Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6919407 10/13/17 07:16 PM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
you could start with the borax blend, pretty much kills everything, just keep your pets away

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: spankyttx] #6919723 10/14/17 12:18 AM
N
n_rut Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Golden Malrin, a very effective fly bait works wonders on mice & rats and coons. For the small critters, mix the bait with grape soda or peanut butter. Any mouse or rat that eats this is GRAVEYARD DEAD in 24 hours or less. I will warn you when using it for coons, you will have casualties of war if left were deer, pets, etc. can get to it. For coons, I mix a batch of bait with PB and put in a small metal can, such as a canned veggie can which I then screw to a tree near a feeder @ 6' above the ground. They will search it out due to the aroma. Works like a CHAMP if you have coon problems terrorizing your feeders. I enjoy trapping them with dog proof traps baited with mini marshmallows as well. As for the mice and rats, put it out in problem areas free choice in a confined space such as cabin or trailer. REMEMBER, keep your pets away when using this method.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6919966 10/14/17 05:49 AM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Bull_Rope
I built a pier & beam hunting cabin onmy place, south of childress a few years back. I went with hardy board siding and put in corrugated metal sheet as a "skirting" for the place. I have a rat problem and a big one at that. There are 3 or four holes dug around the cabin and rat scat (say that 5 times fast) everywhere. I pulled some of the skirting of the cabin away, yesterday to see how big of an issue I have and was met with the overwhelming odor of rodent urine and reptile. I basically have a hunting cabing sitting on top of a 16×20 rat nest.

The rats are a big enough problem. However,as the circle of life goes, with them we also have a BAD rattlesnake problem at the cabin. I have killed 5 rattlers in the last 3 weeks right at the se dug out rat
entrances.

I have put big rocks in the dug out entrances, thrown packages of moth balls, put out poison but they still keep coming and digging and dragging half of the pasture under there for nesting. I'm out of ideas to get thos stopped. Anybody have any other rat stop-all ideas?

While I am by no means laughing at your problem. They way you told the story was spectacular! Very funny indeed and told so well. I don’t have any suggestions but it looks like several guys on here so. Good luck!

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6919989 10/14/17 09:00 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Your snake problem will go away with the rat poisoning. As they eat the rats, they will die also. You have a problem that will need continual monitoring, because if you stop the poisoning, they will be back.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6920020 10/14/17 11:44 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
C 2 on the golden malrin

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6920031 10/14/17 12:08 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: Sidebuster
I would try a big bowl of antifreeze under the house.

it now has a bittering agent....thankfully.

I tried anitfreeze, didn't work, nothing would drink it.
We had rats so I put out a pan of it. I left if for a week after I saw that the cats wouldn't touch it.
We watched as skunks, possums, and raccoons would come up on the porch to mooch cat food, nothing would drink it. It set there for another week when we we brought our dog out. I panicked when I remember the antifreeze and I ran to the porch. He stood there looking at the bowl, turned his nose up and walked away. We still had the same rat problem.
I even tried tried the hotdogs soaked in antifreeze for some feral dogs that were chasing deer. I left that out for a few weeks and the critters wouldn't even eat them.
Maybe some have had luck with antifreeze, not me.
The TomCat poison took care of the rat problem.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Stub] #6920185 10/14/17 03:14 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Stub
[quote=dogcatcher]Finally found my info, get some Tomcat Rat Poison. Follow the instructions, you might even search THF for info about it, I am pretty sure I heard about it on THF.

Make sure you get it with the Bromethalin. I have heard of a liquid poison that is suppose to be more potent, do not remember what it is?

[/quote this, must have the Bromethalin, keep water out

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6920197 10/14/17 03:28 PM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
This is why I have not put any skirting on our Dumont cabin as of yet...Floor and plumbing is well insulated but waiting to see how these cold winter north winds affect all...see my cabin on pics. have not had a snake or rat problem as of yet but always a few field mice...waiting on the wasp invasion and see how it holds up...good luck...If it don't stic-cut sting or bit
.your not in west texas......

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6920342 10/14/17 06:08 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Actually, you're in west Texas when you see your first Allsup's.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6921698 10/16/17 01:47 AM
H
HLo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I use bait boxes to put that Rat Poison in. Works great and keeps the pets and other non-target animals away from eating the poison. You see them around commercial buildings, etc.

My brother uses the liquid stuff and likes it as well.

HLo
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6921816 10/16/17 03:27 AM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
TomCat LIQUID poison is the way to go. The little blocks mentioned above are pretty worthless, I've found them stashed away before but not eaten. Order some of the liquid stuff and put it in little chick waterers from the feed store!

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6921842 10/16/17 04:11 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Last summer with all the rain caused a huge rat problem in our hunting cabin the likes of we had never seen before and a rattlesnake problem under it. Because I have the dog, I made it my responsibility to do all poisoning on the lease so I know what is out where and when. The problem with the warfarin based baits was that it takes more than one feeding to kill rats. We were not going to be there to keep putting it out. What it took to knock the rat population out was a block poison called Fastrac. It is a purple block. It only takes a single feeding to kill them, but still takes a day or two so they in theory have a chance to leave the site, but the whole area stunk to high heaven after. This one causes the rats to stop eating. It worked better than expected and I noticed because it stops them from eating and kills them faster, that less poison was needed than the old green blocks. Note this one has no antidote. Do not use it if there is the slightest chance of a hunting dog getting to it. I do not use at the hunting camp during season while my dog is with me. I don't know if the snakes were poisoned eating poisoned rats or if they left because the rats were gone, but the snakes have not been seen or hear from again since last summer.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Sniper John] #6922412 10/16/17 05:46 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Last summer with all the rain caused a huge rat problem in our hunting cabin the likes of we had never seen before and a rattlesnake problem under it. Because I have the dog, I made it my responsibility to do all poisoning on the lease so I know what is out where and when. The problem with the warfarin based baits was that it takes more than one feeding to kill rats. We were not going to be there to keep putting it out. What it took to knock the rat population out was a block poison called Fastrac. It is a purple block. It only takes a single feeding to kill them, but still takes a day or two so they in theory have a chance to leave the site, but the whole area stunk to high heaven after. This one causes the rats to stop eating. It worked better than expected and I noticed because it stops them from eating and kills them faster, that less poison was needed than the old green blocks. Note this one has no antidote. Do not use it if there is the slightest chance of a hunting dog getting to it. I do not use at the hunting camp during season while my dog is with me. I don't know if the snakes were poisoned eating poisoned rats or if they left because the rats were gone, but the snakes have not been seen or hear from again since last summer.

I use the purple Fastrac and no problem thus far for a year.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: CRAnderson52] #6922420 10/16/17 05:52 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
TomCat LIQUID poison is the way to go. The little blocks mentioned above are pretty worthless, I've found them stashed away before but not eaten. Order some of the liquid stuff and put it in little chick waterers from the feed store!
Use bait boxes so they can't carry them away.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6922435 10/16/17 06:03 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I had a crawfish boil out at my place one time and sprinkled the left over Slap Ya Mama spice everywhere I saw mouse sign and then around the trailer wherever it made contact with the ground. I haven't seen a mouse since. Knock on wood..

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Stub] #6922615 10/16/17 08:09 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Finally found my info, get some Tomcat Rat Poison. Follow the instructions, you might even search THF for info about it, I am pretty sure I heard about it on THF.

Make sure you get it with the Bromethalin. I have heard of a liquid poison that is suppose to be more potent, do not remember what it is?

Well this post now comes with a disclaimer, the Tomcat I bragged about above did not work worth a darn on Pack Rats, they/it were eating it like candy hauling it off to its nest so I had to take strong old time measures on this one laugh

texas flag

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: 68rustbucket] #6922636 10/16/17 08:32 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Pull off the skirting
...THIS WORKS.... We pulled off all the skirting on out cabins...No more mice ..rats or snakes....All of them hate open air....

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6922701 10/16/17 09:51 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
The blocks work. You can buy them by the bucket load for relatively cheap. They worked at my place. They do sell them with different chemicals. They will dry out after about a year so you have to put more out every 6 to 12 months. Use them liberally.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: 68rustbucket] #6923413 10/17/17 01:58 PM
H
HuskerB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
Get some "one bite" bars.

This. Small farm behind me sold out and they started building houses. Rats moved in. I tried several other poisons unsuccessfully, but this is what killed em. I purchased from Gebos.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6923633 10/17/17 04:41 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Someone should start a “trophy rat” thread for the biggest rat killed.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6923640 10/17/17 04:46 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

My dachshund killed this one that got into my trailer through a panel that had been left open.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6923837 10/17/17 07:35 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Take off the sheet metal.

D-Con Just One Bite.

Barn cats. Get them spayed or neutered, first. Unless you like the 'aroma' of Tomcat everywhere.

Problem solved.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6924484 10/18/17 12:30 PM
D
DEERSTRANGLER Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Stuff fine steel wool around any pipes or places they’re getting in the cabin. Get sulfur pellets at your feed store and douse the area around and under cabin. Peppermint oil also runs them off. We tried the poison and killing method at our place. We finally just had to make it inhospitable for them.

We also sprayed dead and mowed all vegetation around camp for a good ways.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: Bull_Rope] #6938827 10/30/17 05:10 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Last season I had a rat issue at our hunting cabin. It is a metal building, that was made out of reclaimed material. There are holes and cracks everywhere. Sealing it is not an option. I bought some "Tomcat" pellets from Amazon, they were a reasonable price for a 10 pound pail. It took me about 3 weeks, but the pellets did work. Now it is time to do it again. I also bought some rat traps that did not work, because the ants kept eating the bait.

Re: Hunting cabin rat infestation [Re: postoak] #6940617 10/31/17 02:09 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: postoak
Bring in more rattlesnakes.

cheerleader WINNER cheerleader

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide