Print Thread
Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot #6973740 11/27/17 03:19 PM
R
rackjudge Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Will not pick up next round on mag. Tried different ammo, cleaned, different mags and no help. Gas block does not appear to be adjustable. Is there a AR pistol guru on THF that I can send this bad boy to?

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6973752 11/27/17 03:25 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Undergassed, is my bet.

In my limited AR experience, I've decided I will not own an AR without an adjustable gas block.

I installed a Syrac adjustable gas block on my LR-308 that was ejecting at 1 o'clock (over-gassed). Easy to instal and it solved the problem.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6973932 11/27/17 06:18 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Either your gas block has shifted, or your gas port/tube is clogged.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6974011 11/27/17 07:13 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Yup...I can imagine a really, REALLY gunked up bolt doing that too. Maybe.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: J.G.] #6974225 11/27/17 09:45 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Undergassed, is my bet.

In my limited AR experience, I've decided I will not own an AR without an adjustable gas block.

I installed a Syrac adjustable gas block on my LR-308 that was ejecting at 1 o'clock (over-gassed). Easy to instal and it solved the problem.

Correct that it sounds like the gun is undergassed. However, an adjustable gas block will not help at all if indeed the gun is undergassed. Adjustable gas blocks simply allow the user to restrict gas flow (like you experienced with your LR-308), but they don't give you any extra gas flow over a standard gas block. The size of the gas port in the barrel determines that.

OP - It is likely that your gas block has shifted, or you have gas leaking from the gas tube (usually occurs where tube fits into block). Take the gas tube and block off the gun and look at the ring of carbon buildup around the gas port on the barrel. Gas port should be perfectly centered in the carbon ring, i.e. there should be an even amount of buildup all around the port. If it's not, that will tell you that your gas block shifted. Simply reinstall the block in the proper location and you should be good. If the gas port is centered in the carbon when you look, blow compressed air through the gas tube. You should be able to feel if air is escaping anywhere. That will tell you if you need to replace your gas tube.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6974229 11/27/17 09:50 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

People like to talk about gas tubes clogging, but it doesn't really happen. Anything is possible, but with the amount of pressure flowing through that tube when you shoot, it's highly improbable that a clog would ever be able to form.

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4] #6974234 11/27/17 09:53 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

People like to talk about gas tubes clogging, but it doesn't really happen. Anything is possible, but with the amount of pressure flowing through that tube when you shoot, it's highly improbable that a clog would ever be able to form.

My cardiologist disagrees when I provide this very same explanation to him....

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4] #6974264 11/27/17 10:27 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Didn't say it was likely.

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4] #6974273 11/27/17 10:39 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Undergassed, is my bet.

Correct that it sounds like the gun is undergassed. However, an adjustable gas block will not help at all if indeed the gun is undergassed. Adjustable gas blocks simply allow the user to restrict gas flow (like you experienced with your LR-308), but they don't give you any extra gas flow over a standard gas block. The size of the gas port in the barrel determines that.

It is likely that your gas block has shifted, or you have gas leaking from the gas tube (usually occurs where tube fits into block). Take the gas tube and block off the gun and look at the ring of carbon buildup around the gas port on the barrel. Gas port should be perfectly centered in the carbon ring, i.e. there should be an even amount of buildup all around the port. If it's not, that will tell you that your gas block shifted. Simply reinstall the block in the proper location and you should be good. If the gas port is centered in the carbon when you look, blow compressed air through the gas tube. You should be able to feel if air is escaping anywhere. That will tell you if you need to replace your gas tube.

But of course!

Learn something new every day.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6974595 11/28/17 03:08 AM
S
songdogslayer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Aluminum gas blocks will erode and cause gas to leak out from the sides.

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6974694 11/28/17 05:32 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Blockage or leak causing a gas shortage like described above and good way to check for it above.

That or you let FiremanJG handle your AR as there is a History peep bolt

cheers

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6976001 11/29/17 12:12 PM
R
rackjudge Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Very helpful. Thanks guys

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge] #6977033 11/30/17 01:46 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Check the gas rings on the bolt. If the slits have somehow managed to align themselves it will cause undergassing.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: Slow Drifter] #6977075 11/30/17 02:21 AM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Check the gas rings on the bolt. If the slits have somehow managed to align themselves it will cause undergassing.

This is a myth. No need to worry about alignment of gas rings on an AR-15.

Now, if they are worn out they should be replaced, but alignment of gas rings causing gas issues is a myth that has been proven false time and time again.

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4] #6977079 11/30/17 02:25 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Now, if they are worn out they should be replaced, but alignment of gas rings causing gas issues is a myth that has been proven false time and time again.

I'm just going to stick with what the Marine Corps taught me. Honestly, I really don't see how it could cause the issue since they're outside the gas tube port on the bolt.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4] #6977088 11/30/17 02:39 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Yup

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide