OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

You can't fix stupid
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929718 10/23/17 12:00 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Wow. 18,000 acres.

Tell those dummies at PETA & HSUS to mind their own business.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929720 10/23/17 12:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I miss the old GM there, she didn’t play with slanted reporting, author did a disservice to his peice quoting and organization that hasn’t spent 1 dollar on habitat or conservation in general

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929744 10/23/17 12:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It remains to be seen if national media outlets pick up the story and run with it. There's no question that Texas has become a unique place when it comes to hunting tactics.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929758 10/23/17 12:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
New York Times is national media.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929762 10/23/17 12:53 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Very impressive ranch. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6929765 10/23/17 12:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
New York Times is national media.

Missed that. Now it's just a matter of sit and wait to see what happens next.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929771 10/23/17 01:00 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
They filmed an episode of "Naked and Afraid" on that ranch.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929790 10/23/17 01:22 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Who care what paper picks it up. What will happen is the more than run the article the better their business will be!
I want to go there and drive a tank and shoot a car!

Last edited by huntwest; 10/23/17 01:23 PM.
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929827 10/23/17 01:48 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Pretty amazing to me that leftists wish there were fewer of these animals. Without the hunting market, the herds on that ranch would not exist.

Last edited by ErnestTBass; 10/23/17 02:14 PM.
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929854 10/23/17 02:03 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The owner is 34. I’ve really been slacking.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: ErnestTBass] #6929857 10/23/17 02:04 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Pretty amazing to me that leftists which there were fewer of these animals. Without the hunting market, the herds on that ranch would not exist.

Exactly. The leftist hypocrisy is more than I can bear.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: ErnestTBass] #6929863 10/23/17 02:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Pretty amazing to me that leftists which there were fewer of these animals. Without the hunting market, the herds on that ranch would not exist.

It doesn't matter what we or the leftists think about what happens on this ranch. What matters most is what those in the middle who constitute the non-hunting majority think and feel about it.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Texas Dan] #6929881 10/23/17 02:17 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

It doesn't matter what we or the leftists think about what happens on this ranch. What matters most is what those in the middle who constitute the non-hunting majority think and feel about it.

I agree with that. But a main point to be made to those people is this: without the hunting market, those herds of animals (including any endangered ones) would not exist. The hunting market not only funds the conservation, but is the only reason someone would/could spend the money to cultivate those herds.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: ErnestTBass] #6929916 10/23/17 02:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I agree with that. But a main point to be made to those people is this: without the hunting market, those herds of animals (including any endangered ones) would not exist. The hunting market not only funds the conservation, but is the only reason someone would/could spend the money to cultivate those herds.

Studies have shown the non-hunting majority have always looked favorably on hunting. However, my gut feeling is that their opinions are based on the traditional challenges of free chase methods. I'm not sure this will hold true once more people become aware that free chase has been often replaced with wait for something to show up and eat once a feeder goes off.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Texas Dan] #6929941 10/23/17 03:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Studies have shown the non-hunting majority have always looked favorably on hunting. However, my gut feeling is that their opinions are based on the traditional challenges of free chase methods. I'm not sure this will hold true once more people become aware that free chase has been often replaced with wait for something to show up and eat.

Studies do show hunting is looked favorable by the non-hunting public.
Studies shows that the grip and grin photo is bad, conservation truths and food to plate is good.

Method or methodology of method is actually on the low end of the scale, unless you are a fellow hunter that likes to berate and mock your hunting peers.

Tastefulness in how you tell the story goes a long ways. Josh bowmar would of had a completely different response had he taken the time and did his spear bear kill in a more tasteful journey and not mindless savage.

Ironically one of the studies out there found “population control” to be the worst agruement for hunting. Now if you add to it and explain hunting has legalities and regulations to support proper selected herd balance that insurer continued sustainably #’s for human consumption , they agruement starts to be viewed more favorable(even though the they same the same thing).... Key words/thoughts;. “Legal regulated” hunting leads to a “sustainable/ continued food source” for humans...

Studies show that time lapse videos of villagers on a elephant cracass leads most people to support elephant hunting, when the are told in conjunction, that elephant hunting is regulated to support sustainability and not a free for all.

No such thing as traditional free chase method it’s a farse.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6929980 10/23/17 03:56 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'Serves no good purpose to let the media, especially the NYT, on your place. Owners let their egos get ahead of common sense.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: tlk] #6930024 10/23/17 04:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Free range/fair chase vs. hunting confined animals is not a "method/methodology" debate.

If pens didn't exist, articles like this wouldn't be possible.

And saying fair chase is a farce i.e."There's no such thing as fair chase anyway, so everyone needs to just get OK with killing for killing's sake because they're all livestock anyway" is about the worst defense of hunting I've ever heard.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Creekrunner] #6930070 10/23/17 05:11 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
People have been hunting over bait for a long, long time. I don't think that's the real issue.

*If* these animals are basically penned-up livestock, that's a different issue.

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
'Serves no good purpose to let the media, especially the NYT, on your place. Owners let their egos get ahead of common sense.

I generally agree, but for this guy it may be good marketing.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6930072 10/23/17 05:13 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Studies shows that the grip and grin photo is bad, conservation truths and food to plate is good.

Method or methodology of method is actually on the low end of the scale, unless you are a fellow hunter that likes to berate and mock your hunting peers.

I find this stuff very interesting. Does anyone know where any of these studies (or summaries/reports on them) can be found?

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6930133 10/23/17 06:00 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Free range/fair chase vs. hunting confined animals is not a "method/methodology" debate.

And saying fair chase is a farce i.e."There's no such thing as fair chase anyway, so everyone needs to just get OK with killing for killing's sake because they're all livestock anyway" is about the worst defense of hunting I've ever heard.

I think it's a very accurate description.

What's fair about hunting with a high powered rifle with a scope on it?

Articles like this not possible? meh......highly doubt these articles would stop regardless of the type of fence. Comparing 18,000 acres to a pen is ignorant.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 10/23/17 06:48 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6930137 10/23/17 06:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I was stupid and decided to toggle this users post since I thought you might actually be able to contribute something meaning full.... i was wrong

Really. 90 perfect of those pics are of plains game. Rifle Hunting the American pronghorn antelope is so sporting?? Let’s not take into account that traditionally our forefathers killed meat to live... I’m sure they where all about “fair chase” or “free chase” making sure they and their kids ate.

We have pages of regulations and tag lotteries because killing animals is so hard.

If HF private land wasn’t fenced we wouldn’t have animals like that to write about and agrue about

End of the day showing it went in your tummy and was completely utilized trumps you meathod mindset. A dead animal is a dead animal, key is full utilization

People are very aware of high power scoped rifle’s capabilities,

we need to do a better job presenting more then just a mount, and grip and grin photo.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: ErnestTBass] #6930142 10/23/17 06:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I find this stuff very interesting. Does anyone know where any of these studies (or summaries/reports on them) can be found?

Yes I can send some to you, I will have to do some digging, Lots of content

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: Creekrunner] #6930146 10/23/17 06:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

They actually did a really good article on Jason Harrison(kuiu) sheep tag. I’m not sure how much he is paying his new media/digital firm but they are very very very good.

Re: Austin paper this morning [Re: ErnestTBass] #6930303 10/23/17 08:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

My earlier comments are based on information that appears in a TPWD video that was given to me for use in teaching the Hunter Education course. It's the same video that speaks strongly on how hunters should take into account the attitudes of the non-hunting majority by being careful with photos taken and shared with others, and how hunters present themselves in public. Of course, some have scoffed at such sentiments as well. I will see if it's one of those the department makes available on YouTube.

It also stated that studies have shown the majority of kids today do not look favorably on hunting. Obviously, that's not a good thing.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide