Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,486
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907003 10/03/17 12:38 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The myth that hunting on a LF 10 acres is "really hunting", but hunting on a HF 1,500 brushy & rough acres "ain't real hunting".

Theres a lot of that myth around here, along with the associated butt-hurt when someone who hunts extremely small acreages & takes way more deer than that acreage will raise, looks up & sees their neighbors HF them out.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Texas Dan] #6907005 10/03/17 12:39 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
All you need do is sprinkle your bullets with pixy dust.

I knew I was missing something

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Russ79] #6907069 10/03/17 01:27 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Russ79
The bucks have gone nocturnal....

That's no myth. Pressure mature bucks heavily during the season and they WILL go nocturnal.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907148 10/03/17 02:21 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Interesting to see what some think are myths, and also interesting to re-visit some actual proven myths.

I had the good fortune to have a guy named Ernie Davis hunt mule deer out here with us a couple of times. For those in which that name does not ring a bell, Ernie is one of (along with Horace Gore) the TP&W biologists who wrote the book on TX deer management. He even helped Horace coin the term "the golden triangle" in South Texas. As you can imagine, Ernie had piles of journals on deer movement, patterns, etc in every conceivable weather/moon pattern.

He did determine that whitetail bucks will move miles to another "home range" during the rut. It is nature's way of spreading genetics. This may be one reason that some of the bucks you see during October are hard to find during Nov-Dec. Also, bigger mature bucks become very much nocturnal, with the exception of a very small window during the peak of the rut. One of the most enlightening things I learned from him was that big, mature whitetail bucks will only breed 4-5 does per year. they may spend several days with each doe "tending" them, until they actually cycle. This could take a week before he goes and finds another one.

All of these, of course, are in wild conditions, no small high fenced acreages.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907187 10/03/17 02:44 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Fousman, do you actually believe a deer will lay up non-stop for 8-12 hours without having to get up and pee, poop, or eat. Not biologically possible. Will they change their habits? Absolutely. So when you only start getting pictures of your bucks at the feeders at night then find the bedding areas and set up on trails going in and out.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Russ79] #6907190 10/03/17 02:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Fousman, do you actually believe a deer will lay up non-stop for 8-12 hours without having to get up and pee, poop, or eat. Not biologically possible. Will they change their habits? Absolutely. So when you only start getting pictures of your bucks at the feeders at night then find the bedding areas and set up on trails going in and out.

No, by that he means limited travel, they will get up move beds, eats poop etc but may not move 100 yards.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6907240 10/03/17 03:16 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

No, by that he means limited travel, they will get up move beds, eats poop etc but may not move 100 yards.
Yep, I spotted a bedded buck about 9:30 one morning on my way back to the truck. I could see his antlers, nose and occasionally ears, but nothing else. I sat there with my rifle across a big rock until 3:00 when he finally stood up, shook, turned around and moved a couple of feet back into the shade and laid back down. That's when I realized how young he was and that I had just spent 5 or 6 hours staring at a 3 year old buck. But it was very informative.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: SapperTitan] #6907283 10/03/17 03:47 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
That Texas whitetails migrate
never heard that one before

Yelp just ask on our resident experts
come to think about it I've never even heard WT migration mentioned on here. Must have missed those threads. Now they will move to new locations within reason of their home territory during the rut but that's not immigration.

They migrate every winter in the UP of Michigan. Leave Lake Superior side and head south the the lake Michigan to shelter in the cedars and escape the extreme cold and wind. Also, to find food that isn't under 15 feet of snow. Only about 150 miles, not sure if that is considered their home territory.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #6907307 10/03/17 04:00 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Lots of WT migrate just not in majority of Texas. Migrations are products of winter weather.

Texas pretty much stick to home area by majority.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6907315 10/03/17 04:10 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Lots of WT migrate just not in majority of Texas. Migrations are products of winter weather.

We had a buck with a really weird rack one year that we saw all the time. Coming back from town one time we saw that buck cross the road right in front of us. I set my odometer to zero and it read 6 miles (straight line, no turns in the road) when we got home. It was during the rut, but that's the furthest I've personally seen one "migrate".

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: TexasKC] #6907323 10/03/17 04:15 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: TexasKC

We had a buck with a really weird rack one year that we saw all the time. Coming back from town one time we saw that buck cross the road right in front of us. I set my odometer to zero and it read 6 miles (straight line, no turns in the road) when we got home. It was during the rut, but that's the furthest I've personally seen one "migrate".

Different areas will see different travel distances.

The area that I hunt, some of the deer are very nomadic. It is not unusual for us to have the same deer on camera 3-5 miles apart, sometimes within the same day. Some have been seen even farther. This isn't one or two, it is many deer and over the course of many years. Of course, we have some deer that never seem to leave an area and we will see them in the same general area 4 years in a row.

The panhandle was the same way.

East Texas and the cross timbers region, we didn't see it as much but also didn't have the acreage that we have in West Texas and the panhandle.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: TexasKC] #6907350 10/03/17 04:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Only placed I've personally experienced over 7-8 miles is northern panhandle but that's not even close to apples to apples with average Texas deer

Personally found that range is more a product of terrain then habitats, if you have a bunch of ag they will travel more around ag etc because core habitat is isolated in patches. Pretty much follows suit from Stx to hill country.

Now, there is always the one off but we can't consider that the norm.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6907361 10/03/17 04:49 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
[/quote]Now, there is always the one off but we can't consider that the norm. [/quote]

I agree. IMO They pretty much stay in a relatively small "home range" in my area.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: TexasKC] #6907378 10/03/17 04:59 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[/quote]Now, there is always the one off but we can't consider that the norm.

I agree. IMO They pretty much stay in a relatively small "home range" in my area. [/quote]

Yelp, Been some years I wished it was different, that's for sure

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907405 10/03/17 05:13 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Agree wome are homebodies while others roam greater distances. That one lease I mentioned earlier they would leave our place in October and ocassionally very early November and go to a place a mile and half away and hang out in smaller areas there as well. Where they went was along a big creek with big wheat fields. But we had a 100 acre wheat field and property to the north had 2 40 acre fields and one at least 100 acres across the road. Guess it just tasted better over on the big creek.

Bucks that had left our place would come back and move out the next yea. they were replaced some what bu others that roamed onto our place.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907447 10/03/17 05:51 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Didnt read the entire thread, but I would say " I have to slit the throat to drain him out"

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907471 10/03/17 06:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Deer tastes gamey.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907494 10/03/17 06:25 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If the antlers are ivory colored, instead of dark, it's a young deer.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907581 10/03/17 07:32 PM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Larry Weishuhn doesn’t like venison.... Just kidding! I made that up!!!
I have enjoyed this thread greatly.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907587 10/03/17 07:40 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Double down prot......nah, better not rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: txshntr] #6907594 10/03/17 07:48 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
you almost started a sheet storm

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6907732 10/03/17 09:23 PM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
(1)from a yankee friend...thats now a texan.."shooting deer at a feeder is cheating" after i told him no its not and expained if you dont do it..the next person would and you have no deer coming to you"..he hunts at a feeder now
(2) "i wont eat deer,because it taste gamey" and then i proceed to trick that person into eating my secret chile at thanksgiving and Christmas..venison chili..lol

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: txshntr] #6907760 10/03/17 09:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr

If we would feed double down out west your buck would have scored 264"

Double down is not on the list of NFL banned substances.......yet

Last edited by txtrophy85; 10/03/17 09:40 PM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6908232 10/04/17 04:50 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Went to a deer seminar last Friday and there was a presentation from a wildlife biologist that was studying deer movement to wheat during the fall & winter. This was in North Central Texas Rolling Plains area. He located an area with a isolated wheat field. They captured and put tracking collars on does and bucks. Several bucks moved as much as 8 miles in the fall to the area with the wheat and then would return to their spring summer home range year after year. He found does would not move as far.

In a different segment on culling, they talked about a study done on fawn buck movement after they leave their mother and found that they establish their new home range long distances, as far as 21 miles, from their mother's home range. The point was your bucks are coming from long distances and that the buck offspring of the cull bucks you are trying to remove will likely never inhabit your ranch after it is a fawn. Of course you could argue you are helping your neighbors by killing that cull buck.

Re: Deer myths that you are tired of hearing..........GO!! [Re: Captain Luke] #6908320 10/04/17 12:30 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
21 mile gauntlet. No wonder low fence deer are skittish.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide