Page 1 of 2 1 2
Your most memorable deer camp food #6916313 10/11/17 04:55 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
The use of the term "deer camp food" is a broad one. About to take some guests out to the ranch and looking for some ideas on what to cook while we are out there. Steaks are a standby of course, but also looking for ideas on lunch and breakfast. Eating well is always a highlight of a good trip in my opinion.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916317 10/11/17 05:40 AM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Fried catfish is a standby for us. Also, at least once or twice a season I bring a bunch of redfish filets for half-shell reds on the grill with either potato salad or baked macaroni with onions and jalapenos. Ain't noting wrong with meatballs and spaghetti.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916345 10/11/17 10:18 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
One of my favorites is what I call "Camp Food". I use two pieces of heavy foil, crimp the edges and make a pan. I put a layer of cubed beef (stew meat), venison, or pork at the bottom. Then a layer of sliced smoked sausage. Then a layer of cubed golden potatoes, then a layer of chopped yellow onion and jalapenos (sometimes add colored bell peppers & serranos too - I go easy with peppers when feeding the kids), add your favorite seasoning, then pour a can of Bush's Baked Beans over the top of all that. Pull the sides up tight but leave a little room for the juices, crimp foil at top. Put on the pit or in oven after breakfast and cook 225-250, it'll be ready after the evening hunt. I was guiding some pig hunters from Arkansas years ago that made this, and got hooked on it. Then I got my kids hooked on it and have been making it ever since.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916382 10/11/17 11:29 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Always loved a big breakfast after the morning hunt. As long as it has eggs, meat and biscuits or tortillas then I am all over it up

texas flag

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916614 10/11/17 03:02 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
If its just me I'm not too picky and will usually throw some hot links or what not on the grill. For larger groups, kids etc have gravitated toward something warm and brown in the dutch oven. Gumbo, fricasee's, creole's etc served with hot french bread are always a hit. Start them after lunch, leave on the edge of the campfire to simmer all day and you are good to go after an evening hunt.

Breakfast is pretty much always fried sausage, potatoes, and eggs with tortillas.

Last edited by chalet; 10/11/17 03:03 PM.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: chalet] #6916664 10/11/17 03:54 PM
R
RaiderFan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Depends on the size of the group and the cooking facilities available.

Breakfast casserole if you have an oven and a large group. Eggs, Sausage, Croutons, Cream of Mushroom soup, Seasonings, and lots of cheese in a disposable pan is always good. If campfire/grill we do breakfast tacos. Always nice sitting around the campfire eating tacos after the morning hunt.

Lunch for big groups we do lasangna in a disposable pan or a fish fry. The favorite in our group is sausage wraps – good sausage grilled, tortillas, cheese, chilli, mustard, dill relish, and sometime pico. These go great with a big bags of doritos and fritos because some people make frito pies also (adding sausage and pico into a frito pie is killer!!!). We just tried a new idea this year and it was a big hit – taco salad in a bag. Crushed up individual bags of doritos with taco fixings in them. Super easy because we brought all the fixins and only had to heat up meat, and everyone eats out of their doritos bag so the cleanup was very easy.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916676 10/11/17 03:59 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Disk cooker....eggs, sausage, potatoes, onion, and jalapenos.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and Iā€™m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916685 10/11/17 04:07 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Like said above fried fish was always a big hit with us, love the smell when that fish hits the hot grease!

Was also pretty common to cut the loins out of whatever was hanging in the tree outside and chickenfry for dinner.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6916712 10/11/17 04:28 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
some of my favorite food memories from deer camp was chicken fried venison with fried potatoes and gravy for a large evening or mid day meal. grilled steaks or pork chops with fried potatoes was a close second. those never get old...

As for breakfast, I usually start a large cast iron skillet with a little oil or left over bacon grease, get it hot while chopping up potatoes, season, dump taters into grease and cover (steaming effect), once the potatoes brown on one side, stir/turn and dump in pan sausage and cover again. mix up some eggs, seasoning, a little milk and beat. stir potatoes/sausage and leave cover off, once sausage is browned, dump beaten eggs into the potato/sausage mix and stir until firm ... sprinkle with cheese and ready to eat ... either on a plate or on a tortilla ... toss in some chopped onions when you put the sausage in will also work.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6917108 10/11/17 09:47 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'm spoiled when it comes to eating at deer camp. My wife accompanies me all the time and cooks. I leave for the morning hunt and come back to biscuits, eggs, bacon and gravy. She'll hunt with me in the evening and if we're doing a long sit she packs us a sandwhich. When we get back she has a crockpot meal ready.

The only thing I have to cook are steaks. One of my favorites is when she cooks a roast in the crock pot with carrots, fingerling potatoes and onion. She also cooks a dish with link sausage, potatoes, cream of muchroom soup and Cajun seasoning.

As far as a wild game meal is concerned it's steaks and dove poppers over Mesquite wood with good baked beans, fresh corn, sliced onions, sliced tomatoes and fresh white bread. Top all that off with sweet tea.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: PMK] #6917196 10/11/17 11:18 PM
F
Fat Tire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: PMK
some of my favorite food memories from deer camp was chicken fried venison with fried potatoes and gravy for a large evening or mid day meal. grilled steaks or pork chops with fried potatoes was a close second. those never get old...

As for breakfast, I usually start a large cast iron skillet with a little oil or left over bacon grease, get it hot while chopping up potatoes, season, dump taters into grease and cover (steaming effect), once the potatoes brown on one side, stir/turn and dump in pan sausage and cover again. mix up some eggs, seasoning, a little milk and beat. stir potatoes/sausage and leave cover off, once sausage is browned, dump beaten eggs into the potato/sausage mix and stir until firm ... sprinkle with cheese and ready to eat ... either on a plate or on a tortilla ... toss in some chopped onions when you put the sausage in will also work.

Throw some biscuits out there with the chicken fried venison/steak and this is a winner.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6917293 10/12/17 12:33 AM
B
BigCohiba Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I hunted with my older brother when I was a kid. His wife always got up early on opening morning and made buckwheat pancakes, fried eggs, and crispy bacon for us before we went out for the morning hunt. One of my fondest memories of hunting...

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6917332 10/12/17 01:07 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Fajitas on a disk cooker. Second day venison tenderloin over a mesquite fire.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: bill oxner] #6917523 10/12/17 03:34 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I always brought the ribeyes cooked over mesquite. Tracy my red headed little buddy made the potatoes onions Jalapenos and butter cooked on an open fire in a tin pan. We always tried to be the first to get the well done edges. Ped always brought the beans. Generally someone killed a spike opening morning for camp meat. We ate like kings. food

Bobby Barnett

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6917691 10/12/17 12:27 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Just look at Skinnerbacks disco cooking thread....there is your answer.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and Iā€™m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6917787 10/12/17 01:31 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
One of our favorites, that will always be regarded as a deer camp meal, is BBQ'd deer ribs. First crisp them good on a flame licking fire. Then separate ribs & dip in thick BBQ sauce & cook individually a while. Finally put in a tin-foil pan with BBQ sauce thinned with water in the bottom. Seal top good with a layer of foil. Put back on a low fire to steam until meat is loose on the bone. Serve with the usual sides & eat 'em like Fred Flintstone!

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.ā€¯ - George Orwell
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: pertnear] #6917805 10/12/17 01:48 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: pertnear
One of our favorites, that will always be regarded as a deer camp meal, is BBQ'd deer ribs. First crisp them good on a flame licking fire. Then separate ribs & dip in thick BBQ sauce & cook individually a while. Finally put in a tin-foil pan with BBQ sauce thinned with water in the bottom. Seal top good with a layer of foil. Put back on a low fire to steam until meat is loose on the bone. Serve with the usual sides & eat 'em like Fred Flintstone!

Yes Sir!! Also love to pop or trap a few pigs right off the bat and make deep fried pork ribs. Sometimes fry naked (crisp) and season like cracklins, sometimes season and fry in chicken fry mix. I love pulling loins & tender loins off of first killed deer & pigs & making all sorts of things for camp food....especially carne guisada. Make some big ol' homemade flour tortillas and get after it!

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6917976 10/12/17 03:55 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Use the "Can Cooker", corn, potatoes, onions, cabbage, string beans, kabasa (plain, hickory, jalapeńo) can beer and seasoning all in one pot 45 min-1 hour all done.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6919548 10/13/17 09:53 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Man ya'll have some awesome ideas! Keep them coming!

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6925336 10/19/17 01:41 AM
L
LE59 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Bone-in shoulder of 60-80 lb sow, season it with Tony Chacheres, in a turkey foil pan line it with sweet taters and onions, seal pan with foil. 10 lbs charcoal in a 55 gal drum, Vertical cooker, load it up about 1:00 pm, go out for evening hunt and pull it off around 7:00. Perfect every single time! Moist, tender and extremely flavorful!

Last edited by LE59; 10/19/17 02:24 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6925450 10/19/17 04:25 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
In the early 1970's there was a lady that hunted with us that was Czech. She appointed herself our cook, I could easily have gained 25 pounds every weekend that she was there, but to add to the food spread my grandmother who was German was also on the lease, between the 2 of them they fed about 15 of us. We would wake in the morning to the smell of sausage, bacon and eggs, and fresh kolaches, made with home canned fruits. Lunch could be anything or in some cases everything imaginable. Dinner was always a big spread, especially on Saturdays. Sometimes it was a brisket with German potato salad, pinto beans and fresh baked cornbread, with several desserts, her cobbler was unlike any I have ever tasted, usually it was peach cobbler made with her home canned Fredericksburg peaches from the prior summer.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6926602 10/20/17 09:33 AM
P
Pigsicles Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Opening weekend Is always chili for my group. Equal parts beef, pork and venison, kidney and pinto beans, onions bell peppers, celery and tomatoes and served with tortillas and cornbread. Dutch oven dessert tops things off.
Usually also do Fajitas for a meal and stadium Brats wrapped in tortillas for lunch.
Breakfast burritos standard fare in the early hours before the hunt.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: dogcatcher] #6927239 10/20/17 08:58 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
In the early 1970's there was a lady that hunted with us that was Czech. She appointed herself our cook, I could easily have gained 25 pounds every weekend that she was there, but to add to the food spread my grandmother who was German was also on the lease, between the 2 of them they fed about 15 of us. We would wake in the morning to the smell of sausage, bacon and eggs, and fresh kolaches, made with home canned fruits. Lunch could be anything or in some cases everything imaginable. Dinner was always a big spread, especially on Saturdays. Sometimes it was a brisket with German potato salad, pinto beans and fresh baked cornbread, with several desserts, her cobbler was unlike any I have ever tasted, usually it was peach cobbler made with her home canned Fredericksburg peaches from the prior summer.

That sounds Great DC!!! Czech and German, how could could 'ya go wrong?? food

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6927264 10/20/17 09:25 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
In the early nineties we had a lady on our lease that was a fabulous cook. She made a cornbread that had hamburger and veggies that was a meal in it's self.

Re: Your most memorable deer camp food [Re: SouthWestIron] #6928810 10/22/17 04:20 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The one I remember the most was on a mule deer hunt in southern Brewster county with my dad and son. had a good fire at camp and put a good beef roast,potatoes,carrots,can of whole tomatoes and onions in a dutch oven.Banked the oven with hot coals and put some on top. 5 hours later food

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide