The Sportcat doesn't make a sound.

[Linked Image]
Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: crooked horn] #6992330 12/11/17 10:31 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Like already said, I just don't like wearing a bunch of bulky clothes to the stand that I'll be peeling off about 10:00 and either sweating in or carrying back to camp. We have those little ceramic coated bathroom heaters in every stand. Nice tiny little blue flame, just enough to knock the chill off. I climbed into my stand Saturday morning at 24 degrees. Went to light the heater and realized I'd forgotten to turn the tank on. Climbed back out, went to turn it on. No bottle! Got back in the stand and sent out a mass "Who TF did this?" text. Turns out a buddy was sitting my stand Wednesday and it ran out of propane on him. He took it in to swap out and hadn't gotten back yet. Dang that was a cold morning. I was counting on that little heater amnd wasn't dressed for it.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: crooked horn] #6992518 12/12/17 12:48 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I use Mr Buddy heaters when needed. Quiet, no scent. The older I get I want to be able to enjoy hunting longer and being comfortable.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: Halfadozen] #6992579 12/12/17 01:33 AM
Roll-Tide Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
I use Mr Buddy heaters when needed. Quiet, no scent. The older I get I want to be able to enjoy hunting longer and being comfortable.

mine has a slight smell

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: Ranch Dog] #6992656 12/12/17 02:44 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I've also learned from two great outdoorsmen to take the pleasures where you find them, and in the end, it has nothing to do with whether you can endure the elements or not, but everything to do with how long you can do it.

Best quote I've read in a long time!
I always say it's because "I'm older and wiser!" Those grey hairs have to count for something!

Thank you, Jimbo. In the last thirteen years, I've heard some good ones! I think my dad might have another year or two, but he is sitting this one out because my mom is dying. I moved them out here back then, to keep an eye on them. My mom is going to is pass within the next couple of days. This probably sounds a bit clinical, but I write this with a heavy heart.

Two quotes stick with me at this moment. My uncle was settling in for a nap in a front bedroom; my house is all windows for a complete view of the ranch, I walked in and started to close the blinds to make it darker. He said, "No, no, leave them open. I want to go out looking at paradise." I sleep with the blinds open.

My dad, "I have never regretted and barely remember a shot not taken, but I do regret and will always remember those shots that should not have been taken."

Another thing that I miss is the food these two old geezers brought. I'm not there yet, but I need to be. Some of the best sandwiches I've eaten in my life have been in a blind before sunrise. Heaters, food, wisecracks; a lot of hardcore hunters are missing out on a better experience. I'm hard as most, spent the night in both a chain on and a box tower because I felt that my walk in was causing problems and the route couldn't be adjusted. Both freezing nights. A bunch of other stuff that wasn't fun either, I'm good, strike a match to that heater!

Prayers to you and yours Ranch Dog.

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: crooked horn] #6992693 12/12/17 03:04 AM
B
billyhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
If its cold, buddy heater is on, and I don't care what the temp is, if I'm cold, BOOM, heater is ON!!!!!!

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: crooked horn] #6992824 12/12/17 11:27 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Thank you llbts.

[Linked Image]
Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: crooked horn] #6992828 12/12/17 11:46 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I also have a Sportcat NIB in case my original ever fails. The Sportcat produces 1500 BTU for 15 hours on a lb of propane (my experience is 16 hrs). It is less BTUs than the Buddy, but I've found it ideal for a blind or a tent, but unfortunately, Coleman doesn't make them anymore. They are pretty easy to find still. I've used it in a tent many times when it was below freezing and down to 19°. On that day, I was hunting in East Texas, and I went ahead and carried it up on my chain on and placed it under me, draped an Army surplus wool blanket over me and sat all day snug as a bug.

[Linked Image]
Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: Halfadozen] #6992896 12/12/17 01:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

This is a big X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: llbts1] #6993001 12/12/17 02:24 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: llbts1
I've also learned from two great outdoorsmen to take the pleasures where you find them, and in the end, it has nothing to do with whether you can endure the elements or not, but everything to do with how long you can do it.

I always say it's because "I'm older and wiser!" Those grey hairs have to count for something!

Thank you, Jimbo. In the last thirteen years, I've heard some good ones! I think my dad might have another year or two, but he is sitting this one out because my mom is dying. I moved them out here back then, to keep an eye on them. My mom is going to is pass within the next couple of days. This probably sounds a bit clinical, but I write this with a heavy heart.

Two quotes stick with me at this moment. My uncle was settling in for a nap in a front bedroom; my house is all windows for a complete view of the ranch, I walked in and started to close the blinds to make it darker. He said, "No, no, leave them open. I want to go out looking at paradise." I sleep with the blinds open.

My dad, "I have never regretted and barely remember a shot not taken, but I do regret and will always remember those shots that should not have been taken."

Another thing that I miss is the food these two old geezers brought. I'm not there yet, but I need to be. Some of the best sandwiches I've eaten in my life have been in a blind before sunrise. Heaters, food, wisecracks; a lot of hardcore hunters are missing out on a better experience. I'm hard as most, spent the night in both a chain on and a box tower because I felt that my walk in was causing problems and the route couldn't be adjusted. Both freezing nights. A bunch of other stuff that wasn't fun either, I'm good, strike a match to that heater!

x2. Sorry to hrar about Mom, Ranch dog

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: llbts1] #6993010 12/12/17 02:29 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: llbts1

angel

texas flag

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: Roll-Tide] #6993017 12/12/17 02:31 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide

mine has a slight smell

X2 on smell and makes a tiny bit of noise, especially when I accidentally kick it hammer

texas flag

Re: Heaters in the Stand [Re: crooked horn] #6993431 12/12/17 06:54 PM
C
CaveManRancher Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I guide hunts and take a heater anytime the temp is cold......I do it for the hunter of course............

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide