Forums46
Topics537,006
Posts9,719,380
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6976361 11/29/17 04:32 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I started reading and then saw the video clip and the video clip wow the video clip..what was this about again??

Just kidding. As a quail hunter I see the impact of predators. I kill every one I can. When I was a kid we trapped them for fur and made good money. There were quail everywhere back then. Now there are predators everywhere. I'd rather have quail.
I'd shoot a mountain lion on a heartbeat for a mount. To each his own I guess.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978318 12/01/17 03:06 AM
T
TBS Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Lots of varying opinions on this.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978371 12/01/17 04:10 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
When you no longer see quail and turkeys, you will have a different opinion of shooting the cute and cuddly foxes and bobcats.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978397 12/01/17 04:49 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
By far the single biggest reason for the loss of quail is due to the loss of native grasslands to brush intrusion, conversion to ag fields, development, conversion to “improved” pastures, ,decline of the CRP lands, development of wind turbines, and on and on. All grassland bird species are in serious trouble.

Estimates put the amount of native grasslands at 1% - 3%. Most of that is highly fragmented causing poor quality ecosystems.

The good thing about quail is they can rebound quickly with habitat restoration efforts.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978402 12/01/17 04:57 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I don’t kill anything I’m not hunting. However, as a guest I’ll follow a landowner’s request to eliminate whatever he wants done as long as it’s legal of course.

For whatever reason I don’t get any personal sense of accomplishment from shooting turkeys anymore. Calling them, setting up properly, helping others learn is much more fun. No interest in hunting turkeys coming to feeders either.

I will generally shoot feral pigs, stray/feral dogs and cats on sight, but again it depends on the landowners wishes.

To be determined
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: jeffbird] #6978416 12/01/17 06:35 AM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
When you no longer see quail and turkeys, you will have a different opinion of shooting the cute and cuddly foxes and bobcats.

Numerous studies show that quail make up a very small % of the diets of foxes and bobcats. Sure, they'll eat one if easy but not a mainstay. And, many studies also show that mesomammal populations will respond based on prey populations. So, shooting a few each year probably aint going to change their impact on quail in the area.

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
By far the single biggest reason for the loss of quail is due to the loss of native grasslands to brush intrusion, conversion to ag fields, development, conversion to “improved” pastures, ,decline of the CRP lands, development of wind turbines, and on and on. All grassland bird species are in serious trouble.

Estimates put the amount of native grasslands at 1% - 3%. Most of that is highly fragmented causing poor quality ecosystems.

The good thing about quail is they can rebound quickly with habitat restoration efforts.

Yep. For those who claim "back in the day we had way more quail and less predators" you also had way more untouched grasslands, more local cover crops with row edges, fewer fireants, drastically more unbroken habitat, etc. Way more to in that just the predators.

In our portion of the Hill Co we've got Quail and Turkeys, and also plenty of foxes and bobcats. The most quail I've ever seen was down south, which was also crawling with predators. I just don't buy the correlation.

Last edited by TxAg; 12/01/17 06:36 AM.
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978420 12/01/17 07:55 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When you are raising cattle and you drive in the gate and see the buzzards fly off, and find a dead calf or 2, you will be able to shoot predators. Predators eat year around, what do you think they eat when there is no young calf crop for them to kill? Do you think they have a salad instead of meat diet?

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978421 12/01/17 08:17 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I don’t need a reason.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978469 12/01/17 11:53 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Been there and done that on using animals for target practice. Coyotes and cats are my only partners in hog control and we are losing that battle. If a hunter shoots a predator on my land, without justification, he will either eat it or leave.

I have never seen cats or coyotes bother cows; maybe they do on sheep. Others may have different experiences. If that changes, I will take care of the problem.

It is illegal to kill raptors but if a chicken hawk was getting my chickens, I would take care of the problem and keep my mouth shut. BTW, I hate chickens and don't have any.

I have no problem with others killing predators. It's your land and you can do as you please.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978478 12/01/17 12:05 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
https://imgur.com/OjaP9mh
I have a lot of bobcats on the properties I manage, but the standing rule I have is "leave them alone". I watched a half grown one for about half an hour a couple evenings ago, and they hurt nothing that I can see on our properties. Just shooting living things for the sake of entertainment is not my idea of hunting.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978482 12/01/17 12:10 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm with sneaky I don't need to make reasons. I like deer and don't like yotes. If you think coyotes and cats don't have a big impact on your fawn crop talk to your local biologist, willing to bet he will strongly disagree with you.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978497 12/01/17 12:28 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Coyotes and pigs are shot whenever the opportunity presents itself. Bobcats, armadillos, foxes get a pass. Skunks have to go if they frequent the house area- too many dogs to wash.

[Linked Image]
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978688 12/01/17 03:01 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
My home property is 20acers. There are lots of coons and foxes. One day I dropped 20quail on the property and fed in two areas. I have two grassy areas oh 5acers each and lots of cedar cover. The neighbor is an unfenced field with a tank maybe 100 acres.

The quail were penraised so dumb ones. ...they may have lasted 2 weeks... there were kill spots all around the feed areas. I know wild ones are smarter and maybe would’ve lasted longer but it just goes to show how bad coons and foxes can be. Those quail never had a chance. I attemped to wipe them out and trapped around 20 off my place. I went and bought 20quail again. They lasted ohh 3months. When they disappeared I set my dog proof coon traps and caught 3more that night. I quit buying quail after that. I can’t control the area myself... coons are nasty predators. Worse then most people realize.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6978698 12/01/17 03:05 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Do you know its coons catching the quail? I doubt it. I also think your bigger problem is turning loose pen raised birds and expecting them to live, just not going to happen.

Our property has more coons, bobcats, coyotes, hawks, owls..... AND QUAIL than you can shake a stick at. The one thing we do not have is fire ants!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6979001 12/01/17 07:16 PM
T
TBS Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
My dad and I used to have cattle in east Texas. Never had any issues except with newborn calves. Once in a blue moon the coyotes would get a newborn calf. The hogs destroy the land. Again, hogs and coyotes get shot on site unless it will interfere with my hunt. The rest get a pass. I know they do affect the fawn and bird population, but I look at it as the natural food chain. If I was having major issues then I would probably be a little more trigger happy. I was told this weekend that roadrunners have a huge affect on quail populations, evidently they love the quail eggs.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6979839 12/02/17 04:28 PM
D
DQKN Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I had a rancher tell me to shoot all porqupines and road runners. The porqupines because the cows and the road runners because they would eat the baby quail. I let most foxes go and if i ever saw a bobcat or lion i would shoot to mount. all pigs need to die.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6979907 12/02/17 05:49 PM
daniel1381 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
i never pass on cats,yotes,hogs and foxes. landowner wants em dead.

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: DQKN] #6979926 12/02/17 06:06 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: DQKN
I had a rancher tell me to shoot all porqupines and road runners. The porqupines because the cows and the road runners because they would eat the baby quail. I let most foxes go and if i ever saw a bobcat or lion i would shoot to mount. all pigs need to die.

Shooting roadrunners is a good way to lose a hunting license for awhile, and not going to make a single bit of differnce. Their main food of choice is reptiles including small snakes, and large insects such as grasshoppers and beetles.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6979952 12/02/17 06:29 PM
B
bowbuilder1971 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I would shoot yotes, pigs and mountain lions on site since I hunt on my buddies private land where he and his family lives. We don’t have a lot of yotes on the property but we gotta kill one of them that is getting all his chickens and ducks. His den is on another property and he just passes through the area. We had a huge pig problem for awhile until the neighbor started using his dogs to hunt them and we stopped filling the feeders after deer season was over. They seemed to move on which is a good thing because they were big and chasing all the deer off. Seen a small mountain lion 2 years ago at night while we were hog hunting but it was young so I let it walk. Haven’t seen him since and the dogs probably scared him off. Up north where I am originally from, we have those red wolf/coyote hybrids that get up to 75#’s and will attack you if they are running in a pack. They protected them for so long and now they are out of control and being seen in parks watching children, ripping dogs apart in front of their owners, chasing joggers down and even attacking hunters. They have been snatching up pets all over the state and it’s the state’s fault for not letting people hunt them for so long. Now they are a huge problem and even caught on video in the middle of Boston. I went back to the state twice in my life to be close to my dad, but I will never ever go back since the place is so arse backwards now and the hunting is a joke now. I served my country honorably and still got denied for a CHL. I would rather live like a free man in real America. I love Texas and this is where I will be buried!

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: bowbuilder1971] #6979981 12/02/17 07:03 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Shoot, shovel, shut up, those Wolf hybrids.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: jeffbird] #6980131 12/02/17 09:32 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

Shooting roadrunners is a good way to lose a hunting license for awhile, and not going to make a single bit of differnce. Their main food of choice is reptiles including small snakes, and large insects such as grasshoppers and beetles.
don't forget the roadrunners are hell on deer

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6980259 12/02/17 11:51 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Interesting topic for sure. I have followed it since it started.

I didn't respond because it has been years since I killed a coyote and I had never seen a bobcat in the wild so I never had to make that decision...until today!

I grew up in the country and was involved in ranching/cattle raising. I spent many hours on tractors plowing/mowing pastures and bottomlands but had never seen a bobcat in the wild-until today!

I decided to try and call in some varmints this afternoon so I got in the elevated box stand that has six different shooting lanes. I called for about 15 minutes and had seen no movement. I turned to check the three lanes to my back and there he was. Sitting like a stone statue in the shade at the edge of the lane just watching the direction I was calling from. One of the coolest sights I have seen in a long time.

He sat there for about 15 minutes and never moved. I kept calling and he finally started creeping slowly forward. After another 5 minutes he had come about 20 feet closer. Then something gave him confidence so he started slowing walking straight toward my blind. Suddenly his attention was diverted by something behind a brush pile to his right. He turned and jumped quickly out of sight behind the brush.

I was able to video his approach and would post it but I don't know how to upload pictures or video from my phone.

Anyway, after another 10 minutes or so he came out from behind the brush and stopped briefly less than 20 yards away. He took one last look in my direction and slowly walked into the woods and out of sight.

OK. Back to the original question...I would NOT shoot a bobcat just because. This one was certainly close enough but he was just too cool a sight to ruin by killing him for no really valid reason.

I am not sure about coyotes ( I shot at one while mowing in early September and then let the same coyote hang around while I mowed 3 weeks later!) but can say with certainty that I will try my best to kill every hog I can. They are rooting holes in our hay meadow big enough for a koi pond.

Thanks for letting me share one of the coolest outdoor adventures I have had in my 62 years.

I would also most like pass on a mountain lion especially if I could get video of him. I would probably pass on the fox as well.

I don't have a problem with anyone shooting any of the above for valid reasons like depredation. And, in certain situations I would probably shoot them as well.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: colt45-90] #6980711 12/03/17 01:31 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: colt45

roflmao

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6980862 12/03/17 03:57 PM
C
Caliche Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
It pretty much depends on what species you value. Over the last 20 years we have gone from almost no turkey or quail to an abundance that spills over to adjacent ranches for miles from our fence line. These species are very vulnerable to egg eaters. We do go out of our way to eliminate yotes, hogs, bobcat, red fox. We are more opportunists and take out all skunk, possum, racoon, feral cats, lion. I have mixed feelings on gray fox. There have been times when armadillos got completely out of hand and needed a little intervention. I know that bull snakes and king snakes are egg eaters but we leave them alone and they control the rattlers. Skunks and racoons are very cyclical and can get out of hand in a hurry.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: colt45-90] #6981282 12/03/17 11:08 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: colt45

And Coyotes...

LETS GO BRANDON
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide