6058294 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6917270 - 10/11/17 07:05 PM Hunting in the wild
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Location
When you go to your chosen patch of dirt do you feel like you are in the wilderness? Does being outdoors give you the feeling of being in a place where you are the only person in existence?

#6917296 - 10/11/17 07:35 PM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I've been on a 10K acre piece of land by myself in a severe thunderstorm with no cell service and about 40 min from the closest small town. I got closer to God that night roflmao

#6917311 - 10/11/17 07:49 PM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
I guess, the deepest wilderness I've had the pleasure of being in the middle of was a canoe trip in the Quetico Provencial Park in Ontario. We paddled around there out of Atikokan for about two weeks before we saw another person. We never even saw an airplane until we crossed over to the U.S. side into the Boundary Waters. There were fish that had never seen a boat or a lure.
“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.”

#6917349 - 10/11/17 08:16 PM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: Brian C.
When you go to your chosen patch of dirt do you feel like you are in the wilderness? Does being outdoors give you the feeling of being in a place where you are the only person in existence?

No but a high altitude lighting storm will though.

#6917387 - 10/11/17 08:37 PM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
About 30 years ago three of us spent a bit over a week out on a huge West Texas ranch. We had ample supplies, there were no facilities, and no cell phones then. We hunted any meat that we ate. About the only clue there were other humans was the occasional airplane trail in the sky.
When we returned to town it was actually quite strange being around other people, almost creepy. One guy even said "there are people here!"
We got really disconnected really quick. I would think being completely alone for that kind of experience would be interesting.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#6917393 - 10/11/17 08:42 PM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
Erathkid Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
I've spent 4 days in the hills north of Leakey by myself. Never saw or heard any sign of human activity. No phone service. Don't think I'd do that today. Not alone.

#6917520 - 10/11/17 10:30 PM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Simple Searcher]
Elkhunter49 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
About 30 years ago three of us spent a bit over a week out on a huge West Texas ranch. We had ample supplies, there were no facilities, and no cell phones then. We hunted any meat that we ate. About the only clue there were other humans was the occasional airplane trail in the sky.
When we returned to town it was actually quite strange being around other people, almost creepy. One guy even said "there are (Other) people here!"
We got really disconnected really quick. I would think being completely alone for that kind of experience would be interesting.

FIFY LOL

#6917581 - 10/12/17 12:54 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Palehorse]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I guess, the deepest wilderness I've had the pleasure of being in the middle of was a canoe trip in the Quetico Provencial Park in Ontario. We paddled around there out of Atikokan for about two weeks before we saw another person. We never even saw an airplane until we crossed over to the U.S. side into the Boundary Waters. There were fish that had never seen a boat or a lure.

I did that trip. Was one of the best trips I have taken. Saw more bears and moose than people.

#6917593 - 10/12/17 04:01 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
Hunter307 Offline
Outdoorsman

Yep, because it's like 4 miles from the trailhead.....in a wilderness area. Well for archery elk at least.

#6917631 - 10/12/17 06:31 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
Stub Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
Unfortunately I have never been in a place so vast by myself or with others that I felt that way (Does being outdoors give you the feeling of being in a place where you are the only person in existence?). I have been on big ranches in west Texas but there was a foreman house close and neighbors not that far away so I never felt like I was in deep chit, but then again I enjoy the wilderness.

#6917656 - 10/12/17 06:59 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
GLC Online   content

Loc: Burleson Texas
Hunt the thickets in notheast and east Texas, dosen't matter how many acres you have, you feel alone very quick.

#6917844 - 10/12/17 09:16 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: GLC]
Drogers6771 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Huntsville
Originally Posted By: GLC
Hunt the thickets in notheast and east Texas, dosen't matter how many acres you have, you feel alone very quick.

yep

#6917856 - 10/12/17 09:21 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: GLC]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Originally Posted By: GLC

You're right. Many times, sitting way up in a tree in the fall, and the leaves blowing around you feel that way. Most of the critters have no idea that you're there and the woods come alive. Awesome experience.
“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.”

#6917894 - 10/12/17 09:51 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: BOBO the Clown]
TexasKC Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston & Lexington, Texas
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Brian C.

No but a high altitude lighting storm will though.

Or sitting in a tent on the continental divide for 2 days in a blizzard.

#6917901 - 10/12/17 10:00 AM Re: Hunting in the wild [Re: Brian C.]
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
I used to camp a lot on my land alone when I'd hunt. There were several houses within a mile or so, but it was pretty thick woods in patches, so it felt like no one else was around. I was much more afraid of people walking up on me at night (poachers) than I ever was about animals. But I definitely felt very much alone. One night I had a coyote go off about 20 feet outside my tent. That'll wake you up in a hurry. He was going crazy until I unzipped my tent and shined my flashlight in his eyes. Got an instant "Oh god, it's a human" look on his face, tail tucked between his legs, ears flattened and he slunk down and crawled back towards the brush for a few seconds before breaking into an outright run.

A whole lotta stuff happens with those animals in the woods when people aren't around. That's part of the beauty of being out there when they don't know you're there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide