6033592 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6935073 - 10/26/17 05:21 PM Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen
CharlieCTx Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
I setup a new hunting area this year where I hunt about May I believe. Put up my pen of 10-12 hog panels, Boss Buck protein feeder and within a few weeks had deer coming in. Late June I put in my new Lamco (pulled out the Boss Buck) hoping to try and train them when to come by the time deer season got here. Also have some blocks in a block feeder. Have a cell camera in there so I can monitor what's happening.

We had more than a little rain then, go on vacation, go back out late July, the troughs are full of nasty/rotten feed. Turn it off, get it all cleaned up. Shorten the story... I haven't had a single deer and hardly even a coon back in there since. I've got a few pics of deer eating corn from my hog feeder close by, but nothing is going in the pen. Last weekend I turned it back on dumping 1 sec a day and spilled a half a sack of corn on the ground. Nothing...

Why has my pen become no-man's land? Is the feeder physically too big for the pen size I have? How do I get them use to there being feed, without running into the spoiled mess again?

Thanks!

M&P-10+AAC Cyclone - Kel-Tec RFB+Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300
Pulsar XQ-50
ATN OTS 336-50mm 9hz Thermal Monocular
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#6935113 - 10/26/17 05:46 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker

I dont hunt feeders, but I have in the past in my youth mostly. I had deer in an area one time and put up a feeder. They all left that area. No tracks! I scared them off with a feeder alot smaller than those. They would eat corn thrown out by hand before that all happened. Never killed a deer on that right of way. Did see a bobcat with half length legs there though. Strange

#6935160 - 10/26/17 06:55 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

When I had activity or no activity like that we had a long tail cat in the area. Weird

#6935196 - 10/26/17 07:22 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
DQ Kid Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Height of panels, high hog population?

#6935205 - 10/26/17 07:28 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Are those post oaks I see in the pic? If it's green and you have acorns they will not eat the protein.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6935372 - 10/26/17 09:35 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
maximus_flavius Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Why has my pen become no-man's land?

Technically speaking, it's actually a "no-deer" land........

#6935425 - 10/26/17 10:31 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: maximus_flavius]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Technically speaking, it's actually a "no-deer" land........

Well, even more technically it has become "non-quadraped" land, damn coons have even abandoned the area.

Pulsar XQ-50
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#6935450 - 10/26/17 11:02 PM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
Pro Tracker

It's got good hog traffic and they seemed to be doing just fine each doing their own feeders before the new feeder arrived.

I had convinced myself that between summer heat and acorns, there was no protein eating going on anyway. When I saw pics of deer eating the corn from the hog feeder, but not eating any of what I then spread on the ground in the pen, I just don't get it.

They are standard 3 foot'ish wire hog panels, low enough for deer to get in as they were coming in to the Boss Buck.

I'll be out Saturday to clean the dang troughs out and spend my first cold night in the new blind and party with my hog friends. I think I'll leave it off and just hand corn in the pen until I see them come back in.

Pulsar XQ-50
ATN NVM14 NV Monocular

#6935488 - 10/27/17 02:42 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker

Paint that sucker with some primer and then some flat based dark paint. If it soured I'd car wash it with a pressure washer and soaps. After they get aclimated to that beastly feeder they will eventually feed from it. I'm guessing. Those things can get weevles, grubs, bugs, worms, parasites, ect in them if they brew up some homemade hog slop inside.

#6935551 - 10/27/17 07:18 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
fishbait Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Dewitt County
Protein dissolves in water...clean the feeder out and put it back in action...all will be fine. I have been using feeders inside of pens for years. Yes, there will be times when deer will not come to a feeder or very little action. This is explained at my place as Acorns, and the rut. Both will interfere with feeder and pen actions. This happens to me every year and is expected..no problem. I would suggest putting your feeder back in action with corn ....let it run, the deer will be back. This time of year I would also suggest using "Tinks 69" to help jump start action. I put out the scent all around my feeder and inside my pen every other day. Using sparingly... one drop every ten steps ...inside and out. Let us know what happens. Another problem is neighbor hunters may also be getting some of your action..be patient...continue to look for tracks, rubs, and scrapes. Don't forget to look for wacks of brush. Very important. If you hunt a large area...scout out the whole area for these signs. If you hunt a small area, check out your fence lines for crossings and brush areas for trails. Don't give up on your feeders and pens...all looks good to me...except the block..for me, the coons cleaned up, so wasted money for me. Just not my preference of feed and now protein also is not so important as corn...for me.
Good Luck ...patience and determination are the games

#6935560 - 10/27/17 07:31 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
Hunter Daddy Offline
Woodsman

I believe that the new feeder is spooking them. When we first started to use the tubed protein pellet feeders about 10 years ago, it took the deer a whole year to start coming to them. I believe anything that looks strange and out of the ordinary will spook them. Have the deer been accustom to eating out of a feeder like this before? It also does not help having "moldy" pellets. Deer won't want to come around nasty/moldy feed.
I believe it will take some time for them to get used to this style of feeder. They would rather have the "tubed" Buck Boss style.

#6935564 - 10/27/17 07:40 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
D6Ranch Online   content
Woodsman

It could be a couple of things. Did you switch brands of feed when you switched feeders? I've done that before and it turned the deer off a bit.

I run one of those same Lamco feeders and when we first put it up I ended up having to open the pen for a few weeks to get the deer to come in, once they were coming in I closed the pen back up and they finally started jumping in.

I've had to clean out soured protein too so I feel your frustration. The things I've done above have solved my problems and we get a lot of action at that feeder now.

#6935600 - 10/27/17 08:10 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
S.A. hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Buda Texas
Is the moisture getting to the protein? May be causing it to rot. If so the deer won't touch it. So are the deer staying away allowing the feed to rot, or do you think the rain caused the protein to rot, and that's keeping the deer away? Is your protein clumped together?

Edited by S.A. hunter (10/27/17 08:11 AM)

#6935601 - 10/27/17 08:11 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
they will come, drill some holes n the feed for the water to drain out

#6935715 - 10/27/17 09:31 AM Re: Unusual issue with timed-protein feeder and pen [Re: CharlieCTx]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
That's my big gripe with timed trough feeders, rain and moisture. I've cleaned the troughs on Lamcos more times than I'd like to remember. I use one ton free-choice protein feeders these days. One thing you can try that will help to cut down on lost and soured feed. Put a Rainbird on it. The little white deals sprinkler guys use to cut off your sprinklers when it rains. I had some success with those when I was using Lamcos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide