Forum Stats
62662 Members
46 Forums
438327 Topics
6037295 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6956111 - 11/11/17 05:08 PM Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both?
flintknapper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Deep East Texas
I've always preferred Morning hunts and for some reason had better luck 'overall' than evening hunts.

My Daughter, conversely...MUCH prefers evening hunts and has always done well (hunting the exact same property that I hunt), so go figure.

I know that in some locations...deer density and hunting pressure play a big role in how many deer you see, regardless the time of day.

I just enjoy watching the woods come alive and feel that with each passing hour...my chances are getting better when I hunt mornings (sometimes all day). With evening hunts, time (and available light) are working against you, BUT...some of the best bucks we kill each year are taken late in the day.

What say you guys?

#6956116 - 11/11/17 05:13 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
MoTex Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Allen Texas
I prefer evening for seeing deer but morning for shooting deer. I don't like tracking archery deer at night and skinning quartering deer causes me to miss out on socializing/cooking/relaxing.

#6956128 - 11/11/17 05:22 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Longhunter Online   content

Loc: Ony the Shadow Knows
Either or for me. Hunt when I can prolly shot more big deer in the AM over the years.

#6956141 - 11/11/17 05:31 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Unpredictable Online   content
Light Foot

Loc: Seabrook, TX
When I first started hunting I sat evening exclusively. Then I tried going in he mornings and my sightings increased. In fact I killed 2 bucks on the very first 2 mornings I sat. Now I will go either times but I prefer morning now.

#6956154 - 11/11/17 05:40 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
As I'm sitting in my stand with the wind howling around me I'm trying to decide...and I can't! I enjoy them both! I love the morning hunts because you get to see the start of a new day with all it entails but in the evening I get to see the end of the day and there's just something about sitting, waiting and hoping that the big one will step out before dark. There's a peacefulness to both and as for success I really can't say that ones been better than the other. My best buck was in the morning but my 2nd and 3rd were in the evening. The one advantage to the evening hunt tho is that I don't have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go hunt...lol.

Hopefully the wind will let up and I'll get a good one this evening before I leave!

#6956156 - 11/11/17 05:40 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Man, I hate shooting stuff at dark. But I have.

As I get older, I get up earlier and earlier. And dark gets closer and closer to my bedtime.
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#6956202 - 11/11/17 06:14 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: MoTex]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: MoTex
I prefer evening for seeing deer but morning for shooting deer. I don't like tracking archery deer at night and skinning quartering deer causes me to miss out on socializing/cooking/relaxing.

This

#6956227 - 11/11/17 06:33 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
CTR Offline

I shoot more deer between 2pm-5pm

#6956234 - 11/11/17 06:36 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: Brother in-law]
Kpaycheck Offline
Light Foot

After hunting 30 years, i often catch myself sleeping in; therefore, i must say evening. Those nights around a campfire with family are priceless memories and i have no regrets when i sleep in. Ive got 2 shoulder mounts on the wall, from morning and evening. I am evenly split as far as shooters for either hunt, but i think quantity wise id lean morning.

To each his own!

#6956263 - 11/11/17 06:50 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Pro Tracker

Unless there is a front of some type moving through, a typical morning where I hunt (Pineywoods of Deep East Texas), will start with NO wind at all. Then as the Sun rises and temperatures increase, we will get whatever wind for the day. I definitely see more deer movement once there is a 'reliable' wind.

In the evenings (here) the wind tends to lay, the temperatures cool rapidly and I have to deal with thermals settling.

Since I am not normally shooting a very long distance (often 75 yds or less), I have to be mindful of conditions, not unlike when I am bow-hunting.

I grew up hunting in the Hill Country...and there, the terrain was much more open. In that setting..I normally saw more deer in the evening and my confidence (for seeing deer) was greater.

The odd thing here (maybe just luck, or even 'karma') is that I can hunt the exact same property, location and deer stand and NOT see hardly anything, then my Daughter comes along and a deer is virtually guaranteed to walk out.

I get clean, stay still, I am quiet...have 52 years of deer hunting experience (over 45 years with a bow 'traditional'), so its not like I'm being clumsy or careless and spooking deer.

Don't know, but evening hunts usually do not produce as many sightings or opportunities for me.

But 'junior' does OK.

Her two latest bucks:

Edited by flintknapper (11/11/17 08:18 PM)

#6956334 - 11/11/17 07:49 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Hman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Nocona, TX
Prefer evening, but more success in the morning. LOL

#6956338 - 11/11/17 07:52 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Walkabout Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Katy Texas
Flintknapper that is an excellent deer. You best go sit with your daughter she definitely has the MOJO.

#6956371 - 11/11/17 08:16 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: Walkabout]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Flintknapper that is an excellent deer. You best go sit with your daughter she definitely has the MOJO.

I usually am present on most of her hunts. In fact, I do all the prep work during the year, do the scouting, monitor the game cameras, plant the food plots, etc...

Then call her when I think the deer are moving the best. Even so...its not like you can just go sit on her stand any given day...and see deer (morning or evening). I suppose there is some amount of luck to it, since She almost always sees something to shoot.

It might be a Deer, Hog, Coyote, Bobcat (sometimes all of the above), but She will see something.

#6956499 - 11/11/17 10:09 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
I prefer the morning hunt. I face east and I get to see the beautiful sunrise.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman________

#6956524 - 11/11/17 10:30 PM Re: Do you prefer Morning or Evening hunts....success for both? [Re: flintknapper]
Roll-Tide Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Tough question, Im don't like to get up early. But am afraid of the dark.....

I'm usually the only one on my lease that goes hunting. I don't really like being out at night tracking, dressing a deer alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide