Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6960125 - 11/14/17 01:45 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: MBradford]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: MBradford
Originally Posted By: hetman
Newfoundland - giant protective great with kids.

Cane Corsos are not for Kids !!!!!!!!!!!

when I was growing up in Beeville Tx my uncle had been stationed in newfoundland with the military and brought me a pup from there. my parents use to tell me stories where he would drag my butt back home on my 3 wheeler after I got a wild hair and decided to peddle down the highway to town. Also when my mom had enough of my silly chit and decided I need a good butt whipping, he would stand between us not being aggressive to mom but trying to protect me just the same. He got hit by a car one day and that was that. he was a very large teddy bear that took care of me many times.

I bet a dog like that will really love Texas in July and August.

They jump in any water they see. My buddy takes his to the beach in Galveston and stays in the water the whole time.

#6960139 - 11/14/17 01:59 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
BigPig Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
Big dogs are awesome. St Bernard’s and Mastiffs are very good with kids and protective. 2 biggest issues is joint/back problems, and short life expectancy

Great Pyrenees would be cool. Big and very protective

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6960183 - 11/14/17 02:27 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: bill oxner]
Bass&More Offline
Tracker

Loc: Jack County
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
You didn't ask but my favorite breed of non hunting dogs are the German Shepherds..

peep

#6960207 - 11/14/17 02:41 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
spankyttx Offline
Light Foot

i lost my golden Pyrenees last year, one of the best family dogs i have had, smart, easy to train, very protective, very loving, they don't slobber as much as a mastiff, they don't do so well in the heat so i would have him shaved in the summer time and it also helped with the shedding, he was around 130 pounds and kept the critters out of the yard, man i miss that pup, the golden pyre is a breed of the pyre and golden retriever

#6960255 - 11/14/17 03:05 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
mrmo Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: 31*32'57"N 97*8'47"W

Great Pyrenees Best Friend you'll ever Own..... up

#6960258 - 11/14/17 03:07 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
gtrich94 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
We found a Mastiff yearling that had run away from home and had her for a couple of days until we found the owner. Incredibly sweet dog, but man did she drool. Compared to our Rott, she was a giant. I've always wanted a Great Dane.

#6960262 - 11/14/17 03:09 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
SR025 Online   shocked
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Great Dane, have a blue Merle male that weighs 170lbs. His dad was 210 lbs

#6960285 - 11/14/17 03:19 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

Blood hounds are droolers too.

#6960356 - 11/14/17 03:58 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: hetman]
hopalong Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: drake river ranch (formerly p...
Originally Posted By: hetman
Newfoundland - giant protective great with kids.

Cane Corsos are not for Kids !!!!!!!!!!!

when I was growing up in Beeville Tx my uncle had been stationed in newfoundland with the military and brought me a pup from there. my parents use to tell me stories where he would drag my butt back home on my 3 wheeler after I got a wild hair and decided to peddle down the highway to town. Also when my mom had enough of my silly chit and decided I need a good butt whipping, he would stand between us not being aggressive to mom but trying to protect me just the same. He got hit by a car one day and that was that. he was a very large teddy bear that took care of me many times.

was digging for this. Newfoundland

The Newfoundland is a large, strong dog breed from — wait for it — Newfoundland. He was originally used as a working dog to pull nets for fishermen and haul wood from the forest. He is a capable and hardworking dog, well suited to work on land or water. He is a strong swimmer and equally strong “pack horse.” Sweet-natured and responsive, he makes a wonderful family companion as well.
Read more at http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/newfoundland#2wP159rpGoG3uy0j.99

Read more at http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/newfoundland#lyj6SQhHx0qyYgOv.99

buddy of mine in durango had 2, best dogs and most fun I have ever been around. total clowns around water.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

#6960371 - 11/14/17 04:07 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: hopalong]
INRUT Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: At My Happy place
With from this

To This

#6960374 - 11/14/17 04:12 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: INRUT]
takewhatyoucan64 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Jamaica Beach
Next dog one day will be a standard schnauzer.

#6960377 - 11/14/17 04:18 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
HuntingTexas Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Duncanville, Tx.
GSD for the win !!

#6960378 - 11/14/17 04:18 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rockport
I have had Boerboels, or South African mastiff. Incredible dogs. You need to be experienced with owning large dominant breeds. They are incredibly loyal and protective of there families and even other pets. I highly recommend researching your breeder thoroughly. They are the healthiest and most active and agile of all the mastiffs. they don't drool near as much as many other breeds, but they do drool! When having any of the giant breeds of dogs, you need to be very careful of "bloat" when feeding them. THey are so large and can eat so much that if they do too much after eating, there stomachs can expand and twist. It is very easy to prevent, and good feeding practices will minimize the chance. Also they do very well being fed "raw" diet, it isn't near as expensive or hard as you would think. this is the most natural diet you can feed any dog and it will show almost immediately. Cant recommend this enough.

These are very impressive specimens of dogs. They are usually pretty even tempered, but make sure you work with a reputable breeder! Cant stress this enough! And last I checked, there were no breeders in Texas that I would use!!!!!!!!!!! My last one came from South Africa and he was huge, weighed in at 175, and I kept him lean. He was able to jump in the back of my truck with the tailgate up. They are very athletic. They like to have a job to do, and have constant interaction with their family. They are first and foremost a guard dog, you will not have to train them to do this lol. They need to be socialized at an early age, and constant socialization up until they are at least 6 months old. They do with other pets and animals as they will consider them part of the family and aggressively protect them.

I would encourage any potential boerboel, or mastiff owner to really read about the breed(s) and decide which fits you best. All these dogs are incredibly powerful and can do serious damage if you don't raise them right, and keep them stimulated mentally. I loved mine to death, he stayed with the ex wife, as I travel to much for work. And to this day she has no need to lock her door at night. Absolutely great dogs and a fun adventure. Let me know if you have any specific questions I would be glad to help or talk to you about them.

https://spitsvuurboerboels.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/spitsvuur-ramkat-251010-4.jpg

Edited by Chunky Dunk (11/14/17 04:21 PM)

#6960384 - 11/14/17 04:21 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
Mike W Offline

Loc: Outside
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Mullet Head wants a "big puppy". We have always had boxers and currently have a 2 year old female that's about 50lbs. My male, Zeus, passed away in 2015 and he was 98lbs. She says she wants one "way bigger than Zeus". My wife is partial to mastiff breeds and I've always like Cane Corsos.
Anyone have experience with mastiffs or other family friendly extra large breeds? Will be an inside dog with about 20 acres to roam on.

Mastiffs are generally great dogs. I would get a pup from a quality breeder to avoid any undetected previous owner issues. My neighbor has a great dane and she is a wonderful dog too, not sure of exact weight but she is over 100lbs.

#6960429 - 11/14/17 05:03 PM Re: "Big Dog" Recommendations [Re: TexFlip]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
I think Whitewing Maniac has a Mastiff.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide