Forum Stats
62399 Members
46 Forums
435474 Topics
5997364 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6914721 - 10/09/17 06:28 PM Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD
WileyCoyote Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
At 4:33 PM today I received an EMail from TPW giving me notice that my Lottery Hunt Selection had been in Error when the computer over selected the number of Hunts for Ft Boggy SP's upcoming GDA Hunt.

Also advised to expect a Permit refund in 2 weeks, my LP's restored and an additional LP added as if I had not been drawn for a GDA anywhere.

Hmmmm too many thoughts to post them right now...don't have time to go to Austin right now for a face to face "conversation"...but it's where my head is at ....

Anyone else get a De-Selection Notice on any other locations?
Ron

... we must hang together, or we will ALL hang seperately, Ben Franklin..

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it,Santayana

#6914992 - 10/09/17 09:18 PM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
Erny Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Smith County
Wow that stinks.

#6915137 - 10/10/17 01:14 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
bigtime Offline
Light Foot

I got the same notification today for Fort Boggy.

#6915183 - 10/10/17 05:55 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
THF Trophy Hunter

Sorry to hear that I was not the only Cancellation.

At some point sooner than later I'll try and get into the Smith School Rd building and see what I can find out about the sloppy computer management...and yet another reason to not offer Non Resident Hunters the same level of access as Texas Residents to this Resident Property Tax funded program if the program is that swamped in Applications.

This reminds me of my newest unwanted "hobby" of generating Kidney Stones for fun and profit...with 2 confirmed stones in the last 4 weeks and lots of "trash" in between, and evidence of at least one more to come at any given time ....as they are a real pain to deal with and can come at anytime with no advance warning once the stone starts moving. Passed the last one at the Dr's Office a week ago last Friday peeing in the Speciman Cup.

This is bs
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (10/10/17 07:32 AM)
Edit Reason: where the Spell Check button?

#6915221 - 10/10/17 06:37 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
pigplinker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ben Wheeler,Tx
Man that sucks. I hope you can pass the stones. I have had that issue, but not as much as you discribe. I tell folks I would rather take an arse whooping with a 2x4 than get them again. I hope you hadn't invested in over night lodging yet. Good luck with next year then.

#6915288 - 10/10/17 07:26 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
THF Trophy Hunter

PP I put in for this location for the 1st time only because it was within driving distance of the house to commute from during the Hunt.

The stones are NOT new news but a bad reminder of years past when they were almost a common occurence with 4 over a 7-8 year cycle from the right side and another one on the other side, back then...and the 1st stone in 17 years...so I'm up to 6 and counting from the "bad" side that has had a huge amount of surgical repair from 2 incidents of severe damage in it from over 50 years ago.

Ma Nature never forgets or forgives stupid stuff we do to ourselves or by others. OBTW Flomax is GOOD Stuff in helping "grease the skids".
Ron

#6915397 - 10/10/17 08:44 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker

Loc: Deer Park
Geez! That is crappy!!! Sorry man!

#6915426 - 10/10/17 09:03 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
That stinks, but don't be too hard on them. TPWD has been running on a razor thin budget because our illustrious leaders in Austin keep stealing the extra tax money that sportsman pay and using it in the general fund. We are getting double taxed in addition to the licenses and fees and the money is getting squandered, even though our governor swore that it would not happen any longer.
I kinda thought that they might be having some IT issues because the waterfowl drawings are way late.

Edited by Palehorse (10/10/17 09:05 AM)
“He grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bull’s-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.”

#6915459 - 10/10/17 09:40 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
THF Trophy Hunter

+ a DOZEN on what Palehorse said about the lazy sleazy thieven' way the Lege raids the TPW Fundings with NO Acountability at the Ballot Box ...and I am not surprised at the IT troubles being seen in other categories either...
Ron

#6915487 - 10/10/17 09:55 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
TxAg Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Live in Katy, Hunt in Llano Co...
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
and yet another reason to not offer Non Resident Hunters the same level of access as Texas Residents to this Resident Property Tax funded program if the program is that swamped in Applications.
Ron

Agreed big time. I don't understand why in TX Non-res can access the exact same public hunting as the residents with nothing more than a slightly-elevated hunting license cost. In the Western states Non-Res pay drastically higher rates for Elk and Deer licenses, and I don't have a problem with it, as stated, because I know it wasn't my tax dollars supporting the program. This could be a huge revenue source for TPWD if they would just get organized!

Same comment on not allowing a preference point only option. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars being left on the table by not allowing hunters to buy a PP on the years they know they can't make the hunt but still want to stay in the game. Seems like an easy modification to drive revenue that again, many other states take advantage of. Am I missing something?

#6917145 - 10/11/17 05:27 PM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: TxAg]
zbot Offline
Light Foot

Originally Posted By: TxAg
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
and yet another reason to not offer Non Resident Hunters the same level of access as Texas Residents to this Resident Property Tax funded program if the program is that swamped in Applications.
Ron

Agreed big time. I don't understand why in TX Non-res can access the exact same public hunting as the residents with nothing more than a slightly-elevated hunting license cost. In the Western states Non-Res pay drastically higher rates for Elk and Deer licenses, and I don't have a problem with it, as stated, because I know it wasn't my tax dollars supporting the program. This could be a huge revenue source for TPWD if they would just get organized!

Same comment on not allowing a preference point only option. Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars being left on the table by not allowing hunters to buy a PP on the years they know they can't make the hunt but still want to stay in the game. Seems like an easy modification to drive revenue that again, many other states take advantage of. Am I missing something?

Resident hunting license-$25
NR hunting license-$315

How is that a slight difference? Also, are there that many NRs applying that its a big deal? I can't imagine very many folks wanting to travel all the way down there for a few day's hunt with a slight chance at success except maybe the Chap and a few others like the aoudad hunts. Most guys I know want to travel to the mid-west for whitetail and hunt with outfitters for exotics in Texas.

Completely agree on the "point only" option.

#6917371 - 10/11/17 08:28 PM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
THF Trophy Hunter

Go shop this ?? on other forums about Lottery Hunting in Texas...you'd be surprised at the participation from Idaho to Kentucky & even to California according to the 2 Game Wardens I talked to today at Fairfield SP...and Fairfield SP is not a high profile SP with any exotics at all....offers only GDA Hunts.
Ron

#6917539 - 10/11/17 10:49 PM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: zbot]
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: zbot
are there that many NRs applying that its a big deal?

I'd bet the Desert Bighorn hunt has lots of NRs applying. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more NR than residents applying. What other state gives NRs the same odds as residents and only charges $10 for Desert Bighorn?

#6917547 - 10/11/17 11:02 PM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: Whiptail]
Blank Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
WC: And here I thought you were just starting to like me! smile

Spent last week down in the Sargent, Matagorda, Palacios area, looking at hurricane damage and helping our friends where we could. Got my licenses for hunting and fishing, and the wife's 3-day fishing one while we were there, to the tune of about $475 dollars. If I drive to my Choke Canyon hunt in January, it will cost me about a thousand dollars, if I fly and rent a car it will be double that! Pretty spendy for a 4 day hunt, don't you think? Wish I could really figure out what a lease costs.

I'm sorry you don't get a tag every year, but I don't in my home state of Idaho either!

#6917633 - 10/12/17 06:34 AM Re: Got a Cancellation Notice on a Drawn Lottery Permit from TPWD [Re: WileyCoyote]
THF Trophy Hunter

Blank...I am a great believer in Fair Play, the way the Texas Dept of Insurance handles non resident Texas Insurance Licenses...back when I was a Health Insurance Sales Rep servicing companies with out of Texas oerations but home officed here I was subject to whatever a given state requires of a Texas Resident to have that States Insurance License, Texas Dept of Insurance aka TDI mirrors, requiring exactly the same restrictions, test's and fee's of that States residents to get a Texas Insurance License. Case in point... South Carolina as I recall charges $10 for a Texas residents South Carolina Insurance License, and TDI in turn offers the same Courtesy to SC Residents...but for example Illinois & California charge bigtime $'s, require a sizable Bond, and Testing that they do not require of their instate resident Insurance Agents...and Texas offers that same level of "Courtesy" to their Residents in return to get a Texas License, as they should...or said another way ... "What's Fair for the Goose is Fair for the Gander" is what works for me where I am paying to support an out of state property...nothing more & nothing less.

Now extrapolate that "Tit for Tat" Courtesy System to Hunting License's and access to Federal Property paid for by Texas Resident Income Tax's just like the instate Hunters ... for License cost and equal access...and you can easily see the unequal disparity in the way Texas Hunters are treated in the Rocky Mountain and Western states. I rest my case at that glaring simple example.

FWIW Try making your recent trip based from this end and compare the $'s you would have spent to make the same trip from Texas to Idaho, and whether or not you would have had the same access to the resource you wanted to use as a Idaho Resident...at anywhere close to what you spent coming down here.

FWIW, IMO Texas has far more than just a non Res $$ problem ... we need to clean up our own house 1st...utilize every resource to fund TPW to the limit- buying LP's for example, then demand that TPW use those $$'s without any TPW Commisioners political influences to get the most bang for the buck out of our money in terms of New Aquisitions and better Operations Management to keep pace with the hyper booming Texas Population growth, just to keep pace with where we are today or yesterday - we have several new property's recently aquired or in the pipleline that cannot be developed and brought online for use because the Dedicated Funds have been diverted to maintenance on other crumbling infrastructure or "elsewhere", then hold the Lege to account at the Ballot Box for their continual ongoing casual use of the TPW Dedicated Funds to cover the General Fund shortfalls. IMO they to Either do the JOB they were hired for OR GO HOME....dipping into Non GF dedicated Fund Accounts from any Dept's dedicated budgets could be construed outside of State Government to being akin to stealing... same as if I were an Employee of a private Business Corporation that was misusing my EE Travel Allowances for booze and lap dances, that is an automatic Firing Offense in most companies I ever worked for.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (10/12/17 07:10 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide