Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! #6966573 11/20/17 03:51 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Newbie duck hunter but avid bow hunter and bass fishermen and wing shooter... I wanted to share my experiences so far this year on a public lake I have been hunting. The guy that I have been going with (seasoned duck hunter) said both these instances are just to be expected.

Situation number 1. Happened this last Saturday.
We were in a buddies of mine honey hole and had a really good shoot. Should had certainly had 3 limits but we forgot how to shoot on a couple of volleys. That morning we had seen a duck boat running up into another area while we are setting up. We heard him shoot maybe half a dozen times all morning and we shot way more... prob somewhere around 50 shells. Well we are picking up and here comes this boat. They were prob hunting 1000 yards away from us or more and they come directly our direction (opposite direction from the boat ramp and where they were hunting) cruise until they see where we are hunting. Set the boat down 80 yards away (assuming so they can mark it on GPS) then leave opposite direction and head back to the ramp. I couldn't believe that they drove all that way just to see where our spot was. This boat couldnt have made it any more obvious that they were trying to find our spot.

Situation number 2. Happened yesterday. Same spot. Same kind of deal.
It being Sunday the public land was obviously pretty crowded. We went just about as far away from everyone we could get. Another group was prob set up 400 yards away and did very little shooting. This being a really good spot we were shooting a considerable amount more then anyone else. Well we are sitting in the blind and the guy that was hunting just towards the truck from us literally walks up on us with 3 other people. No Decoys. He acts like he had no idea that we were over there and simply turns around and goes back to his spot and im assuming his spread he had set out. Completely calm morning and he knew exactly we were hunting that direction. Im guessing he wanted to know where we were since his spot didnt pan out.

So my question is this just a standard practice to start accepting? My buddy who is a long time duck hunter just kind of said thats the way a lot of duck hunters are and you have to deal with it. I was very surprised. That being said really enjoying this duck hunting thing so far!

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966575 11/20/17 03:54 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
The norm. Recommendation. Practice shooting. Not trying to be smart. But less booms equals less attention.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966589 11/20/17 04:03 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thats crazy its just kind of an accepted "norm." We didnt miss but a bird yesterday so Im not sure shooting is our issue. I just dont think I could ever do that to somebody.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966602 11/20/17 04:16 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Public hunting gets way worse than that. I'm not condoning those actions, but I've learned to live with them. There are plenty of worse actions by fellow hunters that I will never get used to.

Sounds like your buddy is putting you on birds and y'all are getting to the spots early enough. Those are the biggest things.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966618 11/20/17 04:26 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Yea we are having a blast and I am learning a lot. Its just something I am not use to! The mrs could be more thrilled about me picking up another hobby.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966620 11/20/17 04:26 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: CleerCreekDC
Thats crazy its just kind of an accepted "norm." We didnt miss but a bird yesterday so Im not sure shooting is our issue. I just dont think I could ever do that to somebody.

Well not sure what you would propose to do besides accept it? Shoot onsite? Create a law that says you can't observe someone else killing more ducks than you?

Several years ago me and a buddy pulled up to a launch on a smaller area. You can pretty much see the best end of the lake from the launch. There were 5 trucks. I backed up to launch and ran my spotlight around the area and got got with 4 lights none were in the spot I wanted. I hit the spot I wanted several times to make sure it was empty. Mind you this was maybe 30 minutes to lst. We scooted to the spot. We're done with 2 limits in about 20 minutes of shooting. Maybe heard 6 other shots. Buddy says we coming tomorrow? Said nope we'd have to get here real early won't do that twice let's go crappie fishing in the creek instead. Sure enough we passed that hole heading to the creek hour after sun up. Some dumb dumb was about 50 yards from the x. In a giant boat blind sticking out like a sore thumb.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: ducknbass] #6966654 11/20/17 04:44 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Well not sure what you would propose to do besides accept it? Shoot onsite? Create a law that says you can't observe someone else killing more ducks than you?

Several years ago me and a buddy pulled up to a launch on a smaller area. You can pretty much see the best end of the lake from the launch. There were 5 trucks. I backed up to launch and ran my spotlight around the area and got got with 4 lights none were in the spot I wanted. I hit the spot I wanted several times to make sure it was empty. Mind you this was maybe 30 minutes to lst. We scooted to the spot. We're done with 2 limits in about 20 minutes of shooting. Maybe heard 6 other shots. Buddy says we coming tomorrow? Said nope we'd have to get here real early won't do that twice let's go crappie fishing in the creek instead. Sure enough we passed that hole heading to the creek hour after sun up. Some dumb dumb was about 50 yards from the x. In a giant boat blind sticking out like a sore thumb.

did you catch any crappie?

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966656 11/20/17 04:45 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Boom scouting, just the way it is.

Yesterday I was happy to get my plan A spot. Got there later than normal, was all setup with 20 minutes to spare. 10 minutes AFTER LST a guy walks up with a head lamp on. At 8 am (when I'm normally done) a couple of other guys walked up. Started talking about how far they had to drive and walk to get there like I gave a rat's arse. I packed up and left - won't be hunting that spot any more, at least on weekends. Not mad about it, just gonna move on.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: LarryCopper] #6966679 11/20/17 05:08 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Boom scouting, just the way it is.

Yesterday I was happy to get my plan A spot. Got there later than normal, was all setup with 20 minutes to spare. 10 minutes AFTER LST a guy walks up with a head lamp on. At 8 am (when I'm normally done) a couple of other guys walked up. Started talking about how far they had to drive and walk to get there like I gave a rat's arse. I packed up and left - won't be hunting that spot any more, at least on weekends. Not mad about it, just gonna move on.

That's called scouting?

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: BarneyWho] #6966687 11/20/17 05:12 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

did you catch any crappie?

Does a squirrel eat acorns?

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966707 11/20/17 05:22 PM
A
AbeLinkkin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I don't really see a problem with either of these situations. Yes, it was a little crappy for them to come up on you while you are still hunting. Of course I am going to try and find where people are doing the best shooting. Its called scouting. Just because you were there hunting doesn't mean its your spot forever. If you are constantly killing birds you will have to deal with a little competition for your spots. That's public land in a nutshell.

Last edited by AbeLinkkin; 11/20/17 05:24 PM.
Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966719 11/20/17 05:30 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
Thats intersting that its called scouting in duck hunting but its called pot licking and the bent pole pattern in bass fishing. Im totally fine with it if its just the way it is and ok to do. My buddy said the exact same thing.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966748 11/20/17 05:54 PM
O
Ojai Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I'm used to hunting in Federal Reserves where you are assigned a blind area and about a 20 acre rice pond that you are not allowed to leave, (or enter) if you are not on the blind permit.
There are some free roam areas, where you potentially cross paths with other hunters, but for the most part other hunters do not approach you like you described.
I have hunted public lands in South Dakota and sometimes when it really slows down a guy might come up and bs, and some of the nicest hunters I've met that way. If you are hunting public lands and you're not right in the thick of shooting, you might meet some newbies that need some help, after all it's in our best interest to encourage hunting for the future right?
just my 2 cents.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966763 11/20/17 06:00 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
there are many folks these days in every sport that have no common courtesy.

the "sound shot" and "hail mary shot" people on public land are the ones
that get me

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: maximum] #6966789 11/20/17 06:16 PM
O
Ojai Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: maximum

that get me

If you don't mind, what is a "sound shot"?

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966811 11/20/17 06:27 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Everyone boom scouts wether they like to admit it or not

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966814 11/20/17 06:29 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
There are a lot of other things that piss me off more, like how it sounded like world war 3 15 minutes before legal yesterday, and people sky blasting water turkeys on both sides of me non stop until 9

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966839 11/20/17 06:43 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
We heard somone shoot 8 minutes before LST and we had mallards cupping into the decoys

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966852 11/20/17 06:52 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
CleerCreekDC what lake was this on? bolt

J/K, don't answer that.

Like someone said you just got to get their earlier now. The "X" is open to the first person to get there, and you'll never know if someone that beats you there, if they found it on their own, or found it from someone else having a good hunt.

I walk in, so I've never done that. I have come back to a lake latter, without waders on, to see if I could figure out where folks where shooting. Dam near impossible to know the exact spot, unless they leave their shells and trash. That will send mixed emotions.

Of course the places I'm hunting, it really isn't to hard to figure out where to set up. Not a lot of locations on the area lakes to hunt.

Just get their early and enjoy the birds.

[Linked Image]
Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966855 11/20/17 06:54 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
So one more question.

Why is poaching someones hole or "boom scouting" ok but naming a lake on this forum a huge no no. What is the difference? Basically saying its ok to find out and hunt their spot but I have been a lurker here for a long time and everyone loses their mind if a lake gets named. Cant seem to understand why 1 is perfectly ok but the other is not? Does actually witnessing the other people do better then you give you the "OK" to poach them because you were in earshot of their shooting?

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: ducknbass] #6966858 11/20/17 06:59 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Does a squirrel eat acorns?

squirrels eat lots of stuff. Did you catch them or not?

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966859 11/20/17 07:00 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
So one more question.

Why is poaching someones hole or "boom scouting" ok but naming a lake on this forum a huge no no. What is the difference? Basically saying its ok to find out and hunt their spot but I have been a lurker here for a long time and everyone loses their mind if a lake gets named. Cant seem to understand why 1 is perfectly ok but the other is not?

Because the boom scouter found you by being there, not by reading about it.

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966862 11/20/17 07:04 PM
C
CleerCreekDC Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
C
So being within earshot of the shots and potlicking the hole is perfectly acceptable but reading about a general lake and going in blind is completely unacceptable. Makes sense....

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: Ojai Hunter] #6966869 11/20/17 07:08 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Ojai Hunter
Originally Posted By: maximum

that get me

If you don't mind, what is a "sound shot"?

that's when someone is "hunting" and shoots at something they
heard instead of properly visually identifying it as game.
example-
"whaddid yew git this mornin' zeke?"
"nuthin' homer. i made a hail mary shot, and took 2 sound shots. didunt fine any blood."

Re: Duck hunters are worse then fishermen! [Re: CleerCreekDC] #6966872 11/20/17 07:09 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Just part of the fun

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide