Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cattle on the lease [Re: Wilhunt] #6959862 11/14/17 04:41 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
We run barb wire pens. Mine are usually 2-3 strands, my buddy has 5 strand. I have tall feeders, he has a stand and fill. I run mine 5 sec once a day, he runs his 7-9 sec twice a day. I rarely have cows get in mine. If they do, they usually are right back out. His gets hit all the time. Think its because of the amount of corn on the ground plus the fact that spinner plate on a stand and fill is about eye level with a steer.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Cattle on the lease [Re: Wilhunt] #6959867 11/14/17 04:45 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Get rid of the blocks, or other good flavored attractants. The cows will eat regular corn but they have never messed with our pens (made with hog panels) to get the corn. Buddy on another pasture used some orange flavored corn (or something else sweet) and the cows destroyed his pen in one night. He stopped using that and they have never come back. Run barb wire around the top of the panels, this seems to help us as well. Good luck.

Re: Cattle on the lease [Re: redchevy] #6960060 11/14/17 07:00 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Not cringing at the trail option but those trails will be hard to distinguish and be unreliable with livestock on the property

IMO, yes and no. Deer will follow their prey instincts and choose travel routes that maximize cover, meaning funnels and pinch points that mean nothing to cattle will mean everything to deer.

Just ignore the cattle trails and view the cover and terrain from a deer's perspective. For example, if surrounding pastures have thin fingerlings of grown up fence lines or other structure that meets with the area you're hunting, you can expect these to be entry and exit points for deer as they move through the larger area.

Studying an area to locate these hot spots can take your deer hunting satisfaction to a new level as you feel you've done more to earn success, rather than just waiting for something to show up and eat.

Deer using the path of least resistance and not cover.

When you locate funnels and pinch points that also offer the path of least resistance, you really have found a honey hole.

A very common trick before the days of food plots and feeders was to sweeten a fence crossing by taking a short piece of wire to tie the bottom two strands of barbed wire closer together to create a somewhat larger opening at the bottom. In many cases, these are created naturally by washouts that occur along fence lines. Being the lazy creatures they are, deer will often prefer to scoot under a fence rather than exert more energy to jump over it. I'll make it a point to share a photo of one such place that I've been hunting very successfully for three seasons now. It has been so productive in fact that you might even call it fishing in a bucket.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/14/17 07:11 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Cattle on the lease [Re: Erathkid] #6960078 11/14/17 07:16 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Every one of our neighbors have cows. We converted to wildlife valuation a few years ago. After prescribed burns and cedar removal, our pastures are full of waist high bluestem and KRB. Our deer populations has at least doubled in the past 3-4 years. I won't go back to having cows.

Where are you located? I'm thinking seriously about doing this same thing. My assumption is that it will really create a bounce in the wildlife population.

Re: Cattle on the lease [Re: Wilhunt] #6960212 11/14/17 08:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I believe it's true. We've kept records and after getting rid of cows the population has really expanded. We're in eastern Erath, in the Chalk mountain area. Check with your county appraisal district. They can give you info on what is required to convert from ag to wildlife. Each county has their own guidelines. Good luck. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Last edited by Erathkid; 11/14/17 08:48 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide