Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,809
Posts9,729,364
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info #6937282 10/29/17 12:59 AM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
Hi, I am looking for any advice, guidance, opinions, comments or pro/cons, or I am screwed kind of thing.

I am new to the AR- world, I told myself I would never get one but the other day Cabelas had those Anderson manufacturing .223/5.56 on
sale for 399.99. I broke down and placed my order over the phone and it will be delivered to a certain store.

Are these AR's a piece of crap? Or good enough for me as a beginner into this AR-world. It probably wont get shot to much
Can I put a regular rifle scope on top of these AR's or do they require a specific AR type of scope. It has a base on it as long as the whole top. It does not have a front swivel sling, i'll have to buy one,(more money) are the swivels model specific?
Where is the over all best place to get stuff for Ar's, I am going to be on a budget. I also get the feeling that once you get a AR that budget gets thrown out the window.

I was told by the rep with Cabelas that once I get to the store and don't like it I can return it only at that time, as long as it does not leave the store, so I do have that option too. I am hoping this is a decent rifle and i can put a regular rifle scope on for shots up to 100 yards. I also had the option to get one with a 30 rd clip or a 10 rd, I went with a 10 with the thought that it is shorter and would not get in the way carrying and shooting from the bench, and I figured if just had to have a 30 rd clip I could just go buy one.
I looked at them back in August in ft worth, and almost got it then for 499.99, but did not. I don't remember if it had that assits or shield over the spot where the empty get thrown out, how important is having those 2 items on one? or if anyone has one now can you tell me if it came with those 2 items, thanks. I am just wondering if I made a mistake get one, but for the price I could not hardly resists it and jump in on it.

So, what are you all thoughts? is it alright, supper deal, bad news or what? You can be as brutal as you want or as nice and complimentary as you want. I just wonder how many other members on here bought one to, since all the stores where sold out.

thanks ever one
j

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6937300 10/29/17 01:16 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I don't know much about Anderson, but Whittaker just got done running the S&W M&P 15 for $449 and is still running the Ruger SR-556 AR for $449. I'd take either of those before the Anderson personally. For $549, the Ruger upgraded AR has Magpul stock/grip, the Ruger upgraded trigger, and a full length quad rail. Dirt cheap for a rifle of that quality.

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6937307 10/29/17 01:24 AM
O
OkieDokie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Not familiar with the Anderson but it probably will be a good gun. My first ar was a DPMS ,not an expensive gun but it was one of my best shooting ar I’ve had. It didn’t have dust cover or forward assist and it wasn’t a problem. That’s a lot cheaper than what I paid,so you did good. You’ll need mounts made for an ar or a riser to get scope higher to be able to see through, because scope will be too low to see through.

Last edited by OkieDokie; 10/29/17 01:26 AM.

Maybe Today.
raptureready.com
Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6937309 10/29/17 01:33 AM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
For a beginning rifle and what you described using it for it’ll be fine in my opinion. Yes you can put a regular scope just need a picatinny rail mount for it. I don’t think the dust cover or the forward assist are all that necessary but that’s just me. Sounds like a good deal to me. Enjoy it.

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6939740 10/30/17 08:02 PM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
thank you guys for that help. I will check out a riser and rings for it and I need to find a front swivel sling. I have seen on another AR that had a swivel attached to a front sight and it had a flip up type rear sight that could prob work for me, but with being old and bad eyes I might need a scope.
thanks for info and willing to hear more

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6939817 10/30/17 08:38 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Call Cablelas and see if you can order the flat top picatinny rail version. It will serve you much better and give you limitless scope mounting options.

Go ahead and order a drop in trigger assembly, I highly recommend CMC from right here in Texas. This is the most important mod you can make to the rifle.

These rifles are very accurate if you have a good trigger. The mil spec trigger they come with is garbage for hunting and target shooting. If you don't want to drop the coin on the trigger assembly you can buy kits for much cheaper where you polish everything and change out the springs and it is still a noticeable improvement.

I'd recommend the Burris MTAC for your scope.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6946293 11/04/17 09:28 PM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
any more info?

thanks for what has been given

is the short red dot any good on them or should I stay with a regular type scope?

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6946333 11/04/17 10:00 PM
fgdn Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Anderson will be just fine

good starter, you have the time to learn and enjoy a damn fine shooting iron

like with everything new, read and learn as much as you can about it.

short red dot will be fine

now it is time to buy some ammo and see what it likes best. ammo prices are dropping right now

every one seems to rag on Anderson, until the lowers go on sale for less than a 40 dollar bill. and for what ever reason they are gone in a matter of minutes

should be a lot of fun, enjoy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.......holy kaka.....What a Ride!
Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: fgdn] #6946403 11/04/17 10:46 PM
easttxhoghunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
My 1st ar was a Rock River tactical hunter, 2 stage trigger and shot sub 1" groups w/some going thru the same hole or making it egg shaped. I now have 7.

NRA Life Member
Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6947367 11/05/17 11:46 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I like red dots on my ar's but that is because my intended use is 100 yards and under typically.

What is your intended use? If it is 100 yards and under you will be surprised how well you can shoot with no magnification. But if you like to go to 200 or more then yes a scope would work well. I recommend a 1-6 or 1-8 for dual purpose

do yourself a favor a just take out that crappy trigger and invest in a trigger. I know its more money but it will improve your accuracy tremendously. you can do it yourself easy as pie!

swivels are a dime a dozen. Remember this is an AR you can do anything and everything to it except make it fly.

All sorts of places for AR stuff. ARparts.com, midway usa etc etc PSA is a popular one for good prices from what I remember.

At this point you only need to invest in a trigger and a scope so let the spending begin. LOL
Yes it is a sickness and you will probably end up with a $1500 AR here by next year.

GO TRUMP!
Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6953840 11/10/17 04:51 AM
O
okjhutch Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
O
I am looking forward to getting it. I hope I don’t end up with one with $1500 in it, the wife probably give me a1500 [censored] chewing. Lol, na she’ll never know how much i spent until she reads my list of what i have purchased and what i paid for it or got into it and around what she should sell for, if not she’ll just give them away.
I don’t really expect to shoot pass 100yds since my eyes are getting worse and glass’s get stronger also with bifocals which screws me up have the time. Have to take off glass’s and look thru with bino’s or scope to see what’s out there.
I’ll have to check out those stores thats been mentioned.
I am not sure if i could change out the trigger, never done one before, i may need some advice on that.
What’s a good basic inexpensive but good trigger assembly to look for? What are some decent red dot scope to look for?
Well, thanks again for all the advise, i sure appreciate it
J

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6953853 11/10/17 05:48 AM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Replacing a trigger can be as simple as removing two pins. Check out the YouTube videos. For an inexpensive red dot scope, Primary Arms has some good ones for less than $200. Vortex is also a good budget option. Stay away from the really cheap ones.

Re: New to AR's---need some advice, comments, general info [Re: okjhutch] #6955684 11/11/17 06:30 PM
B
Busheler Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: okjhutch
Hi, I am looking for any advice, guidance, opinions, comments or pro/cons, or I am screwed kind of thing.

I am new to the AR- world, I told myself I would never get one but the other day Cabelas had those Anderson manufacturing .223/5.56 on
sale for 399.99. I broke down and placed my order over the phone and it will be delivered to a certain store.

Are these AR's a piece of crap? Or good enough for me as a beginner into this AR-world. It probably wont get shot to much
Can I put a regular rifle scope on top of these AR's or do they require a specific AR type of scope. It has a base on it as long as the whole top. It does not have a front swivel sling, i'll have to buy one,(more money) are the swivels model specific?
Where is the over all best place to get stuff for Ar's, I am going to be on a budget. I also get the feeling that once you get a AR that budget gets thrown out the window.

I was told by the rep with Cabelas that once I get to the store and don't like it I can return it only at that time, as long as it does not leave the store, so I do have that option too. I am hoping this is a decent rifle and i can put a regular rifle scope on for shots up to 100 yards. I also had the option to get one with a 30 rd clip or a 10 rd, I went with a 10 with the thought that it is shorter and would not get in the way carrying and shooting from the bench, and I figured if just had to have a 30 rd clip I could just go buy one.
I looked at them back in August in ft worth, and almost got it then for 499.99, but did not. I don't remember if it had that assits or shield over the spot where the empty get thrown out, how important is having those 2 items on one? or if anyone has one now can you tell me if it came with those 2 items, thanks. I am just wondering if I made a mistake get one, but for the price I could not hardly resists it and jump in on it.

So, what are you all thoughts? is it alright, supper deal, bad news or what? You can be as brutal as you want or as nice and complimentary as you want. I just wonder how many other members on here bought one to, since all the stores where sold out.

thanks ever one
j

I'd buy/build a PSA FF Wylde Rifle Gas Kit for $399.99. No shorter than 18",no longer than 20".

S/S over Nitride for me.............

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide