Forum Stats
62651 Members
46 Forums
438143 Topics
6035021 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6958537 - 11/13/17 01:11 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: maximus_flavius]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
FWIW, the last time I spoke with a TP&WD biologist, he insisted that out off all the spike jaws he inspects every year, all these years, he's never seen a spike over 1.5 years old. He said every spike is under 1.5, period.

What's y'all thoughts?

I'm saving our spike jaws this year to show him (without telling him they are are all spikes), just to test.........

I don't believe he is right. We have shot a few spikes that were 10 +/- inches long and weight 130 lbs on the hoof. Comparing them to other deer they looked like 2 year olds and by weight they weigh what the 2 year olds weigh.

#6958554 - 11/13/17 01:21 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: redchevy]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: redchevy
FWIW, the last time I spoke with a TP&WD biologist, he insisted that out off all the spike jaws he inspects every year, all these years, he's never seen a spike over 1.5 years old. He said every spike is under 1.5, period.

What's y'all thoughts?

I'm saving our spike jaws this year to show him (without telling him they are are all spikes), just to test.........

I don't believe he is right. We have shot a few spikes that were 10 +/- inches long and weight 130 lbs on the hoof. Comparing them to other deer they looked like 2 year olds and by weight they weigh what the 2 year olds weigh.

http://www.deerage.com/ Cementum annuli forensic aging.

#6958576 - 11/13/17 01:39 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: DQ Kid]
BassBuster1 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Denton
I want to kill one frequenting one of my feeders but his spike flattens a bit toward the tip and has the slightest fork at the very tip. From binos and scope he is a spike on one side but I saw a good shot of him on camera which saved his young life Saturday morning.

Edited by BassBuster1 (11/13/17 01:42 PM)
Edit Reason: I can not spell and I have huge fingers which can not type!

#6958678 - 11/13/17 03:06 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: DQ Kid]
djs303 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Jackson County
rifle

#6958690 - 11/13/17 03:16 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

What's y'all thoughts?

Would love to send some stuff off, but the wait is too much for me, I loose interest in it. On the ones we have shot they also had the correct 2 cusp 3rd tooth which would indicate they were 2.5 also. I feel like I know how old they were and don't want to invest the time in it. I do still have the jaw off the doe I shot last year that I think was over 10 and may do something with it. A buddy of mine has sent off a few that came back at 8-9 years old and he says her teeth look way worse than those bucks.

#6958720 - 11/13/17 03:31 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: redchevy]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex

What's y'all thoughts?

Would love to send some stuff off, but the wait is too much for me, I loose interest in it. On the ones we have shot they also had the correct 2 cusp 3rd tooth which would indicate they were 2.5 also. I feel like I know how old they were and don't want to invest the time in it. I do still have the jaw off the doe I shot last year that I think was over 10 and may do something with it. A buddy of mine has sent off a few that came back at 8-9 years old and he says her teeth look way worse than those bucks.

Solves a lot of arguments

#6958761 - 11/13/17 04:06 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Solves a lot of arguments

Lol, not that we argue over it, but they will make a good stocking stuffer for my brother and dad, I think I'm going to order a few, thanks for the link up

#6959483 - 11/14/17 06:16 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: DQ Kid]
Stub Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
rifle before they become 4 points at 2.5 and probably no more than a 6 or 7 point when fully mature and you cannot shoot them because of the AR rule hammer

Rodney Dangerfield

flag texas

#6959530 - 11/14/17 07:01 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: Stub]
maximus_flavius Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Stub
rifle before they become 4 points at 2.5 and probably no more than a 6 or 7 point when fully mature and you cannot shoot them because of the AR rule hammer

That's kinda what I'm thinking.

What percentage of spikes at 1.5 EVER make a nice buck?

I would guess that 99% of 2.5 year old spikes never make a decent buck.

#6959559 - 11/14/17 07:19 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: maximus_flavius]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

That's kinda what I'm thinking.

What percentage of spikes at 1.5 EVER make a nice buck?

I would guess that 99% of 2.5 year old spikes never make a decent buck.

85% can make nice bucks but less than 1% will make trophies where we hunt so we shoot them if they are 2nd year spikes or have no brows their 2nd year.

#6959560 - 11/14/17 07:19 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: 603Country]
Buck25-06 Offline
Bird Dog

Love old stories but hard to read on phone thanks for sharing . Some hunt meat some hunt horns hunt legal it's all Good!!

#6959634 - 11/14/17 08:13 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: DQ Kid]
TxAg Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Live in Katy, Hunt in Llano Co...
1.5yo are the only deer you can call 100% accurate with jawbones due to the 3rd cusp on tooth 2. So, pretty cut and dry.

We have killed a couple 2.5yo spikes, it is possible. That said, the vast majority are 1.5yo. Even though TPWD (and many others) say shoot them, I usually let them walk, with a few exceptions. I have seen years where 50% of our 1.5yo age class are spikes. I simply can't see killing half an age class. We finally have our numbers and ratios close to where they need to be, so I'll be curious to see if the incidence of 1.5yo spikes goes down.

Now, anything 2.5 or older: shoot with great prejudice.

#6959704 - 11/14/17 08:55 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: TxAg]
Stub Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
Originally Posted By: TxAg
1.5yo are the only deer you can call 100% accurate with jawbones due to the 3rd cusp on tooth 2. So, pretty cut and dry.

We have killed a couple 2.5yo spikes, it is possible. That said, the vast majority are 1.5yo. Even though TPWD (and many others) say shoot them, I usually let them walk, with a few exceptions. I have seen years where 50% of our 1.5yo age class are spikes. I simply can't see killing half an age class. We finally have our numbers and ratios close to where they need to be, so I'll be curious to see if the incidence of 1.5yo spikes goes down.

Would you let this walk?

Rodney Dangerfield

flag texas

#6959735 - 11/14/17 09:18 AM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: Stub]
SingleShot85 Online   content

Loc: S.A. and Kinney Co.
Originally Posted By: TxAg

Would you let this walk?

if that was the only buck on the place, yes but other wise rifle

#6960334 - 11/14/17 03:49 PM Re: 2.5 yo Spike - Shoot or Let go One More Year?? [Re: BassBuster1]
Texan Til I Die Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: BassBuster1
I want to kill one frequenting one of my feeders but his spike flattens a bit toward the tip and has the slightest fork at the very tip. From binos and scope he is a spike on one side but I saw a good shot of him on camera which saved his young life Saturday morning.
Are you saying you have a deer that is a spike on one side and a fork horn on the other? Doesn't this meet the definition of a legal buck in your county? I thought all AR counties had gone to the "spike on one side" rule? Recheck your county regs and see what they say.
give me shelter from the storm.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide