Forums46
Topics537,987
Posts9,731,421
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6909676 10/05/17 01:52 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The only hunting utility I see for them is for the dedicated hog slayers. They are tailor-made for that. Especially the helicopter and night hunting guys.

Anything else hunting a bolt rifle is superior on any number of fronts.

While I agree for the most part, I don't see where a bolt gun has much advantage other than aesthetics and nostalgia.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: chalet] #6909711 10/05/17 02:15 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: chalet
The only hunting utility I see for them is for the dedicated hog slayers. They are tailor-made for that. Especially the helicopter and night hunting guys.

While I agree for the most part, I don't see where a bolt gun has much advantage other than aesthetics and nostalgia.

Nowadays it’s really more based on personal preference for your application and what you may want to lug around while hunting.

To be determined
Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6909853 10/05/17 04:03 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I own several ARs and I also own several bolt actions. I like both, but IMO, for the average hunter there is no advantage to the bolt action other than maybe lighter weight (Big maybe) and cost in some cases. I hunt with bolt action some weekends and I hunt with ARs some weekends, just depends on what I want to grab. I do grab the AR more often if it's only pigs that I'm after. I've given up on hunting with .223. Don't care for the results. I prefer my 6.5 Grendel AR. 6.5G does a great job on deer, pigs, coyotes, and raccoons. Oh, and a replacement trigger is a must in the AR.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: chalet] #6909914 10/05/17 05:12 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Weight, ergonomics, (broadly) accuracy. Clunky and unwieldy. Ergonomics plays a role in accuracy also.

You can mess with an AR in an attempt to alleviate some or all of those, but it just creates a ripple effect regarding its other shortcomings.

A bolt gun is a better tool for almost all hunting applications. A wand compared to toting an AR around.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6909954 10/05/17 05:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Weight, ergonomics, (broadly) accuracy. Clunky and unwieldy. Ergonomics plays a role in accuracy also.

You can mess with an AR in an attempt to alleviate some or all of those, but it just creates a ripple effect regarding its other shortcomings.

A bolt gun is a better tool for almost all hunting applications. A wand compared to toting an AR around.

There are more inaccurate bolt guns out there than ARs. Both my ARs are sub .75 MOA; both weigh about the same as my bolt guns. Clunky? I guess. They are two pieces joined by two pins, after all, and some of the adjustable stocks have play. I don't buy the unwieldy part nor the ergonomics, unless you're (obviously) stretching the couple of extra inches in height to try turn your dislike into a valid point. An AR pistol grip is much more secure than most rifle stocks if you're having to hold the weapon in one hand, as you might at times when stalking in thick cover.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6910039 10/05/17 06:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

There are more inaccurate bolt guns out there than ARs. Both my ARs are sub .75 MOA; both weigh about the same as my bolt guns. Clunky? I guess. They are two pieces joined by two pins, after all, and some of the adjustable stocks have play. I don't buy the unwieldy part nor the ergonomics, unless you're (obviously) stretching the couple of extra inches in height to try turn your dislike into a valid point. An AR pistol grip is much more secure than most rifle stocks if you're having to hold the weapon in one hand, as you might at times when stalking in thick cover.

I find them clunky and unwieldy to carry unless one is carrying in the "ready" position at all times. Which is not really feasible/ideal while hunting. Magazine sticks out. Weight concentrated. Can alleviate some by across the shoulder back carry - but then accessibility not as good (the "ripple effect").

I find them more unsteady from any 'rested' position compared to a bolt rifle. Most hunting shots are taken from a rest. Arguably a wash from a freehand standpoint (though I feel bolt rifle still better).

IMO just some of the reasons you still don't see them much out west/up north elk, sheep, goat, etc. hunting....
IMO my dislike of them for most hunting vs. a bolt rifle is valid. I'm not averse to jumping on bandwagons if they are going somewhere.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6910066 10/05/17 07:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Buddy just shot this stud on a Backcountry hunt last week. He said it was a poke.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6910073 10/05/17 07:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Buddy just shot this stud on a Backcountry hunt last week. He said it was a poke.

Do you do your western hunting with them? Prefer them?

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6910079 10/05/17 07:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
And, yes,stretch them out long enough on both ends and you almost have...... a bolt rifle.

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6910086 10/05/17 07:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I like this picture better

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6910092 10/05/17 07:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Here is my modern day backcountry sporting bow

It's blk, clunky, heavy, and unwieldy... but I love her

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6910168 10/05/17 08:09 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have two for hunting at night (6.8 and 300 BO) and one in 5.56 that's my truck gun at the lease. I can't even tell you the last time I've shot the 5.56 for grins and giggles. I'll keep mine, but they don't get a ton of use.

Re: Modern Sporting Rifle purchase [Re: TurkeyHunter] #6910556 10/06/17 01:35 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
An AR isn't an everyday kind of rifle, at least not for me, but having one or a dozen is a good thing. Sometimes the mood to just have a bit of fun strikes, and they're great for that. Some hunting situations are tailor-made for an AR too.

I've been telling my buds who don't have one, now's the time because they're never going to be cheaper than they are right now. No telling how long prices will remain bottomed out, and it might not be very long at all. If I thought for a minute I MIGHT want another one, I'd grab while the grabbin's good.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide