Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Another shotgun’d grizzly #6952790 11/09/17 02:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline OP
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Another bird shot grizzly kill.

Pheasant hunting and gets attacked looking for downed bird. Crazy stuff.

Good news pheasant hunter not injured and it’s more positive reinforcement for the lifting of ES protection on Grizzly, due to expansion from established home range.

I pheasant hunt a ton, I can’t image ruining into grizzly on my ranch in the plains, while kicking up ditch chickens.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/...-bear-12-gauge/

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952812 11/09/17 02:55 PM
M
Matagorda Mud Pig Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Yikes!

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952819 11/09/17 02:58 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
"Statistically bear spray offers better personal protection than a firearm when faced with a charging bear," Auchly said.

Although I've never hunted in Grizzly country, I just wouldn't be comfortable with a can of spray for a bear. How often do people shoot a charging bear with a .357, .44 or bigger and not walk away?

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952834 11/09/17 03:08 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
They are everywhere in MT and Wyo now.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: unclebubba] #6952835 11/09/17 03:08 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
"Statistically bear spray offers better personal protection than a firearm when faced with a charging bear," Auchly said.

Although I've never hunted in Grizzly country, I just wouldn't be comfortable with a can of spray for a bear. How often do people shoot a charging bear with a .357, .44 or bigger and not walk away?

Statistically I heard that if a bear has been sprayed before that there is only a 50% chance it stops it a second time and almost 0% for third.

Technically I think most issues with pistols is shooting your self or the person being attacked.

While Archery hunting in brown bear country I carried 357 sig and never thought twice. When I was in Canada I rolled with spray, if I remembered. Canada has weird bear laws.

If you carry spray buy two. Practice atleast with one of them. I was up wind playing with mine on last day and jthe wind swirling and slightly choked me up. Can has got a little recoil to it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952843 11/09/17 03:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
LOL and I remember a few years ago people on here say 12 gauge with birdshot was inadequate home defense because it wouldn't penetrate to vitals or something.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: Eyesofahunter] #6952848 11/09/17 03:13 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Yelp and moving west in to great numbers, in Idaho it’s only a matter of time before they end up in the frank church. Some say they are now in Northern CO.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: redchevy] #6952853 11/09/17 03:15 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: redchevy
LOL and I remember a few years ago people on here say 12 gauge with birdshot was inadequate home defense because it wouldn't penetrate to vitals or something.

Two dead grizzly via birdshot and two very alive shotgunner via this year suggest lethal. I guess best self defense gun, caliber, shot, bullet is what you have on you.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952934 11/09/17 03:59 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Two dead grizzly via birdshot and two very alive shotgunner via this year suggest other wise. I guess best self defense gun, caliber, shot, bullet is what you have on you.

Do you reckon if these guys KNEW they were gonna get charged by an bear that hey would take a scattergun & birdshot? Of course not. Anyone going to hunt bear would pack a serious gun for that purpose. That being said, if I'm bird hunting & a bear charges, you bet you azz that I'm gonna try to kill it with whatever I got. That doesn't mean that birdshot is advisable for bear. Nor is birdshit advisable for self defense, but if that's all I have, I'd be happy to use it.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952938 11/09/17 04:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I bet his underpants wasn't so lucky

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952950 11/09/17 04:12 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Bird shot probaly wouldn't even hurt a bear at 40 yard, but at 3 yards it's probably similar to shooting it with a slug.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6952961 11/09/17 04:18 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E

Yelp and moving west in to great numbers, in Idaho it’s only a matter of time before they end up in the frank church. Some say they are now in Northern CO.

I grew up and still have property in Wyo. When I was a kid it was a big deal to see a Griz and we wandered all over the place without giving them a second thought. Now every time you go into the woods it is a big deal if you do not see a Griz or sign. I carry both spray and a 44 mag or 45-70. I would not let my kids run around like I did back then.

I was not in elk camp this year but the report was 1 set of elk tracks 7 sets of bear tracks over a 5 day period.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: maximus_flavius] #6952972 11/09/17 04:22 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius

Two dead grizzly via birdshot and two very alive shotgunner via this year suggest other wise. I guess best self defense gun, caliber, shot, bullet is what you have on you.

Do you reckon if these guys KNEW they were gonna get charged by an bear that hey would take a scattergun & birdshot? Of course not. Anyone going to hunt bear would pack a serious gun for that purpose. That being said, if I'm bird hunting & a bear charges, you bet you azz that I'm gonna try to kill it with whatever I got. That doesn't mean that birdshot is advisable for bear. Nor is birdshit advisable for self defense, but if that's all I have, I'd be happy to use it.

For sure, but we over state limitations to a high degree. Both uses this year where bird hunters, should they have been carting a 45-70 on thier back? Toss the shotgun and unsling the 45-70 from back and use it?

Hunting a bear is different you don’t have to defend a self defense claim of why you shot a bear at 50 or a hundred yards.

My point is merely don’t under estimate the ability of the gun in your hand including shot pellets.

Oh, I use birdshot for home self defense, i can’t see over 10 yards in my home. Anything over is kind of hard to agrue self defense

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: Eyesofahunter] #6952980 11/09/17 04:28 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal

I grew up and still have property in Wyo. When I was a kid it was a big deal to see a Griz and we wandered all over the place without giving them a second thought. Now every time you go into the woods it is a big deal if you do not see a Griz or sign. I carry both spray and a 44 mag or 45-70. I would not let my kids run around like I did back then.

I was not in elk camp this year but the report was 1 set of elk tracks 7 sets of bear tracks over a 5 day period.

Yelp the run in’s will grow. Think this year it’s already at record levels.

I remember when the last Grizzly in CO was killed in 79 not 8 miles from my family’s place, extremely eye opening and uneasy felling.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: Navasot] #6953011 11/09/17 04:44 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I bet his underpants wasn't so lucky

Mine wouldn't have been......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6953508 11/09/17 11:37 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have a good friend that drew a bear tag on Kodiak and was charged by a sow. He says the problem with bear spray is lack of time to react, whereas chances are you have a gun in your hand. He shot that sow at less than 10 ft with a .300 RUM.

Went visit him in Montana last week for some duck/goose/pheasant hunting. He shot a mule deer doe for camp meat the first afternoon. He hung it outside of our cabin in the national forest. He swore there wasn't a grizzly within 75 miles of us, but it sure wasn't fun going to the outhouse in the middle of the night with that carcass hanging nearby.

Last edited by sprigsss; 11/10/17 04:01 PM.
Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6953761 11/10/17 03:13 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I would not count on bear spray to stop a charging bear. I think it mostly works as a deterrent when a bear is following you and thinking about eating you. If the bear is charging or already on top of you, you're going to have to shoot it in the head.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6954118 11/10/17 02:42 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Crazy stuff. My favorite line in the story is the last one:

"Another grizzly bear attack occurred on Saturday involving an elk hunter near Livingston. When tried to deploy bear spray the nozzel malfunctioned so he resorted to throwing the can at the bear. He was bitten on the hand, but is OK."

I could totally see myself doing that.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6954696 11/10/17 10:00 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Adam Greentree hunted elk in Colorado this year and has video of a grizzly and cubs. There’s no doubt it’s a grizzly too l seen it.

Last edited by cmc; 11/10/17 10:02 PM.
Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: cmc] #6955465 11/11/17 03:50 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: cmc

Adam Greentree hunted elk in Colorado this year and has video of a grizzly and cubs. There’s no doubt it’s a grizzly too l seen it.

Ya I saw it and would agree sure looked pretty concrete

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6955521 11/11/17 04:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
IIRC, Colorado DOW's position currently is GB are extinct in Colorado, BUT they are protected...Yeah, if you say so...

I knew a bear guide in Colorado, knew him for a long time before he passed, he told me he had no doubt there where a few left in the deeper rugged back country and swore he had seen tracks. Fella knew bears pretty good and I have no reason to doubt what he said. He fealt it was just a matter of time and a loner would be spotted, but it would depend if the person would recognize what they where looking at ( I think he was referring to the many tourist and PT residents, not sure).

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: Western] #6956069 11/11/17 10:38 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western
IIRC, Colorado DOW's position currently is GB are extinct in Colorado, BUT they are protected...Yeah, if you say so...

I knew a bear guide in Colorado, knew him for a long time before he passed, he told me he had no doubt there where a few left in the deeper rugged back country and swore he had seen tracks. Fella knew bears pretty good and I have no reason to doubt what he said. He fealt it was just a matter of time and a loner would be spotted, but it would depend if the person would recognize what they where looking at ( I think he was referring to the many tourist and PT residents, not sure).

In the late 80’s I was riding fence one summer and I still think I came across a grizz track, large, long and straight across. It was only about 8 Miles from where the “last one” was shot. That was about 10 years after last one was shot

Still werid to me last one was damn near shot in NM and not Northern CO. One would think they are in that northern CO country by now.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6956536 11/12/17 04:48 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The surest way to stop a sow from charging is to take away her credit card.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6956565 11/12/17 06:12 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
There would have been some bear SPRAY going on, but only the smell would have got out. Glad the man survived.

Re: Another shotgun’d grizzly [Re: pigplinker] #6956643 11/12/17 01:09 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
There would have been some bear SPRAY going on, but only the smell would have got out. Glad the man survived.

Quote:
FROM THE ARTICLE....Another grizzly bear attack occurred on Saturday involving an elk hunter near Livingston. When tried to deploy bear spray the nozzel malfunctioned so he resorted to throwing the can at the bear. He was bitten on the hand, but is OK.

I don't think I would trust my life to a can of spray.......that dude is lucky to be alive......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide