Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6981720 12/04/17 05:44 AM
Mathp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
My dad started on a lease in Llano in the early sixties and I started going with him in 1968. Shot my first deer in 1969 and eventually was a lease member I'm guessing in the late 70's when I graduated college. I can remember the price going from $250 to $400 and I couldn't believe it! Fast forward to 2012 and my dad's partners were leaving the lease and I was told I had to bring two additional hunters on top of my son and I to make four, but I couldn't bring my brother in law and another buddy because they had been on the lease and left, and policy was if you ever leave you cannot come back. Owner said I can find others to join but he is looking at the same time so I couldn't be sure that I could follow through with anyone I recruited. This after 43 years! So I packed everything I could on my truck and a 16' trailer and got another lease in Breckenridge, which I am enjoying to this day. Still it hurts not to go to the place my father and I enjoyed so many great times!

https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/mathp/9542e851.jpgIMG]http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/mathp/LlanoBucksdownsized_zps6632cebe.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6981803 12/04/17 01:14 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Used to hunt a place in NE Texas with my dad and brothers. LO was good friend of our Grandfather and let us hunt his land in exchange to keep it maintained(fix fence/bale hay/anything he needed us to do) since he wasn't in the best shape. LO died one day and we showed up to funeral to show our respect. We knew we were probably done hunting there so we didn't call his kids asking about our hunting spots there on that land...month before season started, one of his sons calls us and said no more hunting on the land. We knew it was his property now so nothing we can do about it. Last I heard, the son still has the land, but never takes care of it, and has a lot of trespasser problems that he didn't have when his dad owned it. That was just one of those ohh well moments....hopped onto another lease further south.

Last edited by DPirates80; 12/04/17 01:16 PM.
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6981882 12/04/17 02:16 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Not a lease, but owned by family of my buddies. Same core group hunted together for many years and had a great time, great hunting, and great memories. Times change and they sold ranch (now it is HF) and we've tried to recreate and get the band back together a time or two, but the magic is gone. Sux...I miss it greatly.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6982192 12/04/17 05:27 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Place I grew up hunting with my dad for years not sure what happened. Dad was pretty sure his buddy(lease manager) was having some business issues and never turned over money. Lease manager said landowner sold out to lawyers from Dallas, this was in the 80's.

Not too long ago I found a lease out west. Decent place, landowner was a nice fellow, had it a few years, killed a few good deer and made some good memories with my family. Showed up week before opening day one year and was met by real landowner who was not happy we were hunting in there. Keep in mind we had our stands and camp up for 4-5 years already. Guy we had been paying said "it was a long story". Gave him the benefit of the doubt as we'd known him a little while by now and not had any problems other than that. Moved to another place he had down the road as what the heck else were we going to do that close to season. Worked out all right, but he got crazier by the year. Moved on a few years ago, miss the big deer - don't miss the drama.

I have found with leases best to just enjoy them at the time for what they are, never know when they will disappear.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6982217 12/04/17 05:40 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Had a great lease for years. We worked hard to improve the place, totally remodeled the cabin, fixed fences, improved roads, etc. The LO really appreciated our efforts, and all was well. Managed it hard for several years and started to have some nice deer. Got a new neighbor, and tried to be friendly, invited him to join the WMA, etc. One day we got to sharing pictures and I made the mistake of showing some of the deer we'd been able to manage up and take. Goal was to work together to let the good young bucks develop. 2 months later the LO calls and said she is selling the place, the deep-pockets neighbor made her an offer she couldn't refuse.

Oh well, was good while we had it. Lots of good memories, and lesson learned. As others have said, hold a lease loosely. You never know when it will disappear.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: maximus_flavius] #6982272 12/04/17 06:22 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
[quote=scalebuster]When I was in college I had a lady customer (recently divorced), when I was selling heavy equipment. Shet owned a dairy farm with a lot of property attached to it. I was 23 and she was 42 and built like a Brick [censored].. She was in great shape and worked her butt off every day on the dairy. The lady was endowed like she could have nursed several of the calves by herself. She was always a flirt and let me hunt on the property. She had the cash and traded her dairy equipment in on a regular basis. One evening we got very friendly and it lasted for over a year. She was great and would show up at myt house with home cooked meals for me and my roommates several times a week. I graduated and got a different sales job in Oklahoma. She came to visit a few times but it eventually ended. I bet I could still make a hunting trip down there but she probably wouldn’t look the same 20 years later.

That’s the best hunting place I ever lost.

You had me at " The lady was endowed like she could have nursed several of the calves by herself"

bounce bounce peep

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Bass&More] #6982518 12/04/17 09:44 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Bass&More
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
[quote=scalebuster]When I was in college I had a lady customer (recently divorced), when I was selling heavy equipment. Shet owned a dairy farm with a lot of property attached to it. I was 23 and she was 42 and built like a Brick [censored].. She was in great shape and worked her butt off every day on the dairy. The lady was endowed like she could have nursed several of the calves by herself. She was always a flirt and let me hunt on the property. She had the cash and traded her dairy equipment in on a regular basis. One evening we got very friendly and it lasted for over a year. She was great and would show up at myt house with home cooked meals for me and my roommates several times a week. I graduated and got a different sales job in Oklahoma. She came to visit a few times but it eventually ended. I bet I could still make a hunting trip down there but she probably wouldn’t look the same 20 years later.

That’s the best hunting place I ever lost.

You had me at " The lady was endowed like she could have nursed several of the calves by herself"

bounce bounce peep

partyon555...I'd hit her up for a lease....just for old time sake and all...... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6983116 12/05/17 02:33 AM
B
Buck25-06 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Give us the number we could call for you

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6983163 12/05/17 03:04 AM
B
Buck25-06 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Heard that game warden and his good buddy's not seeing much I'm so sad. Bout to get over it great stories!!!!!✌🏼️

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6983452 12/05/17 01:19 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I had a 1500 acre place I hunted in exchange for up keep. I worked it for 7 years and really saw the herd improve after starting to feed protein. After word got out about how good the deer were looking big money guys started approaching the owner. One day I was told that I could only hunt from the second gate to the river, next year it was from the 3rd gate and so on and so on til I had no place to hunt. I pulled all the feeders and everyone was upset and cussing me. Then the Landowner passed away and they all got kicked off by the owners family. I loved that place and was glad to have been on it as long as I was.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6983638 12/05/17 03:25 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Many years ago we were on a place just outside of San Saba. 20 years worth of hunting on 2000 out of 30K acres. First the LO died, then many years later his wife died. The kids took it over and had ALL the hunters removed. Last I heard they leased almost all of the 30,000 acres to a corporate hunting club.

Fast forward: 2 years ago.... LO had died & son who lived in the area continued to lease to us. Daughter & her husband had relatives who got kicked off their lease in east Texas (I'm told for over-hunting). They talked "mom", the original LO wife, into letting them get on the lease after driving in and seeing feeders, foot plots, & nice blinds. The son was on our side. It was rough country and would hunt 4, but they wanted to put 3 or 4 more on there. We said it was too small for the extra hunters. We were then asked to leave. At least the season was over! We did......and took every piece of wire, t-posts, blinds, camphouse (portable - on skids), meat cooler off, had the electricity cut-off & took out all the electrical boxes and then plowed under all the food plots.... Sure left a lot of nice deer on there though! Believe it or not - I haven't had withdrawal symptoms. Miss the hunting, but don't miss all the work involved in maintaining a lease or LO family issues........ yingyang

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6983719 12/05/17 04:30 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
This new place is great been picky. Just missed big one had him in the 160+ range think he was by cam that is about 100 yds past feeder hope got pic. I agree that the hassle of several feeders and jealous hunters wanting to take what is yours is frustrating I too am enjoying the more relaxed hunting 2 feeders one stand .one spot to mow 1 food plot lots deer!!

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6984294 12/05/17 11:07 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
too many stories to tell about lost leases.

late '60s-mid '70s, western Llano county, ~1000 acres, 8 hunters (my dad being 1, I was a minor that could hunt with him) that had been together for years, paid 10 year lease up front (back then like $500 for entire annual lease), 5 years in, the LO told the hunters both of his sons were getting married and building houses on the ranch, no more hunting but refused to refund the other 5 years moneys and told us just kill 5 more years of deer off the place that season, so we did (maybe more like 10-15 years worth but couldn't tell it by deer numbers).

a few years later settled into northern Llano county, ~800 acres, 6 hunters, 4-5 years in one guy dropped out, so one of the hunters brought in a buddy of his that was brand new to hunting. The new guy shot a barbado doe that he mistook for a WT doe, LO kicked the whole group off.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6984345 12/05/17 11:48 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I've never lost a lease, but I have left two. The last one made me swear I would never lease country, again. It's a bit of a long story, but here goes.

Leased a 1,400 acre high-fenced pasture within a 5,000 ac. high-fenced ranch. On a handshake that, so long as the landowner and his wife were alive, I'd have the place. The ranch was in San Saba Co. and had waaaay too many deer. But there were also outstanding genetics with deer over 160 killed every year. Our agreement was for me to manage the 1,400 acres as I saw fit. We were MLD Type III.

I added five new Atascosa Wildlife deer stands, plus pens and new feeders at all 9 stands on my pasture. Added 11 free-choice protein feeders with pens and built 750 sq feet onto the existing 1,000 sq. ft. cabin. And furnished it to the nines. Added a huge rock patio out back with built in fire pit.

1st season we were supposed to kill 50 deer, per our biologist. Owner only let me have 12 buck tags and 24 doe tags. Fed 110 tons of AntlerMax and 20 tons of corn in the first year. I could guesstimate by feed consumption we had north of 240 deer on that 1,400 acres. We killed one 166" trophy and 11 rat culls up to 118". He finally gave me 10 more doe tags which I promptly filled. The place was crawling with 5+ yr old 110-130 inch deer. And some outstanding up and comers.

Entering the second year, I told the rancher that I could not continue to feed his culls. Stated that we needed 100-120 tags to get the trash out. All the while I'm pouring 10 tons/mo of protein to 'em. After the helicopter census, the rancher and his son met with our biologist. Owner specifically told bio I needed at least 100 tags for my 1,400 acre pasture. Biologist said he would issue 100 and just call if we needed more. Only Type III MLD ranch I've ever been on where the owner has been permitted (for years) to carry 2-3X capacity.

Anyway, owner gives me 25 buck and 25 does tags to get the second season going. We kill 25 does and 13 bucks in the first two weekends. He shows up at camp one morning after I had killed 22" wide, 121" 6 1/2 yr old rake. Says who killed that? Me. Dayuum that's a trophy deer. How you figure owner? He's a pos. Yeah, but I could get a nice trophy fee for a wide buck like that. I knew then it was over.

We filled our 50 tags, shooting only one trophy that scored 176, when we could have shot several other 5 yr olds that were 165-180. I actually rattled in and held off two friends on deer that were 165 and 175 because they were only 5. A "trophy" hunter killed the 175 the next year. He scored 188.

I sold everything I had on the ranch to the owner for 15 cents on the dollar, and walked away. HIs son and son-in-law were severely PO'd. They said I had outdone him by making my lease better than his place. He figured he could package hunt it and make more $ while not having to deal with me on his ranch all the time. That's the only part I understand, privacy.

He sold a few package hunts for a couple years, then folks quit coming for whatever reason. The deer in that pasture have regressed and are still grossly over-populated. And the ranch remains in the MLD program.

In conclusion, I went into this deal eyes wide open. With a man who's word I trusted. I put 110% into making that place one of the best deer leases in Texas. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see my goals through to fruition. I'm a special kind of stupid.

GET IT ALL IN WRITING AND BLESSED BY AN ATTORNEY VERSED IN SUCH MATTERS. BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING cheers

p.s.- the son and I stay in contact. May end up back there some day.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6984853 12/06/17 12:59 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Yes that's pretty country what people can't ruin money and greed can. Close to the good bbq. In Llano.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6985003 12/06/17 02:46 PM
S
smithwr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I was pumping some wells on a place with an abandoned house, one day there was a man at the house do I stopped to talk to him. His dad had died and left "him" the property. He lived out of town so we agreed on $1 an acre and I would keep the house mowed and what not. Second season I wake up in my stand and there is a survey crew driving wood post between me and my feeder.

Turns out the old man left the whole place to 4 siblings and as soon as the other 3 got wind of me being there they sectioned it off to where it was basically useless.

All that over $460 a year

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6985012 12/06/17 02:49 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Losing lease this year, land owners put it up for sale.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: GLC] #6986008 12/07/17 01:27 AM
B
Buck25-06 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Sorry hope you are fortunate to find good one!

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6986248 12/07/17 03:46 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The whole lease thing is wearing me out. It’s not anyone’s fault, necessarily, but everyone’s on a different page all the time. It’s also a lot of money to shoot a few deer. I’m getting off of mine after this season. I may try to find a small, inexpensive place close to the house, for the boys. Mainly, I think I’ll focus on hunting elk and whatnot out west.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Sneaky] #6986274 12/07/17 04:00 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
The whole lease thing is wearing me out.

Man, I hear ya. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. (Can you still say that? grin )

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Sneaky] #6986278 12/07/17 04:03 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The whole lease thing is wearing me out. It’s not anyone’s fault, necessarily, but everyone’s on a different page all the time. It’s also a lot of money to shoot a few deer. I’m getting off of mine after this season. I may try to find a small, inexpensive place close to the house, for the boys. Mainly, I think I’ll focus on hunting elk and whatnot out west.

This is why I've always had a preference to hunt solo (every lease I've been on was by myself or with a single friend of mine). Like you, though, I may stop leasing for a few years and do some paid hunts for a variety of animals.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Creekrunner] #6986308 12/07/17 04:38 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
The whole lease thing is wearing me out.

Man, I hear ya. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. (Can you still say that? grin )

Probably not. Do it, anyway.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6986346 12/07/17 06:19 AM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Some time back in the late 50's or early 60's, my grandfather and several of his friends got on a place in Newton County that was 4400 acres. Years went by and they all had sons (or son in laws) and then grandsons (my generation). The land sold between timber companies every now and then, but we kept leasing. The hunting sucked, but honestly we were 3 generations of families that grew up together. It was always more about just having a place to go and hanging with everyone than it was about actually killing anything.

Then in 2001 or 2002, Temple Inland sold to some investment group. I think it was the teachers retirement fund for somewhere like New York, then Temple leased the timber rights back. Whoever was representing the ownership was a Yankee from somewhere up North. They didn't understand Texas hunting lease rates. They didn't understand the distinction of SE Texas vs South Texas. They quadrupled our per acre price to get it in line with what South Texas land leased for, and that was that. About that time my in laws bought a little over 500 acres in Coryell County and I now have the best hunting I ever had.

But I still miss the old place.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6986478 12/07/17 01:33 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Had place off Tudor Rd Eastland county first hunted it when I was 18 years old I hunted that place for over 20 years all my kids killed there first deer out there so many stories is almost like we grew up there. The PAlo Pinto river went right through it was beautiful the owner eventually died. He was great Guy funny The toughest old rancher you could ever meet one time while having lunch at Mary's Café in Strawn Texas he ask a cute waitress how many children do you have she replied 2 his reply to her was well I'd like to sire the next one! The campsite was right on the banks of the Palo Pento creek it was the best campsite ever big pecan trees lotta water.Fair amount deer lots turkey some quail lots varments this is were all my kids learned to hunt riffel and bow. Moved to what I thaught would be better place in Runnels county between Coleman and Ballanger. We all miss the old place the hunting stories just go on and on. Sounds like new post hunting stories from old lost leases.

Re: Lost deer lease stories. [Re: Buck25-06] #6986784 12/07/17 04:13 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
another one ... my dad slid into a vacant spot on a small NW Burnet county lease with some old friends that had this place for over 30 years when one member had serious health issues. Another member dropped off the next year due to health, so I took that spot (where ZK-315 took his first buck) that was a deer paradise bordered on the north by the Goodrich Ranch (60+k acres) and Lake Buchanan a quarter mile to the south laced with lake houses filled with lush yards, flower gardens, etc. Anyway, after about 4-5 years that I had been on the place, the old landowner that knew all the hunters passed away, leaving the place to his kids that lived in the Tyler area. 2-3 weeks before deer season, the guy we leased from (he leased hunting and grazing rights from LO) called us to tell us the kids decided to lease it directly themselves to some friends of theirs around Tyler and we had 2 weeks to get all our stuff off. He was ticked because he lost the grazing rights also. We had to scramble to get all the stands, feeders, beds & bedding, stove, fridge, tables, chairs, etc. out of the house & ranch, and be off 1 week before season started...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide