Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: MELackey] #6987055 12/07/17 06:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: MELackey
Some time back in the late 50's or early 60's, my grandfather and several of his friends got on a place in Newton County that was 4400 acres. Years went by and they all had sons (or son in laws) and then grandsons (my generation). The land sold between timber companies every now and then, but we kept leasing. The hunting sucked, but honestly we were 3 generations of families that grew up together. It was always more about just having a place to go and hanging with everyone than it was about actually killing anything.

Then in 2001 or 2002, Temple Inland sold to some investment group. I think it was the teachers retirement fund for somewhere like New York, then Temple leased the timber rights back. Whoever was representing the ownership was a Yankee from somewhere up North. They didn't understand Texas hunting lease rates. They didn't understand the distinction of SE Texas vs South Texas. They quadrupled our per acre price to get it in line with what South Texas land leased for, and that was that. About that time my in laws bought a little over 500 acres in Coryell County and I now have the best hunting I ever had.

But I still miss the old place.
We've seen pics of the in-laws place. Very nice up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6988465 12/08/17 05:20 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Had a lease near Brady that we jokingly said had 800-900 acres, depending on the water level in Lake Brady. First year the lake was down and a friend and I went out and spread wheat and some stuff we'd gotten on sale out on the mud flats. We could hear deer jumping into the lake to swim across before shooting light. Second year was better, the lease hadn't been hunted in 5 years and was ok for deer but loaded with turkey and quail.
Got to bow hunt the third year when the manager came by and told us the bank had sold the land and though we had a written contract that stated we had 90 days to get off, we were told we had to be off by Nov 15 (about a month). Took our stands and feeders and campers off and one of the guys came out and used round-up on the various food plots we had.
Another member was an attorney and filed on the bank and got us some of our $$ back for breaking the contract but still miss hunting that place.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6988494 12/08/17 05:37 PM
T
txbowhunt7 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Not a lease, but grew up hunting my uncles 300 acre cattle ranch. Always saw plenty of deer, and after ARs we started to see/shoot some solid deer. Uncle ended up leasing the adjacent 700 acres. Countless memories on that ranch, but most importantly it's where my dad taught me to hunt. Then my uncle passed away. My aunt has a son from a previous marriage who married an animal rights/PETA activist. Long story short, my aunt lets them move onto the ranch, and the PETA member makes the executive decision that there won't be any more hunting because "she doesn't want her kids to grow up hearing gunshots." She even called the cops on our neighbor 1/2 mile away that uses propane charges for his small pecan orchard because they sounded like gunfire. I told my aunt that all I do is bowhunt, and since there's 2 entrances to the ranch then nobody would ever have to see or know if I had killed an animal. Didn't matter. Happened 6 years ago, and still stings like its new. Was very fortunate to have the access while we did though.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide