Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969219 11/22/17 01:40 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
What "needs to be done around here" is some people need to grow thicker skin. OP made a series of mistakes, coupled with a lack of effort, & pussyfooting around it ain't helping him. I'm not being rude, I'm being frank. If you would like to see me being rude, let me know & I'll start.

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969221 11/22/17 01:40 PM
B
BufordT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Geez, guess i'll go back to TBH. This is supposed to be fun

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969226 11/22/17 01:43 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
You guys that judge..wasn't my intention to start a debate..I've been hunting for 60years..and the decision I made was the right one..at the end if the day..the buck was recovered..so I will remove myself from this post..y'all have a blessed day..and happy Thanks giving..y'all be safe..I can't stress this enough..judge yet he be judged..GOD BLESS!!!

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969227 11/22/17 01:44 PM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
You guys that judge..wasn't my intention to start a debate..I've been hunting for 60years..and the decision I made was the right one..at the end if the day..the buck was recovered..so I will remove myself from this post..y'all have a blessed day..and happy Thanks giving..y'all be safe..I can't stress this enough..judge yet he be judged..GOD BLESS!!!

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969245 11/22/17 01:55 PM
N
Nate C. Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
The whole situation might have been avoided altogether. This scenario reinforces that no matter how confident you are of your shot--even if you are 100% certain the deer is dead on the ground--always wait a minimum of 30 minutes before approaching a deer shot with a rifle. Double that waiting time for a deer shot with arrow.

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969256 11/22/17 02:01 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: mow
300 yards..it was nite time..no blood..only under feeder..

A fact not known until the next morning since you say yourself you immediately backed out and no attempt was made by all involved to retrieve it. If I'm wrong please correct me! I'm searching for a reason to support the decisions made and I've yet to hear one.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969258 11/22/17 02:05 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
People piling on is common around here.
Kind of like a wounded deer running off in coyote infested pastures. popcorn

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: BOONER] #6969271 11/22/17 02:15 PM
P
P1DTAY Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Sec. 62.011. RETRIEVAL AND WASTE OF GAME. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (c), it is an offense if a person while hunting kills or wounds a game bird or game animal and intentionally or knowingly fails to make a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal or bird and include it in the person's daily or seasonal bag limit.

Did you not see the tag in the picture? It is included in his bag limit!

Reasonable effort was not made to keep the animal in edible condition.

Edible for who.....13 hours at 50* is still ok to safely eat. May not taste great but it would be fine to eat!

Booner I really hope you are joking

texas
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6969290 11/22/17 02:33 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: Stub

Dayum lighten up Butt Head hammer Yes he made two mistakes, one not having a full clip of bullets and two waiting until the next morning after putting two good placement shots in the deers shoulder.
If you would have read his post in its entirety you would have read he used a 308.

With your wonderful disposition, I would not hunt on the same dirt with you even if it was free!

up

Something needs to be done on this forum with the rude azz people. This is supposed to be a friendly place and for the most part it's not.

CC You are right! I should not have used such Vulgarity and demeaning language towards Maximus grin
Maximus I am truly sorry I called you a Butthead, I am sure it caused you much distress and mental anguish to the point where you might need counseling laugh

All kidding aside two wrongs do not make it right, I am sure Maximus has been called a lot worse by his friends to his face and had a good laugh about it up

Last edited by Stub; 11/22/17 02:41 PM.

texas flag

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969295 11/22/17 02:35 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Deer hit with two well placed shots from a 308 do not lay there and then get up and run away 300 yards. I think its safe to assume shot placement was less than desirable or bullet failed.

I would go check the zero on the rifle.

It could have gone either way, you could have pushed him had you pursued him or you might have come up on him fresh dead. Like others have said in many areas in Texas with our temps and predators/scavengers a deer that sits over night has little chance of a recovery of anything but the horns in usable condition so I will not let one sit over night. Give it a few hours and try looking, if you cant find it then there probably is little chance waiting longer would have done anything. As much as pushing them makes them run, it also keeps wounds open and bleeding.

I can say I have gone to the blind with only 2 bullets before as well and it has come back to bite me too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: Stub] #6969297 11/22/17 02:39 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Dayum lighten up Butt Head hammer Yes he made two mistakes, one not having a full clip of bullets and two waiting until the next morning after putting two good placement shots in the deers shoulder.
If you would have read his post in its entirety you would have read he used a 308.

With your wonderful disposition, I would not hunt on the same dirt with you even if it was free!

up

Something needs to be done on this forum with the rude azz people. This is supposed to be a friendly place and for the most part it's not.

CC You are right! I should not have used such Vulgarity and demeaning language towards Maximus grin
Maximus I am truly sorry I called you a Butthead, I am sure it caused you much distress and mental anguish to the point where you might need counseling laugh

All kidding aside two wrongs do not make it right, I am sure Maximus has been called a lot worse by his friends to his face and had a good laugh about it up

Usually, only my good friends call me derogatory names.

Funny how the winds have shifted in this thread.

But now that OP has evoked God & the Bible, everything is all better.

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: maximus_flavius] #6969313 11/22/17 02:45 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You are truly the all knowing my 40 years of hunting knowledge pales miserably to yours hope to never be on lease with you and your hunting gurus !!!

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969317 11/22/17 02:48 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Sorry, but have to weigh in on this one. Sounds like OP learned a few lessons on this.

1. Patience - give the shot deer plenty of time to bleed out.
2. Always have plenty of ammo in gun if going to retrieve.
3. Give deer time to lay down and die, but definitely track within a few hours of shooting.
4. Don't air dirty laundry on a forum without expecting a heavy ration of ....let's call it critique.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: Stub] #6969320 11/22/17 02:51 PM
A
alsaenz Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Sorry, but that was a terrible decision to not go look for him an hour or 2 afterwards. You don't push a deer that is questionably hit & runs off. A deer that you have put a couple of good shots into & you know is hit good, you always go look for it after a few hours. Then if you don't find it, you call in trackers. Too bad your lazy-[censored] hunting buddies wouldn't help you go look for him, but the responsibility is all on you.

What you don't do is exactly what you did.

1). After the shot, let him lay there 30/45 minutes or longer, with your rifle ready to shoot again
2). Load more than 2 rounds in your dang rifle
3). Go look for the damned deer
4). Have the phone number to reputable trackers handy, & use it in these circumstances

I would like to know what caliber/load/bullet your using. If it's .223 or other marginal set up, that makes you even more wrong, IMO.

Hunters who did what you did, don't deserve to shoot another deer
You just wasted a good deer. Be glad your not on my lease, or you'd be hunting a new place immediately.

This ^

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969326 11/22/17 02:55 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The main thing to take from all this is to never
post about a failure of any kind on social media.
Especially if it involves the Holy Magnificence of a Whitetail Buck.
It will not be tolerated.

violin

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969334 11/22/17 03:04 PM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Thanks for telling your story sorry bout your bad luck I'm sure most people have similar experience if they hunt long enough. Bow hunters seldom get to fire second shot. Lots deer are lost don't sweat it I would rather hunt with you than those know it all's that weren't around .

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: maximus_flavius] #6969335 11/22/17 03:05 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
What "needs to be done around here" is some people need to grow thicker skin. OP made a series of mistakes, coupled with a lack of effort, & pussyfooting around it ain't helping him. I'm not being rude, I'm being frank. If you would like to see me being rude, let me know & I'll start.

There's a lot of ways to say things and get the point across without being a jerk....some people choose to be jerks simply because they find joy in being jerks.

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: PKnTX] #6969340 11/22/17 03:08 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: PKnTX
The main thing to take from all this is to never
post about a failure of any kind on social media.
Especially if it involves the Holy Magnificence of a Whitetail Buck.
It will not be tolerated.

violin

More straw man arguments.

What I won't tolerate is a complete lack of effort to recover a trophy buck. Mistakes happen, sure. But to shoot a buck & hit him good twice, then leave for camp 10 minutes later & not come back for +\- 13 hours, I have a problem with that. Most ethical hunters would, & I wonder if a GW would also.

Re: Buck down!..and eaten alive [Re: mow] #6969343 11/22/17 03:10 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Know-it-all must = ethical hunter who reasonably attempts to recover trophy white tails.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide