Page 1 of 2 1 2
question about scent control while bow hunting #6929389 10/23/17 01:36 AM
L
longgunner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
We just started bow hunting, and my boy already bagged a hog and a turkey. We are hunting a ground blind about 15 yards from the feeder.

Question: What is better at concealing scent: A ground blind or elevation with a tree stand that has no real cover around it.....

any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929413 10/23/17 01:46 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Whichever is down wind of the feeder.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929414 10/23/17 01:46 AM
21xsElite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I sat in my ground blind several times over the last week and drank a beer and fired up a smoke and they never lifting their head.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929430 10/23/17 01:51 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Concealing your scent from a deer is not possible in either blind. You leave spore behind every time you enter and exit your blinds. With that in mind, be smart about how you get to your blind. Resist the temptation to go check the feeder before your hunt. Stay out of your kill zones and the paths you expect to see deer. A deer may pick up your scent but that doesn't always mean he will blow out of the field. He will go on high alert. If he gets a second confirmation,sight or sound GOODBY.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929435 10/23/17 01:53 AM
T
Trophytaker3 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I like to use the [i][/i]Dead Down Wind scent cover, works really good.

In this order....
Faith, Family, Hunting.

http://atvutvcustomizer.com/
Pacific Eagle UTV enclosures. Kawasaki, Honda , Polaris, Kymco, and many more!

Trump, Make America Great Again!
Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: Trophytaker3] #6929461 10/23/17 02:04 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Normal scent control measures and get yourself some Nose Jammer spray.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929551 10/23/17 03:07 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Saturday, I had work that needed doing at the ranch and worked up a little sweat without time to clean up before the afternoon hunt. I hunt out a box blind which helps contain scent better than a pop up ground blind, but I also use an ozonics machine. I had several deer approach or leave directly downwind of me during my Saturday evening hunt and while a couple paused as if they caught a scent, none of them alerted, stomped or blew and soon calmed down and went about their business. I don't suggest just getting an ozonics machine. I typically do comprehensive scent control and ozonics is just one component. I was just pleased that tne ozonics seemed to work in my situation.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: Texas buckeye] #6929761 10/23/17 12:53 PM
J
JH117 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Whichever is down wind of the feeder.

^^^^^This right here^^^^

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929797 10/23/17 01:29 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
There is no such thing as scent control. You can't but anything that will eliminate your scent to the point of a deer not recognizing it. To that point, you go back to the time when man first hunted animal with stone ax and never took a shower and you always use the wind to your advantage, whether elevated or on the ground so either works from a scent perspective as long as your down wind. Unlike early man though, I do suggest you cook your meat.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929807 10/23/17 01:36 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I did a little trick this season that seams to have worked really well. I cut a 3 foot section of old telephone pole that was soaked in creosote. Smelled like crap. I put it by my feeder a week before bow season. The hogs rolled it around a bunch and spread the scent all over. Two days before I started to bow hunt I rolled it over and put it on the prevailing downwind side of my popup. It may not make my scent go away but it smells like oil and hogs really bad by my blind, both of which the deer are now used to. I have had plenty of deer walk within five yards of my blind with me in it since placing it there. There may be easier ways to control scent but I had the pole laying in the yard so it was a quick job.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6929841 10/23/17 01:54 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I've used this method for years and it has worked for me more times than not.
If you have cattle on the ranch step in their fresh crap on your way to you're stand. This will help cover your tracks.
If you have cedar tree's on the ranch cut off some fresh branches and wipe them on your clothes and boots. Take some extra with you to the stand and crumble the leafs every so often.
This will keep fresh cedar smell around you while you hunt. Most of all hunt the wind up

[Linked Image]
Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6930048 10/23/17 04:54 PM
S
spro Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Im a believer in Ozonics. Here is a video of a hunt my son and I did last week. We both got in the tree stand after working up a sweat doing lease work. Wind was blowing directly at the feeder. Normally would not do this but my son really wanted to hunt and I wanted to test out my new Ozonics. Deer came in from directly down wind and never smelled us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbIS8v85lB4

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6930086 10/23/17 05:25 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6930237 10/23/17 07:40 PM
D
D'hanis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I think everyone has made the wind point. So I'll say in my experience, it seems like a ground blind does a little better job of controlling your scent from being dispersed as much. Just my opinion though

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: txshntr] #6930241 10/23/17 07:43 PM
D
D'hanis Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Great read, thanks for sharing. I've been on the fence about ozonics for a long time

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: tShawnB] #6930259 10/23/17 08:00 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
There is no such thing as scent control. You can't but anything that will eliminate your scent to the point of a deer not recognizing it. To that point, you go back to the time when man first hunted animal with stone ax and never took a shower and you always use the wind to your advantage, whether elevated or on the ground so either works from a scent perspective as long as your down wind. Unlike early man though, I do suggest you cook your meat.

Amen. Just another way to separate a man from his money.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6930261 10/23/17 08:01 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It doesn't hurt to try and get rid of scent, or at least minimize it as much as possible, but your greatest and most dependable scent eliminator is going to be your hunting setup taking into consideration wind direction.
Worst case scenario is always going to be a swirling wind caused by straight winds bouncing off tree lines, hills, or having a stand set up in heavy cover where the winds are disrupted by trees.
Pop up blinds help contain scent, and getting up off the ground high enough to be near the tops of the trees helps also.
Putting blinds in a bottom between two hills isn't good evening when winds have laid because your scent will settle in that bottom also. Morning the air rises.
I don't use scents other than doe in heat during the rut and depend on my experiences trying to get the wind to work in my favor.
I'm not saying cover scents are bad, but you can't depend on them 100% at any time, and you have to always depend on the wind direction.
I laugh when I see those guys on TV roll around in a how wallow trying to smell like a pig.
You would have to be near starving to have to go that route.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/23/17 08:12 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: D'hanis] #6930266 10/23/17 08:04 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: D'hanis

Great read, thanks for sharing. I've been on the fence about ozonics for a long time

IMO, the only problem with that test is that the guy and ozonics is hemmed up in a very confined area in which the ozonics can be pretty effective. When you are in a stand with Ozonics or whatever scent control, you are not in a confined area and the ozonics cannot possibly displace your scent over such a large hunting area.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: longgunner] #6930296 10/23/17 08:35 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
WIND DIRECTION! and I always use Scent Killer, spray and soap, unscented deodorant, store hunting clothes in a sealed plastic leaf bag. There are several opinions out there regarding the effectiveness of scent elimination products. My opinion is that they work to a certain extent. I have tested the theory several times over 30 or so years.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: Jgraider] #6930365 10/23/17 09:21 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Originally Posted By: D'hanis

IMO, the only problem with that test is that the guy and ozonics is hemmed up in a very confined area in which the ozonics can be pretty effective. When you are in a stand with Ozonics or whatever scent control, you are not in a confined area and the ozonics cannot possibly displace your scent over such a large hunting area.

Another thing to consider is the sense of smell of a dog and that of a deer. Deer have a stronger sense and it is their main sense used to survive versus do a job that a human told them too.

Quote:
Deer have seven glands that are used primarily for scent communication. The nose of a whitetail deer has up to 297 million olfactory receptors, dogs have 220 million with humans limiting out with just five million.

Ozonics works in theory but guys at our place use it and still get busted. It might give you a few extra seconds, but it is not a cure all to fool a deer and I always worry more about the new hunter that thinks it is.

I have been in the stand and had the wind shift and the deer not run. I have been in the stand and had a deer circle my stand with the obvious intent of checking for danger and not run. And I don't do anything to control scent. It is best to always hunt the wind, but it doesn't hurt to do your best to keep it at a minimum. Just my 2cents

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: txshntr] #6930370 10/23/17 09:27 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C

Had a mature buck circle behind me ten yards the other day with my Ozonics running and he never knew I was there. To often deer will find a way to come in from down wind to a feeder. So unless there is no way possible that a deer can get down wind of you, hunting the wind only works most of the time.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: ChrisB] #6930372 10/23/17 09:28 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

Had a mature buck circle behind me ten yards the other day with my Ozonics running and he never knew I was there. To often deer will find a way to come in from down wind to a feeder. So unless there is no way possible that a deer can get down wind of you, hunting the wind only works most of the time.

Had one circle me Saturday evening and didn't bust me either...I don't use Ozonics.

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: txshntr] #6930381 10/23/17 09:32 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C

Had one circle me Saturday evening and didn't bust me either...I don't use Ozonics.

Guess you smell less intimidating than the rest of us. hammer

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: ChrisB] #6930392 10/23/17 09:38 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Yep, that must be it...and Ozonics must be the greatest product ever made and will make the wind irrelevant for all hunters cheers

Re: question about scent control while bow hunting [Re: txshntr] #6930401 10/23/17 09:44 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C

Yep, that must be it...and Ozonics must be the greatest product ever made and will make the wind irrelevant for all hunters cheers

Just messing. I do think the Ozonics helps in certain situations. Definitely not perfect though. If I told you it worked 50% of the time would you say it's worth it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide