Print Thread
Hunter Education for Kids #6912764 10/08/17 01:08 PM
M
MIROPHAN Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
I know that I am ranting, but the requirements for hunter education in Tx for a child 9-12 years old are ridiculous. I am not sure when they started this, but the kids have to pass 6 hrs of online courses, and then take a 6 hour field class. Apparently the field class also includes live fire and tips on how to follow a blood trail. For a 9 year old???

My kids are not going to leave my side. I simply want to take them with me, and get them out doors. Texas is doing a great job in encouraging kids and parents to take their kids hunting.

Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: MIROPHAN] #6912773 10/08/17 01:19 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Read the requirements again:

Age 9-16 must complete the course OR be accompanied. Your 9 year can hunt with you without it until they are 16.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: MIROPHAN] #6912880 10/08/17 03:51 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
They can also do the intire course in a classroom.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: txshntr] #6913502 10/09/17 02:24 AM
M
MIROPHAN Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Read the requirements again:

Age 9-16 must complete the course OR be accompanied. Your 9 year can hunt with you without it until they are 16.

Not much help when you are planning on a prairie dog hunt in NM, and there require hunter education for 10 and older. I also cannot find any information on the live fire portion of the class.

Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: MIROPHAN] #6913565 10/09/17 03:11 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
If you're just looking to complain, I don't think anyone here wants to get in the way of that... the OT guys really like to do that.

Your son is 9, you said he's not going to leave your side... you don't have to do anything. I don't see what a Prairie Dog hunt in NM has anything to do with Texas hunter requirements? He also doesn't have to do the live fire test. My two boys went to Bass Pro for a couple hours on a Sat and a Sun and did the class portion there, that's it, nothing else.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: CharlieCTx] #6913572 10/09/17 03:15 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
If you're just looking to complain, I don't think anyone here wants to get in the way of that... the OT guys really like to do that.

Your son is 9, you said he's not going to leave your side... you don't have to do anything. I don't see what a Prairie Dog hunt in NM has anything to do with Texas hunter requirements? He also doesn't have to do the live fire test. My two boys went to Bass Pro for a couple hours on a Sat and a Sun and did the class portion there, that's it, nothing else.
x2

Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: MIROPHAN] #6913836 10/09/17 01:40 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
When I took it 7 or 8 years ago all the live fire was shooting a pellet gun 4 times off of a rest at a paper target. And for the field test was walking through the woods with a BB gun and saying bang when you wanted to shoot something.

TSmith
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: Aggieman775] #6913853 10/09/17 01:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
When I took it 7 or 8 years ago all the live fire was shooting a pellet gun 4 times off of a rest at a paper target. And for the field test was walking through the woods with a BB gun and saying bang when you wanted to shoot something.
that's about all I can do now is go BANG walking

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: MIROPHAN] #6914019 10/09/17 03:32 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We drew a hunt on Lake Waco and the youths in our group were required to have hunters ed even if we were with them. Everyone was required to have it as a matter of fact.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/09/17 03:34 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: hook_n_line] #6914076 10/09/17 04:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
We drew a hunt on Lake Waco and the youths in our group were required to have hunters ed even if we were with them. Everyone was required to have it as a matter of fact.

And as was pointed out earlier, it can be required for kids when hunting in other states.

Another good point was made earlier, that kids can get certified by taking just the six-hour classroom course. The combined classroom and field course is strictly optional for those looking for something with an outdoor element added to it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: Texas Dan] #6914151 10/09/17 05:06 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

And as was pointed out earlier, it can be required for kids when hunting in other states.

Another good point was made earlier, that kids can get certified by taking just the six-hour classroom course. The combined classroom and field course is strictly optional for those looking for something with an outdoor element added to it.

The 6 hour online course does not certify any one under their 17th birthday, they Must take the field day. It will certify any one older than 17

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: rdhibbs] #6914334 10/09/17 07:08 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
The 6 hour online course does not certify any one under their 17th birthday, they Must take the field day. It will certify any one older than 17

Not true. Kids may take the classroom only course to earn certification. I know this because I teach the class.

But you are correct in that kids under 17 cannot take the online only course to earn certification.

Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: Texas Dan] #6914344 10/09/17 07:13 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Not true. Kids may take the classroom only course to earn certification. I know this because I teach the class.

But you are correct in that kids under 17 cannot take the online only course to earn certification.

Re-read please I said the online class only does not certify youth. The Classroom does. I teach it also.

Thank You
Robert

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: rdhibbs] #6914472 10/09/17 08:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Re-read please I said the online class only does not certify youth. The Classroom does. I teach it also.

You stated they must take the "field day". They can take the classroom only course without any field day activities.

Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: Texas Dan] #6914481 10/09/17 08:46 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

You stated they must take the "field day". They can take the classroom only course without any field day activities.

OK, I have been going hard and I am tired, and apparently I did not state my thoughts correctly.

If a youth takes the class online they must do a field day if they are under 17.
If they take the "live" 6 hr classroom the Field day is done at the same time.
I do apologize if I created confusion.
TX Dan be sure I did not take your statement as criticism, If you ever see me make a mistake call me on it. It is my goal to provide folks with accurate information.

Thank You
Robert

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: rdhibbs] #6914515 10/09/17 09:14 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
TX Dan be sure I did not take your statement as criticism, If you ever see me make a mistake call me on it. It is my goal to provide folks with accurate information.

No harm done and no offense taken.

My experience has been that while some parents want their kids to be taught while in the field, others prefer to handle all the field training themselves. I myself recommend that approach as well since the parent can be more challenging to the child than a stranger who must be careful not to be too harsh. Still, in some cases, the parent doesn't hunt, which means they need someone to teach their child while in the field.

Re: Hunter Education for Kids [Re: MIROPHAN] #6914566 10/09/17 09:37 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Take the classroom course...I took it with my grandson. Not bad at all and was interesting.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide