Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,917
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: mdryg1970] #6911264 10/06/17 06:06 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: mdryg1970
Thinking I had a shell chambered for my son's first buck and the gun went click instead of bang. Still makes me nauseous. He did get one the next year the night after winning his superbowl so I guess God had a better weekend in mind for him.

I did the same thing to my boy on his first deer. Luckily he just gave me a look of disgust and slowly chambered a round. The deer was 136 yards so he never even knew how close he came to living.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6911318 10/06/17 06:46 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
A family friend saved up all year for a chance to go to a ranch that had some huge deer. He paid about $5,000 for an all day hunt, and two nights lodging. He gets there around dark on a Friday and enjoys some really good food and gets to review some pics of the bucks at the ranch. In the morning, he woke up to an amazing breakfast. He was feeling really excited and pampered. He gathers all his gear together and heads outside to meet the owners and other hunters.

At this particular ranch, the owners/guides drive the hunters around the ranch and drop them off at their stands for the entire day. If you got lucky and tagged a deer, you'd call and they'd come get you, load the deer, process it for you...the whole nine yards. If you didn't call, they would pick you up 15-30 minutes after last shooting light. They drop all the hunters with a small cooler, filled with sandwiches, snacks and drinks. Our friend gets to his stand, climbs up into this cozy blind and sets his stuff up.

Just before daylight he goes to chamber a round. Wait...no round in the rifle. Checks the backpack....no rounds there. Immediately grabs his phone to call the guides back at camp....no signal. Rules were you couldn't not leave your blind until the truck came to pick you up. It was a HUGE ranch and the guy had no idea where he was in the ranch even, as he got there at night and didn't drive the property with them the day before. He had to stay there the entire day, watching B&C bucks walk within shooting range. His $5,000 earned him a chance to shoot any deer he saw. He saw 5 or 6 trophies. He said one even walked almost directly under the blind, and he contemplated if the cooler was big enough to knock him out. LOL!

In the end, he left empty coolered the next morning. The owner/guides felt horrible for him and worked out a deal for him to come back the next year (since the guy couldn't make it back that particular season) at a huge discount. He never went back. He said he was too ashamed.

Upon hearing this story, I bought a little bullet sleeve for every single rifle and shotgun I owned, and all of my buddies and in-laws got them for their Christmas present that year, along with the tale of this poor guy's unfortunate mistake. I fill up my sleeve with the 9-10 bullets that it holds before I go out for any hunt. So, even though it wasn't my mistake, I quickly learned from this guys' misfortune. For what it is worth, if you don't have a bullet sleeve for your stock, it is the best $10 you can spend, in my opinion.

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 10/06/17 06:47 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6911326 10/06/17 06:58 PM
C
Captain Luke Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
A family friend saved up all year for a chance to go to a ranch that had some huge deer. He paid about $5,000 for an all day hunt, and two nights lodging. He gets there around dark on a Friday and enjoys some really good food and gets to review some pics of the bucks at the ranch. In the morning, he woke up to an amazing breakfast. He was feeling really excited and pampered. He gathers all his gear together and heads outside to meet the owners and other hunters.

At this particular ranch, the owners/guides drive the hunters around the ranch and drop them off at their stands for the entire day. If you got lucky and tagged a deer, you'd call and they'd come get you, load the deer, process it for you...the whole nine yards. If you didn't call, they would pick you up 15-30 minutes after last shooting light. They drop all the hunters with a small cooler, filled with sandwiches, snacks and drinks. Our friend gets to his stand, climbs up into this cozy blind and sets his stuff up.

Just before daylight he goes to chamber a round. Wait...no round in the rifle. Checks the backpack....no rounds there. Immediately grabs his phone to call the guides back at camp....no signal. Rules were you couldn't not leave your blind until the truck came to pick you up. It was a HUGE ranch and the guy had no idea where he was in the ranch even, as he got there at night and didn't drive the property with them the day before. He had to stay there the entire day, watching B&C bucks walk within shooting range. His $5,000 earned him a chance to shoot any deer he saw. He saw 5 or 6 trophies. He said one even walked almost directly under the blind, and he contemplated if the cooler was big enough to knock him out. LOL!

In the end, he left empty coolered the next morning. The owner/guides felt horrible for him and worked out a deal for him to come back the next year (since the guy couldn't make it back that particular season) at a huge discount. He never went back. He said he was too ashamed.

Upon hearing this story, I bought a little bullet sleeve for every single rifle and shotgun I owned, and all of my buddies and in-laws got them for their Christmas present that year, along with the tale of this poor guy's unfortunate mistake. I fill up my sleeve with the 9-10 bullets that it holds before I go out for any hunt. So, even though it wasn't my mistake, I quickly learned from this guys' misfortune. For what it is worth, if you don't have a bullet sleeve for your stock, it is the best $10 you can spend, in my opinion.

I feel sick to my stomach after reading this. I wouldn't ever get over that. Maybe drilling a hole in the wooden stock and stuffing it with a round or two for emergencies wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't mind ruining your stock.

If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Captain Luke] #6911400 10/06/17 07:59 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch

I feel sick to my stomach after reading this. I wouldn't ever get over that. Maybe drilling a hole in the wooden stock and stuffing it with a round or two for emergencies wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't mind ruining your stock.

rofl Reminds me of when I hurt my ribs cocking my crossbow. I went to the stand without my pully string for my 160# draw crossbow. Deer were everywhere so I finally bit the bullet and gave it my all. I cocked that sucker but at the expense of 2 weeks with hurt ribs. I couldn't even sneeze and laughing about it hurt for a while. I got a deer but crap i had to get my son and buddy to load it.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/06/17 08:00 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6912686 10/08/17 04:13 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
During my first year deer hunting I did not have a round chambered when one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen came out at 40 yards.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6912838 10/08/17 02:51 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
There are so many to chose from, but the one that might haunt me the most was an archery hunt in California in the Hayward Hills above Pleasonton on some private land a buddy owned. It was in August, and really hot during the day. All the deer where mostly nocturnal and only moving around at first and last light, then it quickly warmed up once the sun came up. I had parked on top of the ridge and was hunting along a trail that led to a pond that the deer used a lot. I didn't see any bucks that morning, and waited until the sun was too hot to sit there any longer. It got hot really fast!!!

My mistake was leaving my bow and hunting gear next to the road and hiking up that really steep hill back to my truck. As I got to the top of the ridge, just past a large oak tree, I looked down, behind the tree, and 2 really nice bucks where eating in the shadow of that tree, maybe 20 yards away. I froze, watched them eat, and after awhile, decided to go back for my bow. I got about three steps when they saw me, and took off!!!!

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6912954 10/08/17 05:42 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
On a quite mourning just at first shooting light while trying to reach my hunting spot in Colorado I noticed a large Mule Deer dogging a doe about 50 yards from me. My brain went dead and I tried to shoot without chambering a round. You could of heard the click for a mile. Needless to say the buck left their like a rocket and I have had bad dreams ever since about that mistake.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6912986 10/08/17 06:19 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Let the window slam on my blind. First year on the lease and my blind wasn't finished, so I used para cord wrapped around a screw to keep my windows up. Biggest buck I've seen on my lease walks out and I'm about to kill a stud buck. I pull the window up, wrap it around the screw and bam. The para cord slips off the screw, window slams shut and the buck ran off never to be seen again.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6913004 10/08/17 06:36 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
There have been a number of situations but I guess the one most frustrating was when I failed to get a buck that appeared to have 12 to 15 points. It was the first day of deer season and I had arrived at the stand before daylight. Using binoculars I could see nothing for a while. Then after straining my eyes I thought I could see movement near the feeder. Finally I could barely see the buck, picked up the rifle and looking thru the scope I just could not see him well enough. I switched the rifle to my left as it is the stronger eye. just as I did this looking thru the scope I see him jump out of the pen. Caught him on a camera once after that but was never able to get a shot.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6913236 10/08/17 10:57 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I watched a buck for so long last year telling myself I wasn't going to shoot it. After about 30 minutes I changed my mind and didn't go through my pre-shot routine. I failed to account for the downhill angle and spined him. Shot was high. I had to go up and finish him off, in front of my son. I used it as a learning lesson but I felt bad of course. Oh and when I use my Dad's Mini-30 I've failed to remember to let the bolt slam like an AR. Click is a terrible sound for sure.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6916587 10/11/17 02:25 PM
357MAX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Biggest mistake ever was when my father and I were walking back to camp from a morning hunt. I was using a single shot .357 max that used to be a pistol, but had been converted to a rifle. When we were about 40 yards from camp I cracked it open, took the round out, and placed it in my ammo sleeve. As soon as I snapped the rifle shut we both hear and see hogs scatter. They were bedded down about 8 yards off the trail and we spooked them. They all ran about 10 feet or so and stopped. I was looking at a decent sized sow within spitting distance and no round chambered... My dad shouldered his rifle and dropped on, and they all took off. Shoulda, coulda, woulda never taken that round out until we were at the house. Never again has this or will this happen.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6916912 10/11/17 07:19 PM
T
thisguy_80 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Telling others what you saw during a hunt is perhaps one of the most widespread deer hunting mistakes.
ditto

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: thisguy_80] #6916914 10/11/17 07:20 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: thisguy_80
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Telling others what you saw during a hunt is perhaps one of the most widespread deer hunting mistakes.
ditto

You guys must be on leases with some real winners.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Wilhunt] #6917097 10/11/17 09:36 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
I switched the rifle to my left as it is the stronger eye. just as I did this looking thru the scope I see him jump out of the pen. Caught him on a camera once after that but was never able to get a shot.

It wasn't until I was well into my adult years that I realized the key in shooting from your opposite shoulder is to use your non-dominant eye to aim through the scope or sights. I was amazed at the ease in which it can be done once you realize this simple fact. Not sure how many deer I may have passed up knowing there was no way I could twist in the stand without being busted.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6917388 10/12/17 01:38 AM
S
slotfish70 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Several years ago I went to hunt at my dads in Missouri. I bow hunted seven days before the rifle season and then rifle hunted for four days. I was able to get a couple of does opening day of rifle season but never saw a buck I wanted to take. On Wednesday morning, the fifth day of rifle season, I woke up and was absolutely exhausted. I decided to sleep in.

Well I was laying there telling myself to get up and get to the stand. I laid there and laid there. I finally got up. By this time sun was already starting to come up. I got dressed and was fixing to leave the house but I could smell coffee brewing from the kitchen. I went and had a cup of coffee with my dad because it was very cold outside. I drank the coffee, grabbed my rifle and out the door I went.

As I was walking to the gate that I walk through to got up the hill to my stand I looked out across my dads pasture and walking down the fence was a doe and five steps behind her was a buck. My jaw would have hit the ground if it could have. This was a buck of a lifetime. I took off running parallel to the fence to get ahead of the buck to possibly get a shot. I was far enough away that he never saw me but he made it to the neighbors fence and jumped it and I never saw him again. After seeing this deer and running the distance I ran. I couldn't of gotten a shot off anyway.

Now here is the sad part. The stand I was going to hunt that morning was on that fence two hundred yards from where I first saw him. He would have walked right under it following that doe. If I would have got my butt out of bed I could have possibly harvested this buck.

Now here is another sad part (at least for me). That afternoon the neighbor shot that deer. It was a perfect typical 12. Heavy main beams, long g2s and g3s and it Scored 182. I've learned not to sleep in anymore. Lol

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6919247 10/13/17 04:38 PM
S
soonerdg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
My biggest deer hunting mistake is all the years I wasted not deer hunting.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6919283 10/13/17 05:23 PM
T
TBirdFF4 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
A few years back, we were on a lease out in west Texas. I had taken up bow hunting a year prior. I was determined to kill a mule deer buck with that bow while stalking. Sure enough, I spotted this 4x3 with a jacked up rack. He was an old deer, and was in the middle of the wheat field heading towards the fence line. I started slinking through the trees to head him off. After 45 min or so, I made it to the spot he was going to cross, and was about 15-20 yds from him. I decided to go ahead and draw, so when he walked through the opening, I'd just let it fly. I didn't chack my surroundings, and as soon as i hit full draw and saw his head appear, a doe behind me stomped, and took off, taking him with her. I went back out that evening and dropped him from 150yds with my rifle.

Another was watching the biggest typical 8pt WT i've ever seen on opening day last season. I was after a big 11 we had been seeing, and didn't want to end my season so quick. Well, after having him pass at 15yds, seeing his true size, i decided to get an angle on him and shoot. He never gave me a shot, walking directly away from me for 200yds. That 11 never showed his face the entire season. Needless to say, that 8 is now on my hit list this year and will not get a second thought.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6927262 10/20/17 09:23 PM
L
Leveled Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
First time deer hunting - I was on the Caddo South Public hunting land. A huge buck came right at me and stood twenty yards away. I was blocking the path he used to go into a creek. Problem is I did not have a round chambered in my .308. As I tried to work the bolt he gave out a grunt and was gone. Lesson learned always have one chambered and ready.

Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6927435 10/21/17 12:16 AM
T
Trophytaker3 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
offtopic My biggest hunting mistake. Well, It's not really a mistake, but when i see a deer, especially a big buck, I get the shakes really really bad......
One year i had to wait about 5 minutes for the shaking to subside to climb out of the stand...

In this order....
Faith, Family, Hunting.

http://atvutvcustomizer.com/
Pacific Eagle UTV enclosures. Kawasaki, Honda , Polaris, Kymco, and many more!

Trump, Make America Great Again!
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6927482 10/21/17 12:56 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
300 mag.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: REALKILLER] #6927486 10/21/17 12:59 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
300 mag.

'Hate that round. bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6927559 10/21/17 02:15 AM
T
Trophytaker3 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Biggest mistake: Hunting without a license...

no, just kidding. [b][/b]never ever do that!

In this order....
Faith, Family, Hunting.

http://atvutvcustomizer.com/
Pacific Eagle UTV enclosures. Kawasaki, Honda , Polaris, Kymco, and many more!

Trump, Make America Great Again!
Re: Your biggest deer hunting mistake [Re: Texas Dan] #6927739 10/21/17 01:02 PM
G
gary75758 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Not going hunting cheers
texas

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide