Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice #6933441 10/25/17 07:53 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Howdy!

I am starting to get more into hunting, and interest is growing for reloading as well. Mainly so I can reload .224 Wtby Magnum and later my brother's 6x47 (may be wrong on that). They are our deer rifles handed down from our grandpa who was a gunsmith and a gun snob (and I don't intend that in a bad way either). The only factory option I've found are from Weatherby @ $72 a box and my brother has to have custom made handloads. He's down to 4 rounds and not enthusiastic about finding someone to get him setup with fresh loads. We do have the dies and load info my grandpa used.

Anyway, I plan to start with a reloading manual and plan to read it front to back before doing anything else. Any suggestions there, and why? I was thinking the Hornady manual as I'm interested in some of their bullet offerings, but not sure if that matters.

From there I assume I'll get an entry level press/kit. Haven't looked much yet, but have seen the Lee ($180), Hornady ($350), and RCBS ($380) kits. Are any of these recommended or not and why?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6933458 10/25/17 08:05 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
RCBS Rock Chucker Kit can be had for much less than $380. I think Natchez had it for $250 awhile back, and with a $50 rebate from RCBS on top of that.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6933599 10/25/17 09:37 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Hank, how many rounds per year do you think you'll load? If you just want enough ammo to support a hunting habit, there are ways of doing it waaaaay cheap. If you want to take up handloading as a hobby in itself, there are ways to spend thousands. Be careful what you let these guys talk you into buying. If you asked for advice on a car to get back and forth to the grocery store they'd have you in a $150,000 BMW. I'm afraid that's just what we do.
stir

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6933604 10/25/17 09:41 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Reloading doesn't save you any money, but you do get more ammo for the money spent and better availability for uncommon cartridges. As suggested above, one of the kits is the easiest way to start.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6933784 10/26/17 12:00 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Look at the stickies at the top of this section.

A couple were started to cover all of the basics and intro to starting.

The threads contain lots of very helpful information gathered into one place.

Remember - safety is always paramount. Never cut corners, skip steps, or get in a hurry that might compromise safety.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6933910 10/26/17 01:21 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you tube

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: Buzzsaw] #6933919 10/26/17 01:26 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
you tube

Great source for reloading instruction.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6934304 10/26/17 01:21 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not looking to load thousands of rounds a year or anything (at least not yet) or save a bunch of money and realize just about any hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be or can afford. For now, I can't afford much.

To start, I'm mainly looking to load the 224 Wtby and my brothers wildcat round. His only choice is to handload and he isn't interested in the time and work involved and I don't want to be stuck with the one factory option available for the 224.

I also have a .270 and plan to expand my collection in the years to come and would like to be able to develop custom loads for the guns I own and their intended application.

So...
Can anyone recommend a reloading manual as a starting point? I've seen the Hornady and several others, but not sure how they vary in content. Do they cover most bullets/manufacturers or do they only cover their bullets/products? Is any manual better or more inclusive than the others?

Regarding Lee, Hornady, and RCBS entry level kits, which would you recommend and why? Or are there others I'm not aware of that may be as good or better based on price/quality?

Thanks again, i've been reading through the stickies and old posts, but at times that can be cumbersome when old links and pics no longer work and old info becomes outdated (like maybe a brand use to produce high quality but now junk). I will definitely use YouTube, but not comfortable using it right out of the gate since it involves explosive materials, etc.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6934314 10/26/17 01:27 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: HankTheTank
Can anyone recommend a reloading manual as a starting point?

Buy the Hornady manual for all the Hornady bullets. Lyman has a good and complete manual of various bullet mfg. Use online sources like Hodgdon, Nosler and Alliant data. They are pretty good.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6934327 10/26/17 01:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Do you have certain bullets you want to use or like? I would buy that makers manual and keep it to one. Most all of the manuals have a bit about the process of reloading and I have found all the ones I have to be adequate enough.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6937258 10/29/17 12:35 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not looking to load thousands of rounds a year or anything (at least not yet) or save a bunch of money and realize just about any hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be or can afford. For now, I can't afford much.

To start, I'm mainly looking to load the 224 Wtby and my brothers wildcat round. His only choice is to handload and he isn't interested in the time and work involved and I don't want to be stuck with the one factory option available for the 224.

I also have a .270 and plan to expand my collection in the years to come and would like to be able to develop custom loads for the guns I own and their intended application.

So...
Can anyone recommend a reloading manual as a starting point? I've seen the Hornady and several others, but not sure how they vary in content. Do they cover most bullets/manufacturers or do they only cover their bullets/products? Is any manual better or more inclusive than the others?

Regarding Lee, Hornady, and RCBS entry level kits, which would you recommend and why? Or are there others I'm not aware of that may be as good or better based on price/quality?

Thanks again, i've been reading through the stickies and old posts, but at times that can be cumbersome when old links and pics no longer work and old info becomes outdated (like maybe a brand use to produce high quality but now junk). I will definitely use YouTube, but not comfortable using it right out of the gate since it involves explosive materials, etc.

The Lyman manual is what I started with. It was recommended by a lot of loaders because of the selection of bullets they use, and depth of explanation. It educates you on safety precautions, component sorting advice, and other variables. Each round they provide information for also has a neat history and application section. I have the 49th edition, but the 50th is out now and I've heard it's even better.

I can't ever see myself getting a manufacturer specific manual like Hornady, because I use several different brands of bullets. Finding uploads of the load data online has never been a problem for me if I couldn't find a particular bullet listed. Your powder company websites (like Hodgdon) have extensive data for all kinds of bullets.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6938504 10/30/17 01:48 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have been doing it for over 40 years and sometimes I feel that I have one year of experience 40 times. I have a manual collection but, like most, lots of things I like the Lee manual for. It assume that you want to get down to the lowest level instead of getting too technical. YouTube is OK but you need the manuals for data and loads.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6938636 10/30/17 02:56 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
The best two current manuals for all around info are Lyman and Nosler but that’s just an opinion.

I am definitely old school and own pretty much all manuals printed since the 1970’s. I get data from online as well as QuickLoad too but just like having the manuals to cross reference.

Definitely start with basics then if you enjoy the hobby it will take you where you let it on other equipment,some needed for faster production or more precision ...then some just to make life easier.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6939970 10/30/17 11:08 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
RCBS starter kit would be a simple place to start. Lyman is a good manual that a lot of us have. My recommendation is buy two manuals, to be able to compare two data sets. If there is a particular brand of bullet you are partial to get that manual. Data worked up with the Bullets I am loading gives me more specific data. The data in manuals never completely match each other and sometimes they differ substantially. For a new loader learning to read pressure signs, data worked up with the bullet you are loading is more pertinent.
A word of warning: many find reloading to be borderline addicting after figuring out they can reload much higher quality ammo than they can buy over the counter.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 10/30/17 11:13 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6941183 10/31/17 08:17 PM
H
HankTheTank Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks everyone, gonna look at getting the Lyman manual to start.

Smokey, thanks for the warning. I'm also a flyfisherman and know how these type things can become an addiction...a healthy addiction, usually. up

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6951416 11/08/17 03:50 PM
T
Texas2Guns Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
EVERYONE STOP TALKING

RCBS RockChucker Master kit - Press, scales, powder measure, books, and some trinkets.

Cabelas: on sale right now - $299 In store WITH a $100 rebate
Only 2 kits left in Ft. Worth.

You're welcome. laugh

Last edited by Texas2Guns; 11/08/17 03:55 PM.
Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6951420 11/08/17 03:51 PM
T
Texas2Guns Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T

Thanks everyone, gonna look at getting the Lyman manual to start.

Smokey, thanks for the warning. I'm also a flyfisherman and know how these type things can become an addiction...a healthy addiction, usually. up

I'm also a fly fisherman. We're something of a rare breed in this state. But we're getting a little more popular every day.

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6955669 11/11/17 06:18 PM
B
Busheler Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
The 'Chucker Master,is a great way to fly.

Norma 224 brass sucks,just like everything else they attempt and the 1-14" twist rate,really slams doors. I whoop mine out every so often(Japperby VM Blued/Walnut)...but that itty-bitty 6-lug action just BEGS to become a 1-8" 6BR.

Unfortunately,I do not Fish..............(grin)

Re: Looking to Start Reloading...Looking for Info/Advice [Re: HankTheTank] #6958762 11/13/17 10:06 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
confused2

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide