Print Thread
Ethical Questions for Duck Season #6944058 11/02/17 09:08 PM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
With the north opener right around the corner, I thought I would throw out a couple of ethical scenarios that have been rolling around in my fat head for a while and see what opinions show up. Here goes:

You scouted a good spot the day before the season opener on a lake that does not allow permanent blinds. There's no one in the parking lot but you. your out to the spot before everyone else and start to set up when you discover a brush blind has been built where you planned to hunt. Do you A) move B) hunt the blind C) move down about 15 yards and set up? What if the other party was parked in the lot when you got there?

Second one: A party sets up about 100 yards down from you. You mention you are there and have your lights burning. They tell you it is a public lake and that is where they are hunting. As the son rises the other party is working ducks that swing over your spread. Do you A) let them pass B) Stand up and scream BLAAA or C) Shoot them on the pass as the morons shouldn't have set up so close

I'm not looking for answer just discussion. It's not my intention to start a word war, just want to see what perspectives are.

thanks
J

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944064 11/02/17 09:17 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
First one is easy. If I'm the first one to that brush blind and it is where I wanted to hunt, I'm hunting in it. If Bob the Builder shows up and rants that it's his blind, I'd kindly explain the rules... too bad, go to your plan B spot. Some folks say you should invite them to hunt with you. That is not my perspective at all... I don't hunt with random jackwagons with loaded guns.

Second one depends. If the dux are in range they are gonna die, but I'm not gonna pepper and cripple any out of range just cuz the guys down from me are aholes. Knowing that most people that would do that have no clue what they are doing, I'd hold tight and call very little unless they have birds working them. They will more than likely blow them out and right over to me. With my killer jerk rig though I'm also pretty sure I'd decoy a lot more birds than them.

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944065 11/02/17 09:18 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Scenario 1 - hunt the spot. Brush blinds don't reserve anything. If the blind was right where I wanted to sit I'd either hunt it or tear it down and hunt in my lay out depending where it was. Most brush blinds stick out like a sore thumb.

Scenario 2 - already had this happen this year and they were the ones shooting at my birds when they circled within 70 yards of them. But If the ducks circled on an easy 20 yard shot and were giving my decoys a decent look id probably shoot.

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944067 11/02/17 09:19 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
1 - Get in the blind. If someone comes up and says its theirs, invite them to sit with you. Hunt together, become friends, share blind snacks and coffee.

2 - That's a tough one. Had it happen many times. They're not going to pick up their blind and decoys after shooting hours at this point. There is a lot of risk with approaching someone who is obviously armed and not receptive to being respectful to another hunter. You could attempt to drive/walk over and talk...but to me it's not worth getting shot over 6 ducks.

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: Exbellicus] #6944074 11/02/17 09:23 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
1 - Get in the blind. If someone comes up and says its theirs, invite them to sit with you. Hunt together, become friends, share blind snacks and coffee.

I understand you have good intentions with that theory, but I have to agree to disagree. The second time I did that the guy had very sketchy gun safety. Swung his muzzle my way. No thanks, I left. Won't do that again.

Now, at the boat ramp before or after the hunt I'll be a stranger's best friend. Just won't happen with guns around.

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: LarryCopper] #6944077 11/02/17 09:24 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
First one is easy. If I'm the first one to that brush blind and it is where I wanted to hunt, I'm hunting in it. If Bob the Builder shows up and rants that it's his blind, I'd kindly explain the rules... too bad, go to your plan B spot. Some folks say you should invite them to hunt with you. That is not my perspective at all... I don't hunt with random jackwagons with loaded guns.

Second one depends. If the dux are in range they are gonna die, but I'm not gonna pepper and cripple any out of range just cuz the guys down from me are aholes. Knowing that most people that would do that have no clue what they are doing, I'd hold tight and call very little unless they have birds working them. They will more than likely blow them out and right over to me. With my killer jerk rig though I'm also pretty sure I'd decoy a lot more birds than them.

x2

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6944363 11/03/17 12:49 AM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie

x2

aim
X3X4X%......

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: LarryCopper] #6944402 11/03/17 01:17 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

up

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: Erichugh22] #6944404 11/03/17 01:17 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Scenario 1 - hunt the spot. Brush blinds don't reserve anything. If the blind was right where I wanted to sit I'd either hunt it or tear it down and hunt in my lay out depending where it was. Most brush blinds stick out like a sore thumb.

Scenario 2 - already had this happen this year and they were the ones shooting at my birds when they circled within 70 yards of them. But If the ducks circled on an easy 20 yard shot and were giving my decoys a decent look id probably shoot.

up

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: Exbellicus] #6944408 11/03/17 01:22 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

2 - That's a tough one. Had it happen many times. They're not going to pick up their blind and decoys after shooting hours at this point. There is a lot of risk with approaching someone who is obviously armed and not receptive to being respectful to another hunter. You could attempt to drive/walk over and talk...but to me it's not worth getting shot over 6 ducks.

You don't want to start a fight, but you kindly tell them they are too close, tell them it is dangerous being that close, offer other spots for them to hunt... If that does not work, where eye protection or move yourself. But you should say something to them, let them know they are dicks, the duck gods will get them in the end. up

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944467 11/03/17 01:59 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
1. Find a new place to hunt. Life is too short to deal with stupid.

Takes care of all scenarios

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944549 11/03/17 03:04 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Eh I spend too much time and gas scouting, wake up too early, and travel too far to get on ducks to just walk away from a spot after my decoys are out. Maybe I've just been lucky but I hunt solo during the week a lot and have met other guys on the ramp or even on the water looking for a spot that I've ended up hunting with and never had an issue with firearm safety.

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: LarryCopper] #6944557 11/03/17 03:10 AM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Yep!

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944597 11/03/17 04:06 AM
J
jnd59 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Thanks for the replies. Answers are pretty much where I was leaning. I guess the only difference is if they built their blind and went back to the launch to get the rest of their stuff I would go to my site b. As far as the second scenario, if they are that close to my setup then their passing ducks are fair game. If they were another 100 yards away I may not have a good shot anyway, but in any event, I would let them pass unless they started working my dekes.

Thanks for the input.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6944608 11/03/17 04:35 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I learned the hard way to always leave 1 person at the blind if you are going back for another trip! Or hang a light and hope for the best...

Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: jnd59] #6945112 11/03/17 05:44 PM
A
aghntr10 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
1)D. Burn that sumbeetch down and hunt the spot.

2)D. Walk 100 yard down and kick their [censored].

Last edited by aghntr10; 11/03/17 05:44 PM.
Re: Ethical Questions for Duck Season [Re: Guy] #6945927 11/04/17 02:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Guy

You don't want to start a fight, but you kindly tell them they are too close, tell them it is dangerous being that close, offer other spots for them to hunt... If that does not work, where eye protection or move yourself. But you should say something to them, let them know they are dicks, the duck gods will get them in the end. up
up

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide