Forum Stats
62823 Members
46 Forums
440312 Topics
6063977 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6975039 - 11/28/17 10:38 AM When do you check your cameras?
JB1316 Offline
Outdoorsman

Whenever I get out to the lease, I always try to get there around noon and immediately check cameras to see what the current action is like. Do you guys do that as well, or do you just roll in and only go to your spots when getting into the blind/stand?

#6975045 - 11/28/17 10:44 AM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
In hill country, NTX Just roll. Camera donít mean nothing in Nov.

Nowó I check and hunt via them sept/oct and late dec and Jan I check them.

#6975100 - 11/28/17 11:25 AM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
Halfadozen Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
I won't check cameras for areas I will be hunting that evening, but will check ones on the other side of the ranch

#6975131 - 11/28/17 12:03 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
rexmitchell Online   content
Veteran Tracker

This is why I've started switching everything over to cellular cameras. No need to check anything, I've been watching them all week.

#6975155 - 11/28/17 12:22 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I don't think that's true. Your camera will tell you wether deer are coming into to that feeder for corn, or wether they are ignoring it. I checked my camera the other day, and had no deer at the feeder in a few days. So next trip I'm sitting in the brush. I usually check my camera every couple of weeks.

#6975243 - 11/28/17 01:35 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
Bobby Hill Offline
Light Foot

I typically wait to swap the cards after a hunt. Figure while i'm leaving ill grab them on the way out. I only check them max once a week, most of the time is every other week.

Edited by Bobby Hill (11/28/17 01:36 PM)

#6975248 - 11/28/17 01:39 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker

I check mine usually after I am done hunting. I need to put my Moultrie Modem and Moultrie Game Camera back up so I can check it from home, but I have to bring a ladder in and mount it at least 12í off the ground with a swivel mount so I can get good reception with it. Lately I have been hunting late mornings till the evening so I havenít had time to put it up, so hopefully I get a deer early so I can finally get it all set up during daylight. The Moultrie camera junked out on me so I had to send it out and get a replacement in the middle of Bow Season. Oh Joy lol. I have two Cuddeback cameras and they have been great so I think I am going to go with their CuddeLink cameras that let you designate one camera that can collect all the cameras photos and then you can download them from up to 1/4 mile away from the last camera in the chain. Itís free to download pics and you can pay and do their wireless plan if you want to. Then they sell a mobile unit that can be used to download them all to it for free.

#6975301 - 11/28/17 02:19 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: Tff caribou]
decoy

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I don't think that's true. Your camera will tell you wether deer are coming into to that feeder for corn, or wether they are ignoring it. I checked my camera the other day, and had no deer at the feeder in a few days. So next trip I'm sitting in the brush. I usually check my camera every couple of weeks.

The camera will only tell you:
Big bucks in velvet are patternable,.
Then in Oct once they shed velvet, they become less patternable
Then come mid nov and early dec. they rut and donít come to specific corn sites. Total random if they even come to corn. Biggest is the ď IFĒ
Then in late dec they become patternable as they seek food sources to recover.

Cameras just give you an idea of what was there once. Hunting via game cameras is bound to disappoint and even cost you.

I have a deer I watched this weekend that hasnít been on camera in four weeks, still not on camera. Watched him bedded with a doe on side of the mountain, two days in a row.

Donít hunt via game cameras during non patternable times, itís only tells you what was in a 15íx15í area once apon a time.

This deer below was never on game camera, his hot doe was in feeder pen, he came in the corner but never with in camera funnel.

#6975408 - 11/28/17 03:59 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
JB1316 Offline
Outdoorsman

Then come mid nov and early dec. they rut and donít come to specific corn sites. Total random if they even come to corn. Biggest is the ď IFĒ

Cameras just give you an idea of what was there once. Hunting via game cameras is bound to disappoint and even cost you.

I have a deer I watched this weekend that hasnít been on camera in four weeks, still not on camera. Watched him bedded with a doe on side of the mountain, two days in a row.

Donít hunt via game cameras during non patternable times, itís only tells you what was in a 15íx15í area once apon a time.

This deer below was never on game camera, his hot doe was in feeder pen, he came in the corner but never with in camera funnel.

That boy's part Elk it seems

#6975687 - 11/28/17 07:35 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
Mr. T. Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hunt in Cass County, live in T...
Once a week and more than once they have given me information on what stand to hunt.

#6975716 - 11/28/17 07:49 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
decoy

Originally Posted By: JB1316

That boy's part Elk it seems

Yelp he was a nice mature high beamed deer.

Donít over think the camera in general. End of the day it has a very minute coverage on a very seasonal unpredictable opponent.

#6975724 - 11/28/17 07:54 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
dlrz71 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Arlington, Tx/Coke Cnty
I get to hunt every other weekend so I will make it to the lease usually after work. I will hunt the following morning and after that hunt I will pull cards and run through them to see what is on them. I will typically pull cards after my last morning hunt as well before going home.

#6975741 - 11/28/17 08:03 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
I agree with what BOBO says for my place.

Cameras during late summer/early fall help me to know some of what lives on my place and help during bowseason.
Come late October, itís a big fruit basket turnover with bucks coming and going from who knows where. Iím gonna be in one certain stand for most of November anyway so while whatís on the cameras is interesting, itís not really helpful for hunting. Itís just what was at that spot at that moment in time. Just gotta be there hunting.

Othersí mileage may vary with feeders, more patternable deer, etc.

#6975809 - 11/28/17 08:49 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
sqiggy Offline

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
I only use cameras to see what may be out there. I don't set them up over a feeder, but love to set them up looking down trails, creek crossings, scrapes, etc.

#6975816 - 11/28/17 08:52 PM Re: When do you check your cameras? [Re: JB1316]
deerhunter1956 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Denton,Tx
I check mine after the last morning hunt and replace with a different set of cards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide