Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
I would love to see that in TX.

why?

I feel when you high fence your place in ,you should have to pay for the deer you trap in there, because you have now taken deer away from the other hunters. Whether you want them or not, they are now either gonna be in there or will be killed to bring in other genetics. I have no issues with high fencing, I am a landowner, just feel you should have to pay for what you have taken from the state, other hunters.

What about ranches like the king, pitchfork, etc that have 1000’s of deer that are trapped via just pure land owner ship size?

I’m all for purchase if behind fence, I’m just curious as to where the line gets drawn.

Seems backward to cut a break to the landowner simply because they fence in more deer.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942394 11/01/17 07:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
From TPWD, numbers are dated, but probably not far off:

White-tailed deer: $163 female, $525.50 male, $3,025.50 for a 150 B&C score Trophy White-tailed deer

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20040202f

That has a criminal aspect built in as a deterrent.

I don't disagree that it does, but it is not supposed to. Those numbers are in addition to criminal fines and are meant to represent the cost to the state of "raising" that animal. That is why it is considered a civil fine. No clue how they came up with it, or how close it is to the real cost.

I can remember when restitution in Okla. was $200... it now starts much higher so you can image how the $200 worked out. I have no idea what’s fair from repayment status.

I wish I had the money to fence out every deer, elk and antelope on my place but at this time it’s not ecologically feasible, but sure wouldn’t turn down a damage check.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942399 11/01/17 07:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

You get tags when you buy your license that limit what each person is allowed to take. I think you should get that number free, but anything above, you're paying.

So what if you don't shoot more than what is on your license? You didn't take any more or any less than the next guy. The state doesn't guarantee you the right to shoot a specific deer or to even have deer on your property at all I don't see this as having any point at all other than someone wanting the deer that are on someone else's property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942404 11/01/17 07:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Seems backward to cut a break to the landowner simply because they fence in more deer.

More that if the fence takes animals away from the general public, what about ranches that also take away animals from public just due to size... I could HF 2500 acres and still not get close to trapping in as many animals as some of the big LF ranches

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: High fence regulation [Re: redchevy] #6942406 11/01/17 07:13 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

So what if you don't shoot more than what is on your license? You didn't take any more or any less than the next guy. The state doesn't guarantee you the right to shoot a specific deer or to even have deer on your property at all I don't see this as having any point at all other than someone wanting the deer that are on someone else's property.

You are "taking" the deer by fencing them in and denying they public the opportunity to hunt them and take them themselves.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6942411 11/01/17 07:16 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

More that if the fence takes animals away from the general public, what about ranches that also take away animals from public just due to size... I could HF 2500 acres and still not get close to trapping in as many animals as some of the big LF ranches

I think the theory is that no matter how big the ranch, the deer could leave and wonder onto the neighbor's property. They might not, but they could.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942434 11/01/17 07:30 PM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I didn't know we had so many liberals hunting. Paying for deer trapped in a high fence...that's like paying for pollution costs from cattle.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942456 11/01/17 07:42 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

You are "taking" the deer by fencing them in and denying they public the opportunity to hunt them and take them themselves.

How many people have leased spots on high fenced properties to hunt just like low fence? They are not keeping people from killing deer.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942463 11/01/17 07:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I think the theory is that no matter how big the ranch, the deer could leave and wonder onto the neighbor's property. They might not, but they could.

When I look at the king or even Waggoner and see that I could run a deer to death before it made it across to the neighbor, I think privatization, But then again probably 100 different “what if” situations we could overthink it and add.

I would like LO’s that HF be able to move governing body from TPWD over to TAHC though. So a buy out would be first step

Re: High fence regulation [Re: redchevy] #6942571 11/01/17 08:59 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

How many people have leased spots on high fenced properties to hunt just like low fence? They are not keeping people from killing deer.

Fencing in the state's deer and then charging someone else to hunt them is still "taking" the deer from the state.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6942572 11/01/17 09:00 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

When I look at the king or even Waggoner and see that I could run a deer to death before it made it across to the neighbor, I think privatization, But then again probably 100 different “what if” situations we could overthink it and add.

I would like LO’s that HF be able to move governing body from TPWD over to TAHC though. So a buy out would be first step

I agree. I don't think you can justify it any other way.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942685 11/01/17 10:59 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Fencing in the state's deer and then charging someone else to hunt them is still "taking" the deer from the state.

Trying to understand your logic; So wouldn't it be the same for LF landowners that charge someone else to hunt deer on their property? How would they not still be taking the states deer?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High fence regulation [Re: JJH] #6942720 11/01/17 11:31 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: JJH
Out of pure curiosity , what would the appropriate value be for one of the people’s deer?

The parks and wildlife already have a price list.
It is called the state restitution fee. It is charged to anyone that takes a deer from the states herd and doesn't have a tag for it or shoots one illegally.
This price has nothing whatsoever to do with breaking the law to acquire the deer, the person that takes the deer is also charged and fined for any laws he broke to acquire it.
The same prices should apply.
It used to be on the Web site.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: huntwest] #6942804 11/02/17 12:57 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Yes, I do remember seeing it somewhere in the past.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6942905 11/02/17 01:50 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Trying to understand your logic; So wouldn't it be the same for LF landowners that charge someone else to hunt deer on their property? How would they not still be taking the states deer?

Get out of here with that simple, basic logic.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6942909 11/02/17 01:53 AM
21xsElite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Tell the state to keep THEIR damn deer out of my farm fields and off the highway so I don't have to deal with insurance companies to get my vehicles repaid after running the gauntlet every day headed to town. I'm high fencing one of my places in January and I'm doin everything possible to make sure the state gets every damn deer that is theirs out of my place so I can do my thing but when I do that the state still claims them to be theirs!

Last edited by 21xsElite; 11/02/17 01:54 AM.
Re: High fence regulation [Re: Midwaytmm] #6943456 11/02/17 02:04 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Let's look at this from another view. There is a post talking about a 150 acre lease in South Texas trying to put 3 hunters with 3 tags each. Many large landowners will not hesitate constructing a high fence along that neighboring border.

Theoretically, if the 150 acres is high fenced due to neighbors fencing him out...who pays for the deer?

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: High fence regulation [Re: Midwaytmm] #6943631 11/02/17 03:57 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

In a LF situation, the deer can leave your property and be hunted by anyone in the state, to the benefit of the people of the state. Once you put up a HF, they are your deer and you have exclusive control over who can hunt them.

The difference is that a LF LO leases the rights to access his property and hunt the state's deer. Anybody can hunt those deer, but the LO controls who accesses his property. The HF LO has complete control over the deer and who can hunt them because they can't leave his property.

It is like the difference between charging someone to access your river front property to catch their limit of fish, and scooping all the fish out the river and putting them in your tank and charging people to fish there. As soon as your remove their ability to leave your property, you have "taken" the resource.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6943641 11/02/17 04:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

In a LF situation, the deer can leave your property and be hunted by anyone in the state, to the benefit of the people of the state. Once you put up a HF, they are your deer and you have exclusive control over who can hunt them.

The difference is that a LF LO leases the rights to access his property and hunt the state's deer. Anybody can hunt those deer, but the LO controls who accesses his property. The HF LO has complete control over the deer and who can hunt them because they can't leave his property.

It is like the difference between charging someone to access your river front property to catch their limit of fish, and scooping all the fish out the river and putting them in your tank and charging people to fish there. As soon as your remove their ability to leave your property, you have "taken" the resource.

Not just anyone can hunt those LF deer. It’s often alluded that LF means equal access to those deer that’s incorrect. 171.9 million acres in Texas only 1 million of it has public access.

On top of that deer only share properties that fall with in thier home range.

The public water way example is irrelevant because it’s public not private.

Only relevant example would be private land that border public land.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6943683 11/02/17 04:29 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

Not just anyone can hunt those LF deer. It’s often alluded that LF means equal access to those deer that’s incorrect. 171.9 million acres in Texas only 1 million of it has public access.

"The public" includes your neighbors and everyone else in the area who hunts private land. It is not just public land hunters.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6943691 11/02/17 04:32 PM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

I'm still waiting for those south Texas bucks to wander on my hill country place. Maybe a Canadian buck will wander on.

What I don't get about this conversation is that there are plenty of deer in the majority of Texas. Are the people arguing for paying for deer in hf not seeing enough deer? Fencing in property also prevents outside bucks from going in so the ratio of deer per acre should not change. Genetics would be the same on both sides of the fence so high fenced lo are not hurting the herd genetics. How are they affecting the herd in a negative way?

Re: High fence regulation [Re: HCHunter28] #6943735 11/02/17 04:53 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

What I don't get about this conversation is that there are plenty of deer in the majority of Texas. Are the people arguing for paying for deer in hf not seeing enough deer? Fencing in property also prevents outside bucks from going in so the ratio of deer per acre should not change. Genetics would be the same on both sides of the fence so high fenced lo are not hurting the herd genetics. How are they affecting the herd in a negative way?

I don't think it would affect my hunting at all. It is simply that I think if someone privatizes a public resource, they should pay for it.

Re: High fence regulation [Re: Midwaytmm] #6943743 11/02/17 04:59 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I do not think deer are a public resource. Fish in a public lake/river sure, but deer are bound to where they call home... which in texas is mostly private property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: High fence regulation [Re: SherpaPhil] #6943785 11/02/17 05:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

I don't think it would affect my hunting at all. It is simply that I think if someone privatizes a public resource, they should pay for it.

What doesn’t come out doesn’t go in.

If you don’t introduce correctly you have same genetics as your neighbor. You just have a better ability to manage your habitat and herd numbers better.

HF in Texas is really just a higher degree of privatization. Deer are pretty much already privatized

Re: High fence regulation [Re: therancher] #6943807 11/02/17 05:42 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: therancher
I believe Michigan and a few other states do that. We discuss it from time to time because it's a logical modification that our state needs to adopt.

Run as many deer off as possible, and then close the fence. Fly it with a chopper to get a relatively close count and then pay the state for the native deer left inside.

That way the landowner owns the deer and the state doesn't spend resources controlling that property.

In theory this is a ideal way to get what a landowner wants out of a HF and then TPWD wont have to worry about it.... but my issue is how long until theres more HF than actual free range deer running around... this shuts off vital land to native deer that had the right to be here but now forgotten because their antlers wernt big enough.... I dont mind if people hunt HF its part of the game but there needs to be limits on huge jumps in what an owner can do inside of them like that needs to be regulated the most imo

Last edited by Navasot; 11/02/17 05:44 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide