Forums46
Topics537,976
Posts9,731,283
Members87,052
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Management Question that I DOUBT I can get a good answer .. [Re: HogSnatch26] #6976564 11/29/17 06:58 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I have noticed browse lines on many ranches in the hill country. No seedling Liveoaks or Spanish oaks to replenish trees that die of oak wilt. One day it will be nothing but ashe juniper.

Last edited by Erathkid; 11/29/17 06:59 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Management Question that I DOUBT I can get a good answer .. [Re: HogSnatch26] #6976728 11/29/17 09:29 PM
C
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
With MLD management, corn, protein, wheat, etc. is not counted as available food when calculating the deer density per acre. Asked the biologist why and his answer was simple and made sense. It is not ever counted because it is not a guarantee, people could decide to not plant wheat, or feeders could not be filled, or a protein feeder could have the protein ruined. It is not part of the natural environment so it is not considered. Although he did agree that protein is beneficial to the deer herd.

And as others have said, corn has no real nutritional value for deer.

Re: Management Question that I DOUBT I can get a good answer .. [Re: HogSnatch26] #6976731 11/29/17 09:33 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
The closer the buck to doe ratio the more aggressive bucks are. They are especially more responsive to rattling and your chances of rattling in a mature buck is better. Ive hunted places with lots of does and only seen bucks a couple times most likely due to so many options as in does.

Re: Management Question that I DOUBT I can get a good answer .. [Re: HogSnatch26] #6976734 11/29/17 09:36 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
When we say corn has no nutritional value what do we mean? Not going to grow big horns or not good for them or its like they aren't eating anything at all? No nutritional value to me means they are just as good not eating it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Management Question that I DOUBT I can get a good answer .. [Re: redchevy] #6976746 11/29/17 09:42 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: redchevy
When we say corn has no nutritional value what do we mean? Not going to grow big horns or not good for them or its like they aren't eating anything at all? No nutritional value to me means they are just as good not eating it.

Corn has some nutritional value, but nowhere near what a whitetail needs. But it is better than nothing at all. From TPWD:

Deer hunters in the Texas Hill Country learned long ago that corn will attract deer to
hunting areas during years when the natural forage is in short supply and during the winters with
a poor acorn crop. On well managed ranges that provide good varieties of natural forage and in
years of good acorn production, corn becomes less attractive to deer and hunting gets tougher to
say the least.
Regardless of the relatively poor nutritional qualities of corn, it will continue to be used
to feed (bait) deer and other wildlife species. The user then should be aware of the term
AFLATOXIN, a fungi produced toxin. Aflatoxin is usually produced when corn or peanuts are
grown under stress such as drought conditions (high temperatures and low soil moisture).
Aflatoxin can pose a serious problem when wildlife species have access to contaminated fields
(primarily waterfowl) or through supplemental feeding programs (deer, turkey, quail, doves and
non-game birds and mammals). Deer are less susceptible to toxicosis than are birds such as
turkeys, quail, doves and non-game birds; however most of these species, if present, will frequent
any feeding site where corn is being fed to deer. Turkeys and quail are very susceptible aflatoxin
levels higher than 20 parts per billion (ppb).
During 1990, half of the corn tested by the Texas Department of Agriculture contained
aflatoxin. Eighteen percent of the samples contained 300 ppb or greater and 31 percent
contained 20 to 300 ppb.
It is suspected that large portions of this corn is “dumped” on the market as “deer corn”
and sold at reduced prices. It would be advisable for anyone using corn that is to be fed where
wildlife species have access to it, to check with the feed dealer to determine the aflatoxin
concentration. To be safe, only corn with a guaranteed analysis of 20 ppb or less of aflatoxin
should be used in feeding programs where wildlife species will have access to the feed. Mot
reputable feed dealers can provide a guaranteed aflatoxin level for their corn. Commercial lab
testing is available and usually requires a 5 to 6 pound sample of the corn in question.

Re: Management Question that I DOUBT I can get a good answer .. [Re: HogSnatch26] #6976754 11/29/17 09:46 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
red, corn is starch for the deer just like it is for people. tastes good and can give some energy, but not a lot of nutritional support.

I do not know if deer possess the enzymes to change carbohydrates to peptides like humans do. That is a step not present in all animals but allows for protein formation from carbohydrate. but even if they do, it would take a whole lot of carb to process into a little protein. They are better eating good protein sources than pure carbs like corn.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide