree that shorter ranges will show only a small difference. P_102

#6985644 - 12/06/17 03:24 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

I hear y'all.

What I'm trying to say is: if a rifle is sighted in and another shooter comes in and is shooting way off, then it's generally the shooter's fault not the rifle. This is all at 100yd or less.

#6985650 - 12/06/17 03:28 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
Dien Offline
Tracker

Loc: Grand Prairie
Way off then yes generally the shooter.

There position, hold and etc shouldn't account for much at that distance.

#6985663 - 12/06/17 03:33 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
hermano W Offline
Tracker

Loc: Austin County
I'm curious about just how much difference in inches that parallax could possibly make if everything else was equal? It seems like I've read somewhere that it makes very little difference, maybe only a small fraction of an inch, but I can't really remember for sure. If that is true, sighting in for one person should be real close for anyone else.

#6985677 - 12/06/17 03:45 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
patriot07 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Royse City, TX
Shooter's fault? Don't know.

Caused by the difference in shooters? Yes

I had a rifle that would shoot 1-2 inches different depending on how you held it. If you didn't shoulder it hard, it would shoot where I had zero-ed it. If you put a good firm shoulder behind it, then it shot higher. Same group size as long as you held it consistently, but different POI.

#6985707 - 12/06/17 04:08 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: patriot07]
VAFish Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Shooter's fault? Don't know.

Caused by the difference in shooters? Yes

I had a rifle that would shoot 1-2 inches different depending on how you held it. If you didn't shoulder it hard, it would shoot where I had zero-ed it. If you put a good firm shoulder behind it, then it shot higher. Same group size as long as you held it consistently, but different POI.

Very true and I think it's about impossible for the 2nd person to be taught to hold the rifle perfectly to replicate the first person.

So I think the question the OP is asking is should you change the sights for the 2nd person?

My answer is yes, IF the 2nd person is consistently shooting in the same place and they will be using the rifle for a decent period of time.
-- Confucius

#6985822 - 12/06/17 05:18 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Can 2 shooters have a POI change- yes. It's going to be due to different positions and form, and shooter weight. Also, prone vs bench can have a POI shift.

But, if 2 shooters laying prone with good position and good trigger position, they should have the same POI. I have switched rifles with several shooters and both have shot the exact same POI. Short answer is yes, you have to "drive" the rifle correctly.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6985873 - 12/06/17 05:58 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: Texasteach]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Texasteach
Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Amen. It differs in how one holds the rifle (canted, pressure on the grip, etc.). Like the other poster stated within 200 yards probably wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. When I sight a rifle in for someone, I like to then place them behind the gun, shot a group, and adjust for them.

I've had guys shoulder one of my rifles and claim the crosshairs are tilted (canted). They have no idea the vast majority of shooters have a natural cant when shoulding a rifle. My rifles appear canted to them because the crosshairs were leveled true horizontal with the rifle during scope installation. The uninformed novice is likely to "sight level" the crosshairs without any reference to the position of the rifle relative to true horizontal. They often reference a horizontal line when looking through the scope while ignoring the position of the rifle, thinking they must be holding it true horizontal.

Disclaimer: Should you check your scope and rifle with a level, don't try to correct it at this point. Just wait until the season is over to avoid missing a nice deer.

Spring, Texas

#6985999 - 12/06/17 07:19 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

Thanks everybody!

#6986198 - 12/06/17 09:24 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: chital_shikari]
CharlieSierraDelta Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Rockwall TX
I've let my buddies shoot my rifles, and I have shot them as well. I'm not talking about 1 or 2, but probably 15 different rifles between 3 of us. They all shoot to the same POI for all of us, but all of the optics have a parallax adjustment. I would say P102 is onto something there.

Edited by CharlieSierraDelta (12/06/17 09:24 PM)

#6986253 - 12/06/17 09:47 PM Re: Sighting in rifles [Re: CharlieSierraDelta]
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

Originally Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta
I've let my buddies shoot my rifles, and I have shot them as well. I'm not talking about 1 or 2, but probably 15 different rifles between 3 of us. They all shoot to the same POI for all of us, but all of the optics have a parallax adjustment. I would say P102 is onto something there.
Do y'all mean the parallax adjustment on the side/front of the scope or the objective lens adjustment to focus eyes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide