Forums46
Topics537,810
Posts9,729,379
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6974911 11/28/17 02:58 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I don't shoot foxes. If a coyote or bobcat ruins my hunt by running deer off I will probably shoot them, but rarely do the deer leave because of one, they just look and snort/get nervous till it leaves, which usually isn't long. We do actively attempt to trap coyotes bobcats coons and hogs, has been a learning curve but we are making head way and its not messing up our hunting.

We have an incredibly high number of coyotes and bobcats and our deer population is not in any form of danger and we have more quail than you can shake a stick at. I think the predators decimating the game populations is overstated by a large degree.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6974942 11/28/17 03:24 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If you are nervous about shooting while deer hunting, shooting a hog or yote usually won't run the deer off. Several times I have shot a yote or hog and within 10 minutes had deer in the same food plot and many times the have walked within 5-10 yards of the dead hog or yote. I've even shot a hog under a feeder and the deer in the food plot didn't even run off.

Surprisingly, it just doesn't spook them much, but I only shoot suppressed.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6974955 11/28/17 03:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Deer in general are one thing.

Mature east TX bucks on my place are another. After hunting them all my life, I’m pretty convinced that a big east TX buck will simply not show himself if he thinks a hunter is in the area. Even while locked down with a doe the truly mature bucks are cautious as all get out. Driving a vehicle, shooting, talking loud between hunts, blaring a TV/radio at the camp, etc. all make a difference IMO for the deer I am after at my place. It is remote and there is little to no activity there during the year.

The majority of the truly big bucks seen on my place are seen by me while I am by myself. Usually during midweek. I rarely shoot. I walk everywhere. And I don’t talk to myself (much). smile

Others’ mileage almost certainly varies.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: redchevy] #6974974 11/28/17 04:02 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I think the predators decimating the game populations is overstated by a large degree.

Concur. The single best place I have ever hunted for deer, a ranch in South Texas, does not allow the shooting of any predators. They shoot all pigs on sight, but everything else is left alone. He had more deer and bigger deer than any place I have ever seen by a huge margin.

Seeing photo after photo here and elsewhere of young deer being shot reveals one of the major problems, second only to loss of habitat and the availability of good quality water.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6974985 11/28/17 04:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree the effects are almost certainly way overstated. My place is pretty much covered up with coyotes and I haven’t noticed any population effects I can attribute to them. Vehicles probably do more damage based on the number of carcasses I see on the side of the roads.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: copperhead] #6975004 11/28/17 04:16 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: copperhead
Coons rarely get a pass either. I wish there was a market for furs again.

^^THIS^^

When I first bought my place I was feeding more corn to raccoons than deer. Nothing worse than trail cam photos of big fat raccoon hanging upside down (before I added cages) with his paws on the spinner feeding all of his buddies on the ground. I started using the cuff traps and regularly get 1 or 2 a night when actively trapping. Over time I've made a dent and wish there was a market for the MANY hides I could've sold. I am starting to see an uptick in activity so will get busy on them again over the winter.

Funny thing, I had mentioned in another thread about my passionate hatred for skunks. This past week my wife commented that it was strange she hadn't seen or smelled a skunk in sometime. I smirked and told her that my eradication efforts are paying dividends. This all ramped up when one chased me through my barn. I HATE THEM!

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975013 11/28/17 04:19 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
One interesting bit of trivia Dalroo. Skunks are one of the favorite prey of Great-horned Owls. Pretty darned tough bird to eat a skunk.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: jeffbird] #6975030 11/28/17 04:28 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
One interesting bit of trivia Dalroo. Skunks are one of the favorite prey of Great-horned Owls. Pretty darned tough bird to eat a skunk.

I knew there must be a reason I like owls so much!

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975072 11/28/17 05:00 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N

Meet my new friend BOB we just met last night. He was a Chicken Killer
No passes here.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975093 11/28/17 05:18 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
I used to think the coons were kind of funny until one ripped the door to one of my feeder controls open and left the control and battery hanging. I have them on camera doing it. Coons will be shot on site as well as hogs and coyotes.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975165 11/28/17 06:28 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I let predators get a pass. Hogs always get shot, I like the meat. I'd potentially shoot a big old bobcat or mountain lion, but only if I was in financial shape to get a full body mount made. Otherwise, no interest in killing one just to kill it.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975310 11/28/17 08:28 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
I will shoot hogs, coyotes, coons and anything that may do harm to the land owners animals or property. Having grown up in the country, you know the harm a coon will do to your chicken coop or your attic. Found the remain of a buck that a wild pack of dogs pinned against a fence in deep snow. Not much different in my opinion than if a rat ran across your kitchen floor. You pick up the first thing you can get your hands on and kill the varmint.

Last edited by Greg Z; 11/28/17 08:41 PM.

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TFF Caribou] #6975332 11/28/17 08:57 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I let predators get a pass. Hogs always get shot, I like the meat. I'd potentially shoot a big old bobcat or mountain lion, but only if I was in financial shape to get a full body mount made. Otherwise, no interest in killing one just to kill it.

The rancher that leases our pasture from us would like to know what about the value of the livestock that a couple of mountain lions could cost him in a year? He pays us good money for the grass rights, keeps the fences repaired etc., and does a good job of managing the land's resources. As landowners we would expect the same from a hunter that leases from us.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: dogcatcher] #6975354 11/28/17 09:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

The rancher that leases our pasture from us would like to know what about the value of the livestock that a couple of mountain lions could cost him in a year? He pays us good money for the grass rights, keeps the fences repaired etc., and does a good job of managing the land's resources. As landowners we would expect the same from a hunter that leases from us.

Shoot predators if you like and I’m not a tree hugger by any means, but I personally don’t have the view that every animal that poses a threat to livestock must be eradicated from the face of the earth.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6975358 11/28/17 09:14 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Shoot predators if you like and I’m not a tree hugger by any means, but I personally don’t have the view that every animal that poses a threat to livestock must be eradicated from the face of the earth.
agree, there is a balance in nature

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975370 11/28/17 09:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I kinda feel the same way about everyone who puts corn feeders out and then declares personal war on every coon that shows up - as if the coons are doing something terrible to them by coming to an easy food source.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975404 11/28/17 09:56 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
To each their own.

I have a great respect for predators being one myself. They have it much tougher than browsers and grazers to survive.

I just don't get any satisfaction killing bobcats and foxes.

I will shoot a few coyotes but have let many pass just because........

Hogs always get rifle

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 11/28/17 10:36 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975453 11/28/17 10:34 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I kill pigs every opportunity I get. Coyotes usually get a green light as well. However, the older I get the less interest I have in killing most of the other critters.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975460 11/28/17 10:36 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Predators get a walk at my place unless I see them going after a fawn or such. Should I see one going after a pig, I will just watch and enjoy the show.

On client properties, I shoot most of what they tell me to shoot, but every property owner has different rules, only hogs on this place, hogs and coyotes on another, hogs and many predators plus armadillos on another but no fox or mountain lion, etc. They all have their own specific wishes. One seemed distressed I was killing foxes on another property when he didn't want foxes killed on his.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975655 11/29/17 01:12 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hogs
Coyotes
Armadillos
Coons
Crows

Get no free pass on my place.

Foxes, and Bobcats I figure aren't doing anything but competing with the Redtails for rodents.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975682 11/29/17 01:31 AM
B
bass101 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
coyote and hogs always, a bobcat sometimes get a pass

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6975692 11/29/17 01:38 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have a standing rule at my place. If you want a bobcat or a fox you better have $300 in your wallet, cash. I'll get the animal to your taxidermist, with your money to go towards the mount, every cent of it. Too many bobcats and foxes get killed before the shooter realizes what a mount costs and end up dry rotting in a freezer. Most other animals? You've just got to answer to yourself and the game warden.

Edited to add: I love watching "my" bobcats and foxes and don't want them freezer burned or being turned into a "lion of Gripsholm" mount.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 11/29/17 01:47 AM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6976195 11/29/17 02:50 PM
T
TxAg Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Hogs get shot on sight with great prejudice, every time.

Coons get trapped at protein feeders, and may get shot on summer boondoggles.

Foxes and Bobcats get a pass. May eventually take one to mount, but that's it.

Yotes get popped if it's fawning or calving season. Otherwise, I'll probably let them walk.

Never seen a lion while hunting, but again, if it wasn't calving season I'd probably let it walk. Don't care to kill on.

Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6976262 11/29/17 03:36 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: TBS
This came up this weekend. I personally have no desire to kill a bobcat, mountain lion, armadillo, etc... when I am hunting just for the sake of shooting something. I have known some hunters that will shoot at animals like that if they come out while they are deer hunting. I guess I never got it. There was another family at the lease this weekend and the boy (in his late 20's) started talking about trying to shoot a bobcat that came out at his stand but he could never get a clear shot. The dad asked him why did he want to shoot it. His answer was just because. Not a good answer and a hunting ethics conversation proceeded between the two. The dad said he had watch 2 bobcats play in a clearing that morning while there were deer under the feeder. Where I will perform what I call an "extermination hunt" is for coyotes and hogs. The coyotes have killed our calves and the hogs...well that's obvious. What's your thoughts.....

There are plenty of videos on you-tube that show bobcats taking deer. Same with coyotes. They are predators that prey on deer and turkeys. I personally will shoot every bobcat, coyote, or hog I get a chance to shoot.

The Federal Government cannot give anything to anyone, that it has not first taken from someone else.
Re: Killing Coyotes, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, etc.... [Re: TBS] #6976337 11/29/17 04:18 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I don't hesitate shooting yotes or bobcats just because they prey on the fawns,turkeys and quail. All hogs get blasted as well.
Coons eat a lot of corn/protein and tear up feeder motors when they get the chance so I trap a lot of them. No foxes on my place and have never seen a mountain lion but I sure would like to get one. I'm on a wildlife management plan for tax reasons with the primary management of deer, turkey, and quail. I have to provide documentation of what I have done as far as improvements to my property for these target animals and how much predator control I have done on a yearly basis. The guest I allow hunt on my property are instructed to help with predator/hog control while they are hunting or they may not be invited back.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide