Print Thread
Food Plots and Bucks #6933602 10/25/17 09:38 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I go to school in Arkansas and hunt public land that's an hour away so it's very hard to scout with school. The state has planted oats in multiple food plots around the WMA and I hunt out of a tree stand. So my question is, how do you hunt a food plot? Do you get the wind blowing into the field or do you want it at your face? I can't seem to find any trails whenever I go and it seems like the deer just appear out of no where. That leads me to my second question. Where the heck are the bucks? I've seen nothing but doe out there so far with zero sign of bucks. Surprisingly, the WMA I hunt does not have a lot of pressure. I've only seen 2 hunters out there in the past 2 weekends. Will the bucks start to emerge close to the rut or are they going to steer clear away from the food plots all season? This is all completely new to me and I can't seem to figure it out. A cold front is suppose to move in on Friday sending the temperatures below freezing, so hopefully the deer will be moving when I get out there! Thanks for the help on this one!

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Food Plots and Bucks [Re: B Razorback] #6933623 10/25/17 09:53 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My experience has always been that deer will walk into a food plot using just two or three trails that can be traced back to bedding areas. Sure, one may occasionally pop out from some other spot, but for the most part, you'll soon learn where they prefer to enter the plot.

No question, if the rut is on and you have doe coming into your plot, they may very well drag a buck with them. Heck, they may even drag one across the area behind your parked truck. Where that hot doe goes, they go. Thy eat very little during the chase phase of the rut because they only have one thing on their mind.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide