H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: 68A
1. Google earth
2. Call the game warden
3. See answer #2.

^^This and to add to #2 call the OK Warden service AND the Texas Game Wardens. There are 3 in Grayson County. Not certain about the number in Cooke County but Grayson County wardens will help you with a respectful call.

As for naming the lake not a big deal. The lake is big enough to find your own niche. If you are hunting an area over run with guides and wind-blown boats find some where else to hunt. There are untapped areas that nobody wants to take the time/effort to get to. Immigrants from southern counties come up with their expensive mud boats and camp for 3 days on a spot and expect squatters rights.

Last edited by H2O Seeker; 10/31/17 07:13 PM.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6941138 10/31/17 07:39 PM
T
Threecurl Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Lake Texoma has a well known and very established population of piranhas that have gotten all hopped up on Okie meth. Very dangerous situation. They're also rabid and infected with a particularly virulent strain of herpes. The Oklahoma game wardens also shoot Texans on sight. To be safe, I would avoid the entire Red River drainage, including the Texas Panhandle and most of western Oklahoma. You can never be too cautious.

Last edited by Threecurl; 10/31/17 07:40 PM.

If brilliant men are roses then I'm just a field of daisies.
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: Threecurl] #6941225 10/31/17 08:38 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Threecurl
Lake Texoma has a well known and very established population of piranhas that have gotten all hopped up on Okie meth. Very dangerous situation. They're also rabid and infected with a particularly virulent strain of herpes. The Oklahoma game wardens also shoot Texans on sight. To be safe, I would avoid the entire Red River drainage, including the Texas Panhandle and most of western Oklahoma. You can never be too cautious.

That's awesome. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: Threecurl] #6941442 10/31/17 11:44 PM
F
Full•Throttle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: Threecurl

Well look who the cat drug in... grin

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: Full•Throttle] #6941478 11/01/17 12:06 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Took a texoma lake namer to bring in some old hats. roflmao

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6941503 11/01/17 12:27 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I bet someones head just exploded. The only other ramp that I know of west of 377 on the Texas side that's not totally private is Cedar Bayou Marina.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6941734 11/01/17 07:08 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I once sent a PM about a county, I never posted about ducks ever again. He never came back either. True story. I am not kidding either.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6941976 11/01/17 02:14 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: cobryan
Just trying to get some info on how the duck hunting on Lake Texoma works. I know for the fishing there is a special license, not assuming there is one for duck but just lookign for the following info.

1. Is there any other ramps on the Texas side west of 377, i know that there are a couple on the Oklahoma side.
2. Can you put in on the Oklahoma side and legally hunt if you only have Texas license.
3. If you have only a Texas license do you have to hunt the Texas side of the river.

Any help would be appreciated.

Good Grief.
Top of this forum is a sticky link that is a page with links you can click through to almost every waterfowl public hunting area in Texas. You would have fared much better on the replies if you had asked this question in the public hunting forum instead of this one.

Texoma is managed by the Tulsa District Corps. Go there and look around. You should be able to click through and find the corps hunting map for that lake. Different areas have different rules.

Ramps.... Look on fishing and corps lake maps. Check the corps lake page for what is open or closed.

Fishing on the lake they say it is the original river bed that is the boundary so hunting should be the same, but unless your hunting or fishing off the bank, your just asking for trouble trying to hunt on the lake without both State's licenses.

You leave out from and return to a ramp, your asking for a ticket if you don't have that State's license. Same would apply to coming into one State's ramp with the other States season/limit if different. Same if you have fishing equipment on your boat. Right or wrong, legal or not, expect a ticket if you test it.

Fishing on the River is different. The river is Oklahoma to the Texas bank. If your standing on the bank, your in Texas. If you step in or on the water, your in Oklahoma. I imagine hunting is going to be looked at the same. You will need an OK license if hunting anywhere on the River.

Heads up, if you hunt in both states, know you are required to have the HIP for each state you hunt in.

The delta/west end of the lake can be dangerous if your not familiar with it. You can get your boat stuck on the mud or get yourself stuck in the quicksand like mud. What out for the resident meth piranhas. They travel in packs and will eat you alive.

Guides are well established and own the west end. Expect them to run an airboat through your decoys if your in the way of where they are going. Just wave and smile. Along the OK side of that red river valley more Oklahoma locals dislike Texans than do, but if respectful of them you should have no problems and no tires to change.

Last there are some National refuges and State WMAs around the lake and river. Different rules on them of course that may or may not extend to the water.

Good luck

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942207 11/01/17 05:01 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
So basically,

-The locals think they own the water to the extent your truck might not be safe at a ramp
-The guides think they own the water to the extent they will drive an airboat through your dekes just to be a dick
-The mud is quicksand and dangerous if you don't know where you are
-The piranhas have herpes and will attack aggresively
-And there are multiple jurisdictions all apparently eager to write tickets

Can't wait to try it, sounds like a blast

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942228 11/01/17 05:15 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I wouldnt worry about the herpes, they make a pill that helps keep that under control...at least thats what I heard

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942258 11/01/17 05:45 PM
C
cobryan Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Well just an FYI, I did talk to a Texas Game Warden as well as an Oklahoma Game Warden. As far as the ramp question goes you can use either Oklahoma or Texas ramps but you can only hunt the side of the lake that you are licensed in.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942268 11/01/17 05:50 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Garret and I went up there to smash the teal. Garret drank some of the water.... glad I did not. Messed him up pretty bad.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942282 11/01/17 05:57 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Well just an FYI, I did talk to a Texas Game Warden as well as an Oklahoma Game Warden. As far as the ramp question goes you can use either Oklahoma or Texas ramps but you can only hunt the side of the lake that you are licensed in.

so basically no need to buy an Oklahoma license?

"no sir, I just used this ramp, we hunted the texas side, I promise"

and ducknbass is correct, dont drink the water...apparently the herp can live in the water

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942284 11/01/17 05:58 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
A must have for Texoma dirty leg piranha protection...

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: garrett] #6942296 11/01/17 06:04 PM
C
cobryan Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
@ Garrett, that is what both the tx and ok GW told me. I have both of there names written down if i ever have an issue.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942355 11/01/17 06:42 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
@ Garrett, that is what both the tx and ok GW told me. I have both of there names written down if i ever have an issue.

rofl rofl I can't wait for the post when you run into one of the Federal Wardens. up

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942402 11/01/17 07:08 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

You might want to get whatever they said on a signed document. Doesn't sound accurate to me.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942414 11/01/17 07:17 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

By the book answers and how the real world works are two different things. But then I have never hunted there. I got that info from some guy with a red lab that claims to have hunted and fished there for over 35 years. Should have known not to trust a guy with a Vizsla trying to pass it off as a Labrador. crazy
He lied about the Piranhas too. realmad
But there are sharks.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: john paul] #6942427 11/01/17 07:26 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: john paul

You might want to get whatever they said on a signed document. Doesn't sound accurate to me.

Fo sho

Talking to a warden is like a Jason Garrett press conference.

"Sir, can I use this ramp legally"?
-There are lots of duck hunting ramps you can use to hunt ducks.
"Right, but can I use Ramp #1 specifically with only a TX Licence?"
-There are many duck hunting ramps that can be used to hunt ducks with a TX Licence. Ramp #1 is a fine ramp to hunt ducks
"But ramp #1 is in OK, and I only have a TX Licence, can I do that?"
-Duck hunting is great, in TX and in OK, ramp #1 has been used for many years to hunt ducks. Your matter will be handled internally, and we will do the right thing for the warden service about you hunting ducks.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942437 11/01/17 07:32 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Sounds like you will need to video your entire hunt to show the ducks being taken in Texas, then I am sure you will be ticketed for have the possession of those ducks in OK.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942464 11/01/17 07:45 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
True Story:

Game warden #1 called from the lake day before opening morning. Hey Mr. Warden. I am parked at ____ looking at the lake. Can I park here, hop the fence with my canoe, and hunt ____? Game Warden #1 "Sure, you can. No problem".

Opening morning.
Game warden #2 after wading out to Canoe "you can't park there and you can't enter this public hunting area across that fence". Me "but Mr Warden Game Warden #1 told me it would be fine, call and ask him. I gave him my name and vehicle description". Game warden #2 as he opens his ticket book. "Someone called and turned you in, so I have to write you a ticket. I don't care what Game Warden #1 said, the law is the law and the law says you can't do that". I did get out of the ticket, but it was not a fun experience.

Unusual or confusing situations, permissions, or grey area hunting matters, I now only take advantage of if I can get the answer in email reply or snail mail that I can carry with me on the hunt.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942489 11/01/17 08:02 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If you've never been told two things by two different wardens you've not tried hard enough.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: cobryan] #6942507 11/01/17 08:08 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Crazy boundary too. In at least one area you can be on the Texas bank, but considered Oklahoma.

Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6942508 11/01/17 08:10 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
So basically,

-The locals think they own the water to the extent your truck might not be safe at a ramp
-The guides think they own the water to the extent they will drive an airboat through your dekes just to be a dick
-The mud is quicksand and dangerous if you don't know where you are
-The piranhas have herpes and will attack aggresively
-And there are multiple jurisdictions all apparently eager to write tickets

Can't wait to try it, sounds like a blast

x2

[Linked Image]
Re: Duck Hunting on Texoma [Re: LarryCopper] #6942638 11/01/17 10:12 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
A must have for Texoma dirty leg piranha protection...

Does that come in a bigger size?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide