Print Thread
buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? #6935844 10/27/17 03:51 PM
D
DeerT Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Just starting to look and understand the details of purchasing out of state. Texas has just about become cost prohibitive but looks like land in Oklahoma is sooooo much less expensive. Anyone purchased or own land in OK or seriously looked and can give any pluses/minuses/watch outs? I am thinking about tax implications (if any) of being an out of state resident and any other special state requirements for non-residents?
I'll talk to a land agent but just looking for any input from THF just because we aren't quite to that point yet and want to be realistic about what to expect.
Thanks

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6935889 10/27/17 04:24 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I'm an Okie and looked at several properties up there several years ago. Maybe where I was looking, but I didn't find it to be that much less expensive than Texas land. In many cases it was more. This is a vast overstatement, but caused me to be cautious, because of the way Oklahoma was settled, there are a lot more people living in rural areas.

When I was hunting up there on buddies ranch, we had pretty big problems with theft, we had poacher problems, pig problems, once found a tweaker stuck on road inside gate, and another time I discovered meth cookers deep in the woods while I was out stalking. With the cookers, by the time the SO was able to get out, they were gone, but left lots of trash and needles = ugh.

Not saying don't buy north of the river, just saying know the area. I love my home state, but from a hunter's perspective, think Texas is a better deal, especially when considering the length of season.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6936863 10/28/17 03:34 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There are a couple advantages of Oklahoma land. I just purchased his year so I can’t talk too much about tax issues since I haven’t filed this year, but I expect that aspect to be the same as Texas land and get write offs and all that none sense.

Hunting season is just as long, but mostly archery. Gun season is much shorter.

Land in rural Oklahoma is considered ag exempt without need to prove it, so no need to run cattle or anything on the property. Huge plus for me.

Land was about same cost or slightly more for where I looked, but I couldn’t find anything similar to what I got in Texas so I was willing to pay for what I got.

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6937326 10/29/17 01:50 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
My wife's family owns land in Ok and lives here.

It's significantly cheaper for where we live and where the OK land is.

Taxes are cheap and the land is good.

It's crawling w deer and hogs.

My father in law runs cattle on it.

What are your reservations?

My wife and I have looked into ourselves.

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6937873 10/29/17 05:55 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Oklahoma is a good bit cheap once you get away from the river. You won’t have anymore problems with people/theft/ect than you would in tx . Absentee landowners are always at risk a little. If there is thrived/meth heads or general azzhats, they’ll know when you’re gone . When I lived in nacogdoches area we would find stills, labs and dope shacks all the time in the deep woods . I’d move back in a heartbeat because I loved it there. If you find a place in ok you like , don’t be afraid to go for it. Really no different than anywhere else in my opinion. I live on border of Leon/Houston county now. Right close to the river. Lots of absentee owners. Some have problems, some don’t. Just do your homework, and trust your gut. Good luck with your search.

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6937878 10/29/17 05:57 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Side note, I travel a lot through ok. My opinion is that best value is south east-ish corner. Stewart area very nice , and looks to be about 2/3 price of equivalent land in tx

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6937882 10/29/17 05:59 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I know zero about homestead laws in ok. Assume taxes would be higher, but worth looking into

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6938637 10/30/17 02:56 AM
C
coachmas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Neighbor just bought some. Been looking for 6months. Land he bought was 50-60% less an acre than we can find around here. Coach

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6939339 10/30/17 03:49 PM
D
DeerT Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Thanks all.
I am assuming (maybe pessimistic) I would have absentee land owner issues no matter where I purchased. I was actually looking at south east as the area seems to be a great bang for your buck but there is usually a reason the land is cheaper. I guess being further away from the rivers helps.
I am glad to hear land is considered ag-exempt without cattle. Was really trying to avoid this.
I am looking at the homestead laws but get differing answers so I will keep researching. Since this will be recreational land use and not a permanent residence this one is important.
Thanks again

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6939781 10/30/17 08:23 PM
C
chk Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Most of the land you'll find down there does not have fences and potentially no access so will need to spend additional $ to get the easement/access, potentially a lawsuit. That is depending on how far SE you're talking though. I love SE OK but some of those folks beat to a different drum, just saying...

Good luck

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6943695 11/02/17 04:36 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I looked a lot in Oklahoma. Found two properties that fit all my needs. But I did not buy. Gun season is just way way to short...16 days this year.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: Mr. T.] #6943820 11/02/17 05:53 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Not sure about all of state but south central back to south east(that is 35 north to 40east) then there was/is a lot of traffic from meth. I hunt south central between Atoka and Coalgate and there is a lot of folks with issues and there are back roads that if I drive down the locals pay attention...new truck scares them senseless! Not saying there aren't some good folks and land in areas but have sit on hill and watched flash lights where they shouldn't have been. I crank off couple rounds at turtles in pond with AR just to let certain folks know my status. Helps they know who I am sometimes.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: DeerT] #6946060 11/04/17 05:00 PM
R
ratdog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I bought 300 acres north of Atoka. I was concerned about the absentee landowner thing, but so far so good. I really don't think there is a difference if you have rural land. Overall I am happy with my purchase. With appreciation and improvements I have made, it is a great investment. Not counting the benefit of having a place to hunt.

The pluses
The land was cheaper for the distance I had to drive.
The taxes are way cheaper. They have an state income tax in Okla and do not depend on property taxes to fund everything.

The minuses
To buy the nonresident hunting licences for the year it will cost you a little over $1,000.00 and like stated earlier it is a short season.

Re: buying land in Oklahoma for a Texas resident? [Re: ratdog] #6962627 11/16/17 03:35 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: ratdog
I bought 300 acres north of Atoka. I was concerned about the absentee landowner thing, but so far so good. I really don't think there is a difference if you have rural land. Overall I am happy with my purchase. With appreciation and improvements I have made, it is a great investment. Not counting the benefit of having a place to hunt.

The pluses
The land was cheaper for the distance I had to drive.
The taxes are way cheaper. They have an state income tax in Okla and do not depend on property taxes to fund everything.

The minuses
To buy the nonresident hunting licences for the year it will cost you a little over $1,000.00 and like stated earlier it is a short season.

Where at north of Atoka? Our land is south of coalgate.

Last edited by RLoving1; 11/16/17 03:36 PM.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide