Forum Stats
62384 Members
46 Forums
435208 Topics
5994043 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6914117 - 10/09/17 11:47 AM What will be your hunting legacy?
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

As most guys my age know, you begin to think about what you will leave behind to your kids and grandkids as your hunting legacy. What will you leave behind that those who come after you will value most? Of course the first thing that probably comes to mind is your firearms. Still, there are and should be other things that serve as part of your overall hunting legacy.

For me, I sincerely hope my kids and grandkids enjoy and value the books that I've acquired over the years that offer a wealth of wisdom on how to be successful in hunting whitetail deer. Most are no longer in publication and cover hunting tactics and general information on deer behavior that many hunters today care little about.

Spring, Texas

#6914220 - 10/09/17 12:51 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
Jgraider Offline
Tracker

Loc: West Texas
Here is the one most important to me, therefore I passed it down to my kids:

Psalm 19 (NIV)

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.

#6914243 - 10/09/17 01:07 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
hook_n_line Offline
Extreme Tracker

Had a conversation with an old man the other day and he said he's leaving just enough for his kids to bury him. He's spending the rest.

Edited by hook_n_line (10/09/17 01:07 PM)

#6914273 - 10/09/17 01:22 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker

Loc: Dumas TX
I am not and never have been a hunter, it always sounded appealing to me, I just never did it. My 10 year old son (at the time) wanted to start hunting and shooting.

There was little to no opportunities here. I have spent the last 4 years (2 in particular) training in youth hunting and shooting programs, and building opportunities for him and other youth in the Panhandle. In the last 3 Weeks many wonderful things have started happening across the board that will help me and the other volunteers to do just that.

The legacy I leave behind is good times we have doing what he wants to do.

I will give him the chance to build his Legacy. But most of all teach him to support his children in what ever THEY want to do NOT what HE and their Mother want them to do.

#6914300 - 10/09/17 01:42 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Anton, TX
I am the father of one son. He will be getting our place at Aspermont(460 acres)to do what ever he pleases with, just a couple of firearmsgrin , and hopefully some of the greatest hunting and fishing memories and father and son could acquire together.

#6914318 - 10/09/17 01:56 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
I can already say, I've taught boys, girls, men, and women to shoot their rifles better. I am proud of that.

My kids are learning the woodsman/ hunter skills to go with that.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6914347 - 10/09/17 02:16 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dallas 2 Jacksboro
I have always encouraged and shared the outdoors with both of my kiddos. I have taught them the ethics of hunting and the respect for the land. I hope my legacy is one that makes my children proud of their old man and they cherished all of the times we enjoyed mother nature up

Edited by Stub (10/09/17 02:17 PM)

Rodney Dangerfield

flag texas

#6914439 - 10/09/17 03:12 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Forney
Go to school, get an education and get a job that can afford you the opportunity to hunt.

#6914454 - 10/09/17 03:21 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I'm big on learning how to do stuff for yourself and how basic things you use every day work. In hunting I intend to pass on reloading, guns, and the desire and ability to take your harvest and make it a pleasing meal. The vast majority of our diet at home is based on meat that was caught or killed by us, it keeps the enjoyment going long after the hunt and with proper care and preparation is great table fare.

#6914475 - 10/09/17 03:38 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
Wacm Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
Wow I don't know I guess I teach my one son everything I know. Besides lots of great memories he will have knowledge of hunting and how to prepare good food. He sees the value in organic wild game over store bought food. Knows how to pray and have faith before worrying. The way I see it...I'll give him anything I can.
No telling what the legacy will be.

#6914504 - 10/09/17 04:08 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
Grizz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Granbury, TX
Other than my guns, introducing my son to hunting and fishing as a child and the things I've taught him which have contributed to making him the man he is. I actually have a different scenario with him now that most guys probably don't have. He has lived in Alaska for over two years, so when I fish and hunt with him there we reverse roles and I learn from him.

#6914618 - 10/09/17 05:08 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Wacm]
Wilhunt Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
Originally Posted By: Wacm
Wow I don't know I guess I teach my one son everything I know. Besides lots of great memories he will have knowledge of hunting and how to prepare good food. He sees the value in organic wild game over store bought food. Knows how to pray and have faith before worrying. The way I see it...I'll give him anything I can.
No telling what the legacy will be.

Great photo's with super smiles.

#6914665 - 10/09/17 05:47 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
texasdude28 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Clairette
In addition to teaching, I take a kid duck hunting every year, for most it is their first time. With hunter numbers decreasing, we need to recruit more. I have also passed on guns, equipment, and memories to my own kids as well as making new ones with my dad and family friends. Work with people and you never know where your influence will end.

#6914690 - 10/09/17 06:01 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
I like to think I have introduced a few to hunting and shooting hopefully they will remember me for that.

No kids of my on but like working with kids. 5 Nephews and 8 friends kids have all started their shooting and hunting with me some continue while others figured out it wasn't for them but all still like to shoot. Not sure how many adults have taken their first game on hunting trips. Huntmaster in the TYHP and do at least one hunt a year with that program.

I do not know how many I have helped get started in archery but many remember me for that.

When I can get some Hunters Education classes setup I will be back to doing those, as well as planning to pickup the training so I can do the Archery hunters Education as well.

Above it was mentioned about how we need to get youth interested in hunting, as I get older I see it as more important and try to do what I can. Hopefully some are getting something out of it.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#6914695 - 10/09/17 06:03 PM Re: What will be your hunting legacy? [Re: Texas Dan]
Wacm Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
Those were his first buck he shot without me holding anything. He was 6 years old.
His first bass he caught all by himself.. he was 5.

I think he made to much progress to fast cause now all he talks about is football. He's not into hunting and fishing as much. It's kind of a bummer but it's ok.....So....I'm a football coach for his team. Passing it on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide