6057060 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6973740 - 11/27/17 09:19 AM Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot
rackjudge Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bells,TX (east of Sherman)
Will not pick up next round on mag. Tried different ammo, cleaned, different mags and no help. Gas block does not appear to be adjustable. Is there a AR pistol guru on THF that I can send this bad boy to?

#6973752 - 11/27/17 09:25 AM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Undergassed, is my bet.

In my limited AR experience, I've decided I will not own an AR without an adjustable gas block.

I installed a Syrac adjustable gas block on my LR-308 that was ejecting at 1 o'clock (over-gassed). Easy to instal and it solved the problem.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6973932 - 11/27/17 12:18 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Snyder
Either your gas block has shifted, or your gas port/tube is clogged.

Powder coated cast bullets available. https://www.facebook.com/lazyhbullets/

#6974011 - 11/27/17 01:13 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Yup...I can imagine a really, REALLY gunked up bolt doing that too. Maybe.

Originally Posted By: Ronald Reagan
It's not that liberals are not smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so.

#6974225 - 11/27/17 03:45 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: FiremanJG]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Undergassed, is my bet.

In my limited AR experience, I've decided I will not own an AR without an adjustable gas block.

I installed a Syrac adjustable gas block on my LR-308 that was ejecting at 1 o'clock (over-gassed). Easy to instal and it solved the problem.

Correct that it sounds like the gun is undergassed. However, an adjustable gas block will not help at all if indeed the gun is undergassed. Adjustable gas blocks simply allow the user to restrict gas flow (like you experienced with your LR-308), but they don't give you any extra gas flow over a standard gas block. The size of the gas port in the barrel determines that.

OP - It is likely that your gas block has shifted, or you have gas leaking from the gas tube (usually occurs where tube fits into block). Take the gas tube and block off the gun and look at the ring of carbon buildup around the gas port on the barrel. Gas port should be perfectly centered in the carbon ring, i.e. there should be an even amount of buildup all around the port. If it's not, that will tell you that your gas block shifted. Simply reinstall the block in the proper location and you should be good. If the gas port is centered in the carbon when you look, blow compressed air through the gas tube. You should be able to feel if air is escaping anywhere. That will tell you if you need to replace your gas tube.

#6974229 - 11/27/17 03:50 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: Tactical Cowboy]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

People like to talk about gas tubes clogging, but it doesn't really happen. Anything is possible, but with the amount of pressure flowing through that tube when you shoot, it's highly improbable that a clog would ever be able to form.

#6974234 - 11/27/17 03:53 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

People like to talk about gas tubes clogging, but it doesn't really happen. Anything is possible, but with the amount of pressure flowing through that tube when you shoot, it's highly improbable that a clog would ever be able to form.

My cardiologist disagrees when I provide this very same explanation to him....

#6974264 - 11/27/17 04:27 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Snyder

Didn't say it was likely.

Powder coated cast bullets available. https://www.facebook.com/lazyhbullets/

#6974273 - 11/27/17 04:39 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Undergassed, is my bet.

Correct that it sounds like the gun is undergassed. However, an adjustable gas block will not help at all if indeed the gun is undergassed. Adjustable gas blocks simply allow the user to restrict gas flow (like you experienced with your LR-308), but they don't give you any extra gas flow over a standard gas block. The size of the gas port in the barrel determines that.

It is likely that your gas block has shifted, or you have gas leaking from the gas tube (usually occurs where tube fits into block). Take the gas tube and block off the gun and look at the ring of carbon buildup around the gas port on the barrel. Gas port should be perfectly centered in the carbon ring, i.e. there should be an even amount of buildup all around the port. If it's not, that will tell you that your gas block shifted. Simply reinstall the block in the proper location and you should be good. If the gas port is centered in the carbon when you look, blow compressed air through the gas tube. You should be able to feel if air is escaping anywhere. That will tell you if you need to replace your gas tube.

But of course!

Learn something new every day.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6974595 - 11/27/17 09:08 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
songdogslayer Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Eastland County
Aluminum gas blocks will erode and cause gas to leak out from the sides.

#6974694 - 11/27/17 11:32 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Blockage or leak causing a gas shortage like described above and good way to check for it above.

That or you let FiremanJG handle your AR as there is a History peep bolt

cheers

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#6976001 - 11/29/17 06:12 AM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
rackjudge Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bells,TX (east of Sherman)
Very helpful. Thanks guys

#6977033 - 11/29/17 07:46 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: rackjudge]
Slow Drifter Online   content

Loc: Central Texas
Check the gas rings on the bolt. If the slits have somehow managed to align themselves it will cause undergassing.

A. Einstein

#6977075 - 11/29/17 08:21 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: Slow Drifter]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Check the gas rings on the bolt. If the slits have somehow managed to align themselves it will cause undergassing.

This is a myth. No need to worry about alignment of gas rings on an AR-15.

Now, if they are worn out they should be replaced, but alignment of gas rings causing gas issues is a myth that has been proven false time and time again.

#6977079 - 11/29/17 08:25 PM Re: Help! My AR pistol has turned into a single shot [Re: TTUhunter4]
Slow Drifter Online   content

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

This is a myth. No need to worry about alignment of gas rings on an AR-15.

Now, if they are worn out they should be replaced, but alignment of gas rings causing gas issues is a myth that has been proven false time and time again.

I'm just going to stick with what the Marine Corps taught me. Honestly, I really don't see how it could cause the issue since they're outside the gas tube port on the bolt.

A. Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide