6057337 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6914499 - 10/09/17 04:04 PM Hunting on someone else's land
AdanV Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Katy, TX
I'm curious to see how many of yall hunt on someone else's land?
I don't mean hunting leases, just land owners that allowed yall to hunt on their property.

I'm always passing up farms & such when driving to the public hunting grounds, which most are at least an hour and a half drive.

I was thinking of maybe writing a few letters out and see if I can just hunt small game and hogs.

Then again, I feel like I'll be getting ticked off responses.
Me and my son went to public hunting ground yesterday evening, and we ended up picking up about 20 spent shells along with trash that was used a target practice. Some people...

Edited by AdanV (10/09/17 04:04 PM)

Arsenal:
Springfield XD - .45
Remington 1917 - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge

#6914519 - 10/09/17 04:15 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog

I do but the LO has done business with my family for over 30 yrs so he kinda knows me smile. He liked how I always took care of our place, so now I do the same for him.

#6914525 - 10/09/17 04:17 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I do but they are very good friends

#6914532 - 10/09/17 04:20 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker

My experience was I knew a guy through my dad, and he owned some nice size tracts of land in Northeast TX. He brought my brother, father, and me out for a few hunts, then saw how good of young men my brothers and I were as far as good hunting morals and respecting his property. He had no sons only daughters and they weren't interested in hunting out there, so he enjoyed us riding up there every hunting season and even in the summer to visit and help out on his land. Worked out great for us. Eventually he passed, and family came in and started taking over land, and we respectively obeyed their decision to not hunt there anymore. Think they sold that property now.

#6914572 - 10/09/17 04:41 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
I think writing some letters is a good idea. It use to be knocking on doors, but these days that might get you shot or bit.

If you convinced me that you would leave my property better than you found it and I liked the first impression you and your son made I would probably say yes to varmits and small game........if I was a farmer or rancher, which I currently am not. Offering to help with chores or mending fences etc....would be a positive as well.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6914596 - 10/09/17 04:50 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
face to face is what I have always done, there are tricks to doing it this way, its real easy for l/o to disregard letters, phone calls usually will get a no right off.

#6914608 - 10/09/17 04:59 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

I hunt private land owned by someone else about 90% of the time, and hunt public land the remaining 10%.

Rule #1 is to never extend the rights and privileges you enjoy to anyone else, including family members, unless it feels completely right between you and the landowner. I've been hunting 200 acres of private land for almost 15 years now and it has never felt right to bring along a friend. I only hunt it with only family members, and there is no one else outside the family that hunts it.

The good news is that once you develop a good relationship with one landowner, it can lead to access with other tracts owned by others. Just follow the Golden Rule, don't bring in unknowns, and you'll be fine.

Spring, Texas

#6914846 - 10/09/17 07:54 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
a74aggie Offline
Woodsman

Loc: East Texas
I want to see you and size you up. IMO skip the letters.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

#6914894 - 10/09/17 08:22 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
I hunt hogs and coyotes on all my neighbors land, equaling thousands of acres. They've told me to deer hunt if I wanted to, but our population is so low, I have no desire to deer hunt their places.

Go meet them in person. It goes much farther. Hat in hand, look them in the eye, yes sir, no sir still goes a long ways. You bringing up that you'll not litter, you'll leave gates the way you found them, you'll not harm crops or livestock also shows you know the rules of the range.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6914912 - 10/09/17 08:35 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: a74aggie]
Dennis in Ft Worth Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: a74aggie
I want to see you and size you up. IMO skip the letters.

This ^^^ and, bring your son along when you stop to ask. Don't drive up into a fellow's "yard" in a big rig, camo'd out, ready to kill something. Offer to share any game you harvest (which, of course, you have already plucked, field dressed, etc.). Let them know that you know to close a gate or leave open, as you found it. Don't litter, including spent shotshells--haul it out. Stick to established roads/trails. Some landowners don't want you shooting certain game, for example, doves OK, but don't shoot my quail. Respect that. And, like Dan said above, don't start bringing all your buddies along. Bonus points: if your wife (or you) cooks up a great cake/pie/casserole (sp?) or whatever dish, bring that and offer as a token of thanks.

#6914918 - 10/09/17 08:43 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
a74aggie Offline
Woodsman

Loc: East Texas

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

#6914931 - 10/09/17 08:49 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
A friend of mine, not a good friend actually my wife's friends husband just text me today and said he and 2 friends are coming to TX to visit his brother and ask if I could take them all out for a hog hunt. I told him most the places I hunt are private property and I am a guest and can't just invite friends to come out with me. He responded with whatever. Now even if I could take him out there is no chance in hell I would. When you gain someones trust and they give you access to their property that means something atlas to me it does and I'm not doing anything to ruin that.

#6914959 - 10/09/17 08:59 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: SapperTitan]
dkershen Offline

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
A friend of mine, not a good friend actually my wife's friends husband just text me today and said he and 2 friends are coming to TX to visit his brother and ask if I could take them all out for a hog hunt. I told him most the places I hunt are private property and I am a guest and can't just invite friends to come out with me. He responded with whatever. Now even if I could take him out there is no chance in hell I would. When you gain someones trust and they give you access to their property that means something atlas to me it does and I'm not doing anything to ruin that.

Smart on your part up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#6915028 - 10/09/17 09:39 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
longgunner Offline
Woodsman

I teach my boy "Nobody will ever remember how many birds you shot, but they will always remember how many spent shells you left"......

#6915032 - 10/09/17 09:42 PM Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV]
fonzie Online   content
Tracker

Loc: NRH,Tx
I consider myself lucky a few years ago I gained access to run dogs in a mans property. When I sold my dogs he told me I'm more then welcome to come shoot hogs. I took him up one it, that was oh three years ago. I call him every time before I head out to make sure it's ok. He tells me I don't have to ask I do anyways out of respect. I have a feeder out there along with a blind. He allows me to bring a buddy to hog hunt but I only have a hand full of buddies I take. Most the time it's me alone or with my kids. I always offer to help with any work on the place or if something isn't right while I'm there I fix it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide