Print Thread
I am new to the leasing world.. #6922663 10/16/17 09:09 PM
O
Oboe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
I am from North Carolina, skipped last years season due to lack of understanding and I am pretty much the same way this year. I know its ultra late and most places are leased out. I figured while this is on my mind, I might as well start asking questions.

Im a little north of McKinney, but have no problem traveling just about anywhere. From what I have read, some leases are year round, others are for a select amount of days. Some have kill fees, some do not. Whether it be deer, boar, etc.

That being said, I should probably get my stuff together now, learn and look into places.

I would appreciate any and all advice as I truly don't know much regarding this subject.

Thank you all.

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6922723 10/16/17 10:05 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
first off, welcome aboard welcome

yep, pretty late to get on a lease unless someone has some form of emergency and has to bail out last minute ... but you might get lucky.

You might search thru the public land section LINK and look into the TPWD LINK

budget will be the next question, as prices for lease can vary quite widely depending on whether a meat lease versus a trophy lease, low fence/high fence, and amenities (house, water, electric, hookups, stands/feeders provided & maintained, number of hunters, etc. etc. etc.)

you might also look down under LAND & LEASES or even go with a reputable guide/outfitter from the OUTFITTERS & GUIDES area for a shorter term 1-5 day type hunt where they usually have everything in place or close to it, where you just show up with hunting gear and hunt.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6922732 10/16/17 10:15 PM
O
Oboe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
Thank you,typically I am on the fishing section here. I am the kind of guy where I just want to responsibly fill my freezer. I thoroughly enjoy venison, and thats my end goal. I would assume outfitters would be the way to go then. Realistically I dont need a lease this year, just want my meat.

Also in regards to boar, seems like most leases just want you to kill them. My curiosity would be, should i just be approaching farms or something of that sort? I'd assume they have a management permit for them.

I hunt with a rifle, don't need a trophy as I have my share of those.

I'll check those sections out, i'll take all the input I can get.

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6923439 10/17/17 02:20 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
no type of permit needed by landowner for hog hunting that I'm aware of ... might be worth a try, knocking on doors to see ... all they could do is tell you no.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6923521 10/17/17 03:12 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I may have a spot available in Eastland County, probably 2:30 hr from McKinney
I will know for sure end of next week

have deer, bobcats, grey foxes, coyotes, ducks, doves, have seen badger, aoudad & mountain lion (very rare)

but I have lots of hogs, If you're looking for trophy deer , this is not the place

cabin available to share , sleep on cot
water from drum, no electric

600 acres
$1700

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6923831 10/17/17 07:31 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
In what part of the state do you live, and how far are you willing to travel to hunt? I have found more than one lease opening and can give you some contact info depending on your responses.

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: kdkane1971] #6923882 10/17/17 08:12 PM
O
Oboe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
I live about 15 mins north of mckinney. I regularly drive to south padre, so.. driving is not an issue.

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6924207 10/18/17 01:12 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
I am assuming, by what you didn't state, is that you are not new to hunting just new to figuring out the leasing procedure in Texas. I am not sure what your hunting situation was in North Carolina because I know there are hunting clubs there- I go up there annually to visit family and hunt. The amount of money you are willing to spend will pretty much determine where you end up getting on a lease. South Texas is more geared towards trophy hunting, both low and high fence, so you will pay much more there. The hill country can get a little pricey also but there are generally opportunities to get on a lease with exotics, which can be hunted year round so you pay for that privilege. There are many leases that are managing for trophy bucks so there will be requirements on feeding protein certain times with much more stringent rules. Many leases will have amenities such as water and electricity for trailer hook-ups, cabin to stay in, etc. so there will be charges for that. East Texas can be the most affordable but it is harder hunting because of the thicker understory and has less amenities (generally) and many will say there are drawbacks such as poachers, night hunters, and thieves. I currently have three properties leased in east Texas and hunt a forth lease and in nine years have only had one instance of a feeder and a couple of ladder stands stolen but that happened when a pipeline was being put in and access into the lease was opened up during that time. So, go to the TP&W website and learn about the different parts of the state, determine what your budget will be, and then keep your eyes and ears open for what comes up. The spring time is generally when things start opening up. Check the land and lease section on here. Also, the classified section on www.Texasbowhunter.com will have lease openings start to pop up generally starting in March and April.

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6924537 10/18/17 01:06 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
PM sent Oboe

Re: I am new to the leasing world.. [Re: Oboe] #6924987 10/18/17 07:35 PM
O
Oboe Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
O
Very informative Russ, thank you.

I am used to hunting in very wooded areas, so east Texas shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

I'm not a doctor, lawyer, etc.. so I am not looking to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to hunt a feeder, I might as well just buy someone's deer at that point. I am mainly in it for meat, rather than trophy anything. I enjoy venison over beef.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide