Back in the days when I was a Rep in the Gun bidnizz in the mid '70's to the late '80's...Mr Bill Carter bought a large bunch of of "loaner" rifles in a new caliber that I kept hearing good stuff about...as I recall these were 1st gen Remington Model 7's in 7-08's...and used them for younger-smaller framed or inexperienced shooters or for folks whose brand new Magnum Mangler was too much gun for them to shoot accurately when they showed up for one of Mr Carter's high dollar high fence hunts and could not hit the proverbial side of a barn....any barn ....at the shooting range.

I was and still am to some degree a dedicated 270 shooter...but as time goes by and my skills erode to old age and the lack of continual practice...I've gotten totally out of the anything in a 30 caliber or larger and moved down in calibers to some older lower pressure rounds to use for everyday hunting & range work. I have however recently bought my 1st ever personal 7Rmg to see if I can download it to 7-08 or 280 MV's to pair with a 7x57...if not, it'll go away sometime next year for a 7-08 or 280....but there will probably be a piece of 270 brass in my pocket for time evermore.

Otherwise the 270 24" barreled M70 will wear a 4x14x44 A/O, the 7Rmg VG II SS will wear the same size scope, and the 2 low pressure guns, a 6.5x55 & 7x57's do all shooters will both wear 2x10's in either a x50 or x44 objective lense in 30mm tubes...and are both GTG out to as far as I will want to walk to pick up anything I want to eat.

Thinking back from the 1st WTail kill in 1968, 98% of all the game I've taken were at or under 300+/- yards, except for a lucky wish shot in 1981 on a pronghorn in Wyoming at 444 yards with a slow but very accurate WW White Box 100gr ST 257 Rbt's, out of a M70 Fwt wearing a Leo 2x7 Vari X II FCH that was just as dead as my pards 7Rmg kill was at about the same distance later that day....only his Speed Goat was earning it's name, running flat out but Bob was a Nat'l Level Trap Shooter and used to "shooting the forward allowance" ...just wish I had the same quality vision now that I had then, but even modern medicine can't make that happen.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana