Forum Stats
62805 Members
46 Forums
440035 Topics
6059626 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6961255 - 11/15/17 10:06 AM Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics??
C&H OutDoors Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Keller Tx
Random thought I had the other day when I was hunting. I’m starting to notice more and more tall narrow bucks. So, my thought was if a deer is 2 1/2 years old and has a wide rack he’s going to be shot in the AR areas. But, if he has a tall narrow rake it could take him 4 or 5 years before he is 13+ inches.

One could shoot a 110 inch 2 ˝ year old buck with a 15 inch spread so consequently that deer did not have the opportunity to spread his genetics. On the other hand, my friend just shot a 5 year old deer that scored 163 with a 13 inch spread so that deer had way more opportunity to spread his genetics.

What are your thoughts, do you think overtime we will see less and less wide deer and more tall basket rack deer?

#6961274 - 11/15/17 10:22 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
The genetics of the overall herd will still be there. What you see in the older narrow bucks is a result of what has been allowed to reach maturity and is not a pure example of the genetics of the area.

For example, out West there are ranches that are corporate leases and are more or less “day leased” to clients. These ranches get topped out, so all the mature deer are very weak. Basically, the better deer are shot at 3-4yo. The genetics to produce a higher top end is still there, but it would take a few years to allow that trait to become prevalent again.

IMO, it is virtually impossible to “change the genetics” of a LF herd. Shooting simply allows you to decide which deer reach their max potential by reaching full maturity.

#6961314 - 11/15/17 10:45 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hill county
No.
Originally Posted By: txshntr

IMO, it is virtually impossible to “change the genetics” of a LF herd.
Exactly

#6961319 - 11/15/17 10:47 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: txshntr]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
The genetics of the overall herd will still be there. What you see in the older narrow bucks is a result of what has been allowed to reach maturity and is not a pure example of the genetics of the area.

For example, out West there are ranches that are corporate leases and are more or less “day leased” to clients. These ranches get topped out, so all the mature deer are very weak. Basically, the better deer are shot at 3-4yo. The genetics to produce a higher top end is still there, but it would take a few years to allow that trait to become prevalent again.

IMO, it is virtually impossible to “change the genetics” of a LF herd. Shooting simply allows you to decide which deer reach their max potential by reaching full maturity.

True. And what many don't factor in is the doe's influence on Genetics. 50% determining factor.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6961321 - 11/15/17 10:47 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

One question. DO you have to shoot a buck every year? Doe play a big part in management as well. weak buck+nice doe=mediocre offspring, Nice buck+weak doe=mediocre offspring, weak buck+weak doe=weak offspring, great buck+great doe may or may not = great offspring but will result in a better class off spring than the earlier 3 options. Of course it takes cooperation with neighbors on small parcels. It was a hard sale but we have adapted. see below and we stay within the AR rules.

Our strategy has changed since the "shoot anything guys" left. Kids get most pre-rut hunts on my place to take out what is mature and we don't want breeding. I get my does in archery if I can. I like to sit during the rut but if I see a big buck tending does he doesn't get shot. Post rut when they start looking for their new homes well, I try to be there to get that one that made my jaw drop.

#6961325 - 11/15/17 10:49 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

up

True. And what many don't factor in is the doe's influence on Genetics. 50% determining factor.

#6961331 - 11/15/17 10:51 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover

Loc: Hickory Creek, Fannin Co. Texa...
Originally Posted By: C&H OutDoors
Random thought I had the other day when I was hunting. I’m starting to notice more and more tall narrow bucks. So, my thought was if a deer is 2 1/2 years old and has a wide rack he’s going to be shot in the AR areas. But, if he has a tall narrow rake it could take him 4 or 5 years before he is 13+ inches.

One could shoot a 110 inch 2 ˝ year old buck with a 15 inch spread so consequently that deer did not have the opportunity to spread his genetics. On the other hand, my friend just shot a 5 year old deer that scored 163 with a 13 inch spread so that deer had way more opportunity to spread his genetics.

What are your thoughts, do you think overtime we will see less and less wide deer and more tall basket rack deer?

You are correct.
It is known as high grading.
There are numerous scientific articles about the subject from past failures in other states.

Every deer that was alive when AR started, is dead. There are 4th generation AR bucks breeding right now. If time alone was going to change things, they would all be monsters by now.

TPWD even had a paid outside source do a review of the science, and told them it was a failure. Both from high grading, poor data, and overly applying the program to areas with no data or vastly different ecosystems.

The data does not support having the restrictions, or that the restrictions are changing anything but age. In areas of low density, it is decimating the herd. And the allowance of the single unbranched antler tag as a reach-out to opponents, even made the plan worse.

Has it helped in places with high deer density, maybe. Is it the end all be all state wide, no. Not even close. Until they have hard scientifically produced data, there's no way to manage the statewide herd. They need better data, and the only way to do that is check stations. Random sampling is pitiful, and self-reporting is a joke on most MLD and club lands. And in many counties, their decisions were based only on game warden reports from illegally taken deer, with no other data.

Plainly, have you ever seen a rancher slaughter/eat his best herd bulls each year, leave the weaker, smaller bulls, and expect the herd to get better or healthier?

You have a friend in the gun business!

www.Rguns.com
Vernon Richardson
Richardson's Gun Shop
Hickory Creek Hunting Company
3701 FM 816
Wolfe City, TX 75496
903-496-7747
Email vernon at rguns dot com

#6961344 - 11/15/17 11:03 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I know it is a popular thought that the big mature bucks do the breeding, but I just don't believe that is how it happens. I believe there are bucks of all ages out there getting it done, so a buck that is shot at 2.5 has potentially already spread his genes for 2 seasons.

Also a narrow buck may breed a doe and produce a buck just like him or he might produce something completely different. The does genes make up some of it and I believe the buck can also carry genes for traits that he does not express. The melting pot of genes produced all the deer you see in a LF environment and I tend to believe they will have the capacity to do it again.

#6961348 - 11/15/17 11:07 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
THF Celebrity

Are AR's perfect? Hell no. But until all dear are implanted with a chip at birth with their age, genetic makeup, and family tree that can be pulled up on a tablet from any hunters blind I think its about as good as we are going to get.

#6961396 - 11/15/17 11:34 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hill county
Don't really know how to respond to sig226fans post but thats not what I've seen at all. I hunt several counties that are under the AR and all of them have seen an increase in the deer population for the better. AR = more bucks survive = shorter breeding season = shorter fawning season = more fawns survive. It was not uncommon before the AR buck to doe ratio as 1 to 10, that one buck had to do alot of of breeding, all the does still got bred but it was way spread out. Now in most areas I'm seeing more bucks than does, and while ideally you want a 50/50 ratio, I will take 60/40 in favor of the male species, its much healthier thatn the 10/90 we had before...

#6961400 - 11/15/17 11:38 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Originally Posted By: C&H OutDoors

You are correct.
It is known as high grading.
There are numerous scientific articles about the subject from past failures in other states.

Every deer that was alive when AR started, is dead. There are 4th generation AR bucks breeding right now. If time alone was going to change things, they would all be monsters by now.

TPWD even had a paid outside source do a review of the science, and told them it was a failure. Both from high grading, poor data, and overly applying the program to areas with no data or vastly different ecosystems.

The data does not support having the restrictions, or that the restrictions are changing anything but age. In areas of low density, it is decimating the herd. And the allowance of the single unbranched antler tag as a reach-out to opponents, even made the plan worse.

Has it helped in places with high deer density, maybe. Is it the end all be all state wide, no. Not even close. Until they have hard scientifically produced data, there's no way to manage the statewide herd. They need better data, and the only way to do that is check stations. Random sampling is pitiful, and self-reporting is a joke on most MLD and club lands. And in many counties, their decisions were based only on game warden reports from illegally taken deer, with no other data.

Plainly, have you ever seen a rancher slaughter/eat his best herd bulls each year, leave the weaker, smaller bulls, and expect the herd to get better or healthier?

I thought increasing the number of bucks that made it to the higher age brackets was the goal no? Wouldn't you agree that generally mature/more mature/older deer have better larger more desirable racks than younger/immature deer?

#6961406 - 11/15/17 11:44 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

Won't change genetics but with free range deer it will give all bucks an equal opportunity to spread their genes over a wider range due to longer life span. Can bring good and negative but does create the chance of seeing a great deer.

#6961420 - 11/15/17 11:56 AM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
To me it's simple. Letting bucks get past the 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 yr. old age cohort without getting shot both; 1)increases the average size of the deer taken and 2)increases the numbers of deer that reach the age of maturity. It's simply a numbers game. Win/win over the old system.

This is especially true given that (in my area) bucks that reach 4 1/2 and older become a different animal, becoming smarter and more nocturnal. Therefore, even more of them survive. So, it's even better than just a numbers game.

So, I don't see any 'high grading' effect where I am. I see more big bucks both being harvested and surviving - even though that sounds contradictory (it is not). Generally speaking, ARs are not in place in the very high density areas. Neither are restrictive one-buck (13" plus) bag limits.

Sure, not every old deer becomes a trophy. But it is a given that no/few young deer are trophies. So I don't see that as either here nor there really.

#6961447 - 11/15/17 12:12 PM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
To me it's simple. Letting bucks get past the 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 yr. old age cohort without getting shot both; 1)increases the average size of the deer taken and 2)increases the numbers of deer that reach the age of maturity. It's simply a numbers game. Win/win over the old system.

This is especially true given that (in my area) bucks that reach 4 1/2 and older become a different animal, becoming smarter and more nocturnal. Therefore, even more of them survive. So, it's even better than just a numbers game.

So, I don't see any 'high grading' effect where I am. I see more big bucks both being harvested and surviving - even though that sounds contradictory (it is not). Generally speaking, ARs are not in place in the very high density areas. Neither are restrictive one-buck (13" plus) bag limits.

Sure, not every old deer becomes a trophy. But it is a given that no/few young deer are trophies. So I don't see that as either here nor there really.
up

#6961488 - 11/15/17 12:38 PM Re: Will Antler Restriction Change Deer Genetics?? [Re: C&H OutDoors]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

To say that antler restrictions don't impact the genetic makeup of the herd is like saying you don't change the volume of a bucket of water by removing even the smallest amount.

As far high grading by shooting the "width" out of the herd, I believe it's possible to see an increase in tall, narrow-racked bucks that find protection much longer than their wide-racked peers. However, studies have shown these are often the spikes that lag those same peers during their initial years. It would be great if the current rules could be modified somehow so these "antelope-looking" deer could be legally taken.

Spring, Texas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide