Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunting in the wild #6917270 10/12/17 12:05 AM
B
Brian C. Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
When you go to your chosen patch of dirt do you feel like you are in the wilderness? Does being outdoors give you the feeling of being in a place where you are the only person in existence?

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917296 10/12/17 12:35 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I've been on a 10K acre piece of land by myself in a severe thunderstorm with no cell service and about 40 min from the closest small town. I got closer to God that night roflmao

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917311 10/12/17 12:49 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I guess, the deepest wilderness I've had the pleasure of being in the middle of was a canoe trip in the Quetico Provencial Park in Ontario. We paddled around there out of Atikokan for about two weeks before we saw another person. We never even saw an airplane until we crossed over to the U.S. side into the Boundary Waters. There were fish that had never seen a boat or a lure.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917349 10/12/17 01:16 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Brian C.
When you go to your chosen patch of dirt do you feel like you are in the wilderness? Does being outdoors give you the feeling of being in a place where you are the only person in existence?

No but a high altitude lighting storm will though.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917387 10/12/17 01:37 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
About 30 years ago three of us spent a bit over a week out on a huge West Texas ranch. We had ample supplies, there were no facilities, and no cell phones then. We hunted any meat that we ate. About the only clue there were other humans was the occasional airplane trail in the sky.
When we returned to town it was actually quite strange being around other people, almost creepy. One guy even said "there are people here!"
We got really disconnected really quick. I would think being completely alone for that kind of experience would be interesting.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917393 10/12/17 01:42 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I've spent 4 days in the hills north of Leakey by myself. Never saw or heard any sign of human activity. No phone service. Don't think I'd do that today. Not alone.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Simple Searcher] #6917520 10/12/17 03:30 AM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
About 30 years ago three of us spent a bit over a week out on a huge West Texas ranch. We had ample supplies, there were no facilities, and no cell phones then. We hunted any meat that we ate. About the only clue there were other humans was the occasional airplane trail in the sky.
When we returned to town it was actually quite strange being around other people, almost creepy. One guy even said "there are (Other) people here!"
We got really disconnected really quick. I would think being completely alone for that kind of experience would be interesting.

FIFY LOL

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Palehorse] #6917581 10/12/17 05:54 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I guess, the deepest wilderness I've had the pleasure of being in the middle of was a canoe trip in the Quetico Provencial Park in Ontario. We paddled around there out of Atikokan for about two weeks before we saw another person. We never even saw an airplane until we crossed over to the U.S. side into the Boundary Waters. There were fish that had never seen a boat or a lure.

I did that trip. Was one of the best trips I have taken. Saw more bears and moose than people.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917593 10/12/17 09:01 AM
H
Hunter307 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Yep, because it's like 4 miles from the trailhead.....in a wilderness area. Well for archery elk at least.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917631 10/12/17 11:31 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Unfortunately I have never been in a place so vast by myself or with others that I felt that way (Does being outdoors give you the feeling of being in a place where you are the only person in existence?). I have been on big ranches in west Texas but there was a foreman house close and neighbors not that far away so I never felt like I was in deep chit, but then again I enjoy the wilderness.

texas flag

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917656 10/12/17 11:59 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Hunt the thickets in notheast and east Texas, dosen't matter how many acres you have, you feel alone very quick.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: GLC] #6917844 10/12/17 02:16 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: GLC
Hunt the thickets in notheast and east Texas, dosen't matter how many acres you have, you feel alone very quick.

yep

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: GLC] #6917856 10/12/17 02:21 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: GLC

You're right. Many times, sitting way up in a tree in the fall, and the leaves blowing around you feel that way. Most of the critters have no idea that you're there and the woods come alive. Awesome experience.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6917894 10/12/17 02:51 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Or sitting in a tent on the continental divide for 2 days in a blizzard.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917901 10/12/17 03:00 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I used to camp a lot on my land alone when I'd hunt. There were several houses within a mile or so, but it was pretty thick woods in patches, so it felt like no one else was around. I was much more afraid of people walking up on me at night (poachers) than I ever was about animals. But I definitely felt very much alone. One night I had a coyote go off about 20 feet outside my tent. That'll wake you up in a hurry. He was going crazy until I unzipped my tent and shined my flashlight in his eyes. Got an instant "Oh god, it's a human" look on his face, tail tucked between his legs, ears flattened and he slunk down and crawled back towards the brush for a few seconds before breaking into an outright run.

A whole lotta stuff happens with those animals in the woods when people aren't around. That's part of the beauty of being out there when they don't know you're there.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: TexasKC] #6917942 10/12/17 03:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TexasKC

I upgraded to the kifaru tut for that very reason. I don't really get the alone part but I get pretty damn stir crazy in a little UL tent. Ironically first time I used my tut I was in Idaho 9 miles back and got hit with an 19 hour storm and over a ft of snow. Fun times

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917969 10/12/17 03:48 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Ive never been but my uncle told me the first time he went offshore out of site of any land or any landmark freaked him out. He said he was going from rig to rig and then finally got to where he couldn't see the last rig or the next anymore, the gps said it was there, but it was tuff to convince himself of it LOL.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917970 10/12/17 03:49 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Best week of my life when I was 15(almost 30 years ago) we had a real nice lease in San Saba county, my parents let me stay an entire week by myself (from Sunday afternoon to Friday night when they got back) No cell phone, no tv, had deer & quail meat, eggs, bacon, pancake stuff & beans to live on. Missed the biggest deer I have ever seen on the hoof that week too. I had my 3 wheeler for transportation and the landowner lived about a half mile from our cabin. Have not had the opportunity to be alone for that long since then but would in a heart beat. I plan to quail hunt alone a few times this season.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6917972 10/12/17 03:50 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TexasKC

I upgraded to the kifaru tut for that very reason. I don't really get the alone part but I get pretty damn stir crazy in a little UL tent. Ironically first time I used my tut I was in Idaho 9 miles back and got hit with an 19 hour storm and over a ft of snow. Fun times

We were 38 miles from pavement in northern New Mexico. Luckily it was the first real snow of the season so we made it out in about a half day. I'm too old for that stuff now but it's a good memory.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917989 10/12/17 04:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Old is a mind set, smile

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917998 10/12/17 04:15 PM
B
Bobcat4119 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Been lost a few times and yes, I felt very alone Lol!

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6917999 10/12/17 04:16 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
^^^^^ I hear you. My new motto is "I might give out but I'll never give up". LOL

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6918015 10/12/17 04:28 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I've hunted where the only folks in 10,000 square miles were other guides and hunters from the outfit. And none of them were anywhere near us.

Also felt the ground shake from lightning, experienced the overwhelming silence where a whisper seemed like yelling, seen animals I know hadn't seen a man, had grizzly a few steps away, worn myself out to the point I could hardly go, and much more. I have been blessed.

(Course, all of that may not really count since I was with a guide during some of those times.) bolt

Love my east Texas place for all the reasons mentioned above too. There are woods - and there are places without real woods. There is a difference.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6918091 10/12/17 05:45 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Several times. When on an elk hunt right after college in the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho on my own. Hiked in, set up camp and started hunting. Experienced an magnitude 7 earthquake. Saw elk but never got a shot at a legal animal.

In Wyoming. Though roads were all around, we had packed in about 4 miles from the end of the road. Nothing nearby. Got hit by a blizzard that dropped 18" of snow in one night. After that, everything was quiet and peaceful. Good time to thank the man above.

After one trip in New Mexico, we came back and everyone was talking about some little girl. We asked what they were talking about. Seemed some little girl fell down an abandoned oil well and got stuck. All sorts of national news was there with all of the volunteers working to get her out. The whole thing happened while we were out of touch with the rest of the world. That trip I could definitely relate to the earlier poster about feeling 'crowded' when we came back to town for the first time.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.] #6918168 10/12/17 07:00 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
ship was anchored off the coast of Okinawa, fog so thick you couldn't see 20', I was coxswain of the motor whale boat heading for the landing, first time hit it dead on, the second, I felt I should have been close, the fog lifted, I was off course about a mile heading out to open sea, have thought about that a few times, wondering how that would have worked out, almost 60 yrs ago, didn't have the gadgets they have today.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide