Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,148
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: RiverRider] #6917385 10/12/17 01:35 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I think that's pretty far off topic, NP, but there are several threads going right now where the topics are overlapping a bit so I can see how you went there.

I'd say the effects are well known. If this was not true, then ladder testing would be meaningless. Since it IS true, then sloppy ammunition has a chance to perform satisfactorily within certain range limits. But it is also known that sloppy (in terms of powder charge) ammunition will come up short if the range is sufficient to highlight its shortcomings.

Hope that makes sense...having a nice cool adult beverage at the moment and I can feel it.
nuts

Makes sense. Moral I guess is keep ranges reasonable with most factory ammo.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: RiverRider] #6917400 10/12/17 01:50 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I think that's pretty far off topic, NP, but there are several threads going right now where the topics are overlapping a bit so I can see how you went there.

I'd say the effects are well known. If this was not true, then ladder testing would be meaningless. Since it IS true, then sloppy ammunition has a chance to perform satisfactorily within certain range limits. But it is also known that sloppy (in terms of powder charge) ammunition will come up short if the range is sufficient to highlight its shortcomings.

Hope that makes sense...having a nice cool adult beverage at the moment and I can feel it.
nuts

Exactly.

Shooting 1" at 100 is easy.

Shooting 3" at 300, is not as easy.

Meaning what is inside the brass. Bullet depth, powder charge consistency, ect. ect

A poor charge consistency may look alright at 100 yards, and it'll rear its' ugly head at 300+.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: J.G.] #6917558 10/12/17 04:19 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Shooting 1" at 100 is easy.

Shooting 3" at 300, is not as easy.

If you don't mind, please reference the conditions under which this should be achievable. For example, on the bench in a sitting position with only a single, forearm rest and the arms and elbows free of support?

I ask because people here frequently share their shooting performance, but very seldom include the conditions under which their shots were made. I can shoot half-inch groups at 100 yards if you throw me a few sandbags. But ask me to use just a single rest with no body support and the groups begin to get larger.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Texas Dan] #6917630 10/12/17 11:30 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Taking the shooter out of the equation, inaccuracy means simply the bullet is not stabilized as well as it could be once it leaves the barrel. There are many reasons groups may "open up".

Ammo is one (variables within that variable - quality of powder used, powder weight consistency, seating depth/consistency, etc.).
Barrel is one (variables within that variable - proper rate of twist for bullet used, quality/consistency of barrel steel,rifling, etc., barrel thickness, etc.)
Stock and barrel "marriage" (bedding, free-floating, contact point issues, etc.)
Cleanliness issues (copper fouling, other buildup, etc.)

No doubt handloading allows for more precise (and thus consistent) ammo. And that is better for precision and/or long range shooting. For that matter better at any range since it is more accurate. But does that mean all factory ammo sucks/is inaccurate/shouldn't be used/everyone should be using handloads or they are risking their hunts? No. Certainly not at the hunting distances the vast majority of people shoot.

Factory ammo quality has improved by leaps and bounds over the past 20-30 years. Lots of serious, dedicated, and successful hunters rely on factory ammo. Sure, you usually have to play around and find what your rifle likes, but you have to do that handloading too.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Texas Dan] #6917677 10/12/17 12:16 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Since this is an ammunition discussion. I was assuming a perfectly stable rifle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Texas Dan] #6917707 10/12/17 12:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The reason for my post is that this is an ammo discussion.

My point is that there are a lot of variables involved in shooting 3" groups at 300 yards. Good ammo (no matter how sourced) is only one of many.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Texas Dan] #6917848 10/12/17 02:17 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Wind is always the biggest problem. Nobody masters the dope 100% of the time.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Texas Dan] #6917910 10/12/17 03:06 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I sure wish I had an $80 box of nosler custom ammo to tear down and weigh powder charges for myself.

7 grains is about double the spread from min to max on the recommended charges from loading manuals etc. Either the manuals have nothing to do with what is safe or that ammo could have killed or seriously injured somone.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Texas Dan] #6918693 10/13/17 02:27 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
So if I had to repeat and summarize the most common answers given....

Better brass
Tighter quality control on the amount of powder used
Higher quality powder
Better primers
Smaller production runs
Bullets made of higher cost materials with more machine work
Marketing costs and greater price margins for customers willing to pay more

Thanks guys. The discussion sometimes went over my head but was very thought provoking.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6918806 10/13/17 04:53 AM
Jon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If you don't handload, you've usually got to try a few different factory loads to find one your rifle likes (sub MOA or less). I have had rifles that like cheap, expensive, and anything in between. I have only owned one rifle that just flat wouldn't shoot anything I tried. Accuracy is a big confidence booster, not to mention we owe it to the animals we hunt to be proficient when we pull the trigger.

For LR or benchrest shooting I'm sure handloading is the only way to go.

This ^^^ is pretty much the way I look at it.

If you don't load, it's nice if you can find a decent shooting factory load that your rifle likes without having to go through several hundred $$ to get it narrowed down. One reason being all the leftover, sometimes high $ ammo that your gun won't shoot well.

But, for what we spend nowadays in order to hunt...at the end of the day, the cost of the ammunition is really a pretty small % of the total cost involved.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: Jon] #6919277 10/13/17 05:16 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Jon
But, for what we spend nowadays in order to hunt...at the end of the day, the cost of the ammunition is really a pretty small % of the total cost involved.

The sad fact is many folks, for one reason or another, just don't find enjoyment shooting their rifle.

Re: Why is a $40 box of bullets better than one that costs less than $20? [Re: JJH] #6921211 10/15/17 05:30 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: JJH
A Yugo will get you to the grocery store, just like a Lexus will smile

Yeah, but will the Yugo get you back home?

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide