Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,732,008
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6961467 11/15/17 06:28 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
on scalebusters "feral pointer" above I bought my dad a pup about 12 years ago for his birthday, mainly because my wife drew the line at three dogs and I wanted a fourth to be able to have two braces going all day. He took her out once when she about 10 mos old and he and buddy couldnt control her. Dad and I went to a lease we had at the time in Archer City, and I drove up to the top of a hill that was about 80 foot higher than rest of the pasture. We let her out and dad stepped into a rabbit hole and then fell onto a rock and banged his ribs pretty hard. It took me about 3 minutes to get him up and walking. When I ran to edge of hill, Abbey had vanished out of the mile visibility we had from the hill. I started shocking her to no avail, and we spent about three hours driving the 2000 acres and never saw her. I put up signs before we left in town and probably got two calls a day from locals that would see her run down main street or be running in a bar ditch, but when you approached she would kick it into high gear and skedaddle. When she finally got hungry 10 days later, a rancher that had seen her three or four times coaxed her up to him with a piece of bread. Called me said he had caught finally caught the town mascot, and looks like a coyote might have bit her tail but then probably got left in the dust after that because no other wounds on her. We took her to a trainer to see if he could break her and he said he had lost her twice, this dog is a horseback dog and will always be a horseback dog, and you better have a horse that is in damn good shape so we traded her for a walking dog that dad still has. The trainer put a little time into her and sold her for big dollars and she placed second in her first 3 hr horseback trial. I made contact with the handler in NC and called him about 18 mos later and she had placed or won in about every regional trial she was entered in and was working her way her up.

Good story and goodonya getting her to where she belonged. cheers

Bobby Barnett

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6961517 11/15/17 06:54 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Those stories beat all.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6963450 11/17/17 04:25 AM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Somebody mentioned taking the pup with you everywhere you can. While I'm not sure that will solve this problem, it does tend to result in a more biddable, obedient dog and is a good thing for timid and field shy dogs. That is, assuming you correct it when it does something you don't like.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6963513 11/17/17 09:34 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Dances where did that dog come from that you lost

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6963541 11/17/17 11:42 AM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Blanked - sent you a PM. I remember there was a lot of miller in her, but I gave the papers back so dont have them anymore

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: TDH09] #6964746 11/18/17 03:38 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: TDH09
This is an easy fix.

Take your pup out to grounds you are familiar with.

When he is out running, hide from the dog. He’ll look for you and when he finds you shower himwith praise. Repeat a few times and he will learn to keep you in sight or at least check in to make sure you are in the area.

Last thing I would do is light the dog up with a shock collar. Not at least until after you have taught him not to run off.

Good luck

I had a young pup, that could have cared-less if you hid from her. At three months old, she would be 100 yards away chasing anything that moved. She even tried to chase a airplane that was flying over.
Lots of time on a checkcord, and overlapped the commands to a ecollar. Before she was ready for a ecollar, I ran her in big fenced in areas on a cc. She had to come to me to get water, and put birds in a bird bag. Those two things would get her to come to me. She turned out to be a very goood bird dog.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6964780 11/18/17 04:24 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
If you want your dog to work close it may be difficult. It sounds like you have a dog that likes to hunt big. Having another dog that likes to hunt close may help to moderate, though in this type of brace the closer working dog may stretch things out a bit.

However, if your dog will not come when you whistle, then this is an obedience(heal, here, whoa) problem. Go back to yard training with a check cord and pinch collar making sure you have him solid close in. Add in the e-collar along with the pinch collar after he is solid with the pinch collar. Pressure on the pinch collar and e-collar should be at the same time and done at the time of calling (avoidance training). There are times in the field where I will recall my dog and make them walk at heel for a bit before sending them out, or whoa (sit for flushing dog) them if ranging too far so hunters on foot can catch up. Both techniques can gradually teach them to work a bit closer.

Always make sure you have the control. Besides a simple recall during hunting, there can be other obstacles that must be avoided, such as a busy road or stout barbed wire fences.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6964789 11/18/17 04:31 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: pharmvet
Took my 10 mo old pup out this weekend. Put him on the ground several times and he just doesn't have any interest in staying with me. Had a Garmin on him and he would routinely be 500-700 yds from me. Just doing his own thing. Might come through once during a hunting round. Would drink some water, then just head out on another solo adventure. Very discouraging. Any hope for him? Have you ever had one act like this? Did they ever start hunting with you? Suggestions welcome.

Have you tried letting him drag a split chain? That’ll slow him down some.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide