Print Thread
The problem with buyin thermal.... #6932996 10/25/17 03:28 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
The way I see it, it’s a big investment, and nobody wants to get it wrong . When I first started looking , I was like everyone else, I used google, then found YouTube. The guy that owns the lone star board site has done great videos on just about every make/model. All of them seem to cover just about everything on any particularl one. The all seem unbiased to me. I remember one they did with what seemed like 6 or 7 different armasight models. Taking video at various distances, at various zoom levels ect. I can only imagine how much effort went into making those . Theres two problems with trying to decide , based on YouTube video . First, the video out features vary from model to model . It’s never going to be as good as what you see on the screen . IRD stuff has best image , in my opinion. But if you watch video , I doesn’t always look that great ..... second is when you call xyz night vision salesman, you’ve got to wonder is he/she trying to push you towards something else because it’s better for him/her to sell you that particular model/brand. I say all that, to say this ..... I’ve been there. I’ve been lucky enough to accumulate a good bit of gear over the years. If anybody want to talk about it, or even come look at my stuff , I’m glad to help . I’m in NO WAY shape or form associated with anybody, on any website ect. No money, special deals ect... obviously I don’t own every piece of equipment, but if you’re trying to decide if a 320 res, 3.5x scope is right for you, odds are I’ve got something close enough to help you decide /compare . I don’t own any ATN products, so can’t help you there .... also have i2, 2nd and 3rd gen. So even though you’ve talked yourself out of it for now, give a year. You’ll be researching that too......live outside college station, so not too far from anywhere. Hope this can help anyone who’s trying to figure out what they want . Offers open

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6933048 10/25/17 03:50 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Wanted to add something. I don’t claim to know ever feature on every model. I don’t know about gps enable WiFi tracking voter Id fraud detection . Questions like that are probably better sequined for the guys/gals that sell them . I’m more of a get close, and shoot them in the face kinda guy .....

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6933093 10/25/17 04:12 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
You're a gracious man... smile

For the 1st time user, I do think it really comes down to pure $. It's difficult to spend a couple grand on an optic for most people, particularly if you're only an occasional hunter. It's gets easier to justify with experience and increased use.

I walked the ladder from a new X-Sight I, to a used (it was really unused) Thor I, to a used XD50A, which Pulsar/Sellmark recently replaced with a new XQ50 when the video out died. I would love an IR Patrol or the like, just can't justify that kind of coin when my XQ50 will do much of the same.

Armasight is coming out with great new products as well, going to buy one of theirs I think for my RFB as I like the smaller form factor given the size of the rifle.

I would tell a new user not to buy the cheapest thing and strongly consider a good deal on a used unit as a first step to experience what it's like, to make a more informed decision for something current. The new Pulsar/Armasight products are killing the used market prices for very capable gear.

For a brand new night hunter, I'd still recommend a Thermal monocular and a NV scope over just a Thermal scope. I believe the Thermal monocular is that important.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6933186 10/25/17 04:59 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
See that’s kind of my point. Most, myself included at one point in time, say I’ve got X budget for scope . Then you look around for best deal. You call xyz nv, and they sell you something that fits your budget. Nothing wrong with that, but you might could have spent less, if you’d been able to look through something that was 70% of that cost because it was “ plenty good” for what you needed . Or maybe somebody said , man I’ve got both of those, and x performs exactly the same as y, for a lot less money .

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6933193 10/25/17 05:03 PM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
I agree about ir patrol. I’ve got one, it’s bada$$. Ird is what I use most. But if I were to start all over , I’d probably buy all pulsar and I’m sure I’d kill just as many pigs , and spend less money

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: CharlieCTx] #6933435 10/25/17 07:50 PM
B
brothernov Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
You're a gracious man... smile

For a brand new night hunter, I'd still recommend a Thermal monocular and a NV scope over just a Thermal scope. I believe the Thermal monocular is that important.

Another option is IRD/Trijicon REAP IR. It's tiny and comes with a quick detach mount. I use it as a handheld until I see something, then snap it on my rifle and I'm good to go.

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6933692 10/25/17 10:52 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
...but you might could have spent less, if you’d been able to look through something that was 70% of that cost because it was “ plenty good” for what you needed .
I think it's very much the exception where someone overbought. Most are buying low-end, expecting/hoping for high-end performance.

Originally Posted By: brothernov
Another option is IRD/Trijicon REAP IR. It's tiny and comes with a quick detach mount. I use it as a handheld until I see something, then snap it on my rifle and I'm good to go.

Excellent point and it's a great optic, but it is on the spendy side.

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6934883 10/26/17 07:58 PM
E
enigmausly Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
I see everyone's needs as being a little different - I don't hunt from a vehicle, I tend to day scout my areas, and so far maintain a fairly static position at distance - I jumped straight into thermal, quality brand (armasight) but on the lower product end - found my own niche but/and still trying to learn method alternatives to broaden my results > actually if someone on here might like a wingman, or would enjoy coaching alternative techniques, I'm frequently available to travel for the opportunity to learn/share new skills.

Alway's seeking forums where Zero is a positive;
Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: enigmausly] #6935295 10/27/17 01:40 AM
C
ccreyeder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
The REAL problem with thermal is that it is kinda like Chinese food.....no long term satiation .....

Case in point.... started with thermal monocular.... OMG.... awesome! But, as I tell the dear wife.... I really need a thermal scope to really be productive.... okay she says..... oh man, I say.... this 320 unit is nice, but if I just had a 640.....OMG..... this 640 unit is the bees knees... if I could just have a bit more magnification......

Oh my gosh! This magnifiication is great! Just wish my monocular had better resolution.......

I tell you.... it is worse than a crack addiction... LMAO

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6935316 10/27/17 02:03 AM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Lot of truth to that. No different than gasoline motors. 10 yrs ago Chevy had a v8 that was 305hp. Now standard v6 has that. Nobody wants it..... the folks that sell them bank on it. But this one has a built in recorder....

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: Midwaytmm] #6935321 10/27/17 02:07 AM
M
Midwaytmm Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
But that was kind of my point to my original offer. You have a couple choices. Rent a bunch of stuff, trust you tube, get lucky and have a friend that got some . Then you could say , yes/no good enough for your use .

Re: The problem with buyin thermal.... [Re: CharlieCTx] #6935434 10/27/17 03:42 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
.... strongly consider a good deal on a used unit as a first step to experience what it's like
To my point... this is a smokin', no-risk, great deal.

Used XQ-38

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide