Forum Stats
62399 Members
46 Forums
435469 Topics
5997327 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6904905 - 10/01/17 01:23 PM Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days
doggit Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: tx san marcos
Went to buy a Taurus pistol they had on sale already have 3 so need another like I need a hole in my head but for the price figured WTF. Anyways just bought a gun from them last month no problems. This time was filling form out on their tablet and was talking to guy while was filling it out. He was checking my CHL license. Handed it back to him when done and he says cant sell me pistol because I answered question wrong. WTF??? Asked what it was said he couldn't tell me that would be coaching me and a felony. Now I'm getting pissed. Call a manager, told them they need to show me wrong question. He said couldn't. I told them without showing me proof how do I know the employee just isn't profiling me and rejecting my form. Finally they showed me I answered the " are you and illegal" wrong I didn't put N/A for next question. And once I signed it TOO Bad!!! JEEZ now I know it was my fault, I'm about as white of a boy as they come 45 yrs old, just bought a gun from them last month, they know me at the store, I have a CHL. But their store policy is if you screw up on yellow form once its signed , you are banned for 30 days from buying any firearm at ANY academy. I used to like them and think they were about promoting hunting and shooting but this stupid [censored] store policy has me rethinking that??? Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

#6904928 - 10/01/17 01:53 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
DocHorton Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: DFW
I've heard the same thing before...you mess up and sign it then there's nothing they can do. I wonder how any other Academy would know that you filled it out wrong? Not sure about the 30 days thing though. FWIW, I bet you can get the gun cheaper online.

#6904978 - 10/01/17 02:50 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
huntwest Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Albany
There is not an ATF rule. That is Academy's dumb PC policy.

A 4473 can be marked void and redone if mistake is obvious and can be proven as so.

#6905008 - 10/01/17 03:28 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
doggit Offline
Bird Dog

Yeah from the research I've done since ATF leaves it up to the seller. So your right "academy's dumb PC policy"! I'm calling corporate this week doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm going to try and get the email of who's in charge of this and will post it publicly, maybe we can get them to use some common sense, instead of acting like a dumb liberal corporation!!!!

#6905019 - 10/01/17 03:43 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: huntwest]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: huntwest

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6905051 - 10/01/17 04:19 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
They have some very strict policies.

Perhaps they've been raked over the coals by the ATF for submitting incorrect forms far too often.

Spring, Texas

#6905139 - 10/01/17 06:10 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
Deer Hound Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Cotlulla TX / Scotland Neck NC
Surprised you have to fill out the yellow sheet in a lot of states you just put your CC number and that's it not form. I've not filled one out in 25 years Guess TX or Academy does it differently

#6905271 - 10/01/17 08:24 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
neil mitchell Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Lufkin,Texas
I won't buy a gun from Academy because they won't take trigger lock off a pistol so I can feel how the gun feels in my hand.

Neil

#6905277 - 10/01/17 08:28 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: ChadTRG42]
rexmitchell Offline
Veteran Tracker

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.

#6905283 - 10/01/17 08:34 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
You should have been able to have read the form and immediately picked out the question you answered wrong without having to ask them to show you which one it was.

#6905299 - 10/01/17 08:51 PM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
mikei Offline
Veteran Tracker

Take your business elsewhere, and let Academy know that you won't be buying from them any more and the exact reason why. You can do a lot better on price, almost anywhere, even on line. Let your wallet/checkbook do the talking.

#6905445 - 10/02/17 06:01 AM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
flintknapper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Deep East Texas
Originally Posted By: doggit
Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!!

Yep, this would pretty much have taken care of everything.

Simple matter to CHECK your 4473 BEFORE you sign it and turn it in.

Would have saved you and the store employees the 'trouble' you think you have suffered and us your rant about it all.

Academy (or other private entity) may adopt and apply any 'policies' they like (within the confines of the law). The ones you have mentioned don't sound particularly onerous to me.

#6905462 - 10/02/17 06:32 AM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
Thundervee Online   happy

Loc: Shepherd/Edwards County
Academy lost me on guns when the hid the scary AR's after the sandy hook thing.

#6905474 - 10/02/17 07:08 AM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: rexmitchell]
colt45 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.
its been that way since 2005 at least, after the change in owner ship, (most) who work the gun counter, don't have a clue

Edited by colt45 (10/02/17 07:10 AM)

#6905567 - 10/02/17 08:24 AM Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days [Re: doggit]
doggit Offline
Bird Dog

Flintknapper, are you serious with your post or are you just trying to get a rise. It's people thinking like you and NOT USING ANY COMMON SENSE that have the government and this country so F"D up! I'm white obviously because I had to answer that question. I have a CHL, so obviously NOT illegal. Don't even know why I have to answer those questions the TRUE illegals don't!!! So yeah, I guess your right that their store policy banning me for 30 days from buying a gun is a fair policy my apologies for even bringing it to everyone's attention. And I can assure you the 20 yr old behind the counter didn't suffer any trouble, he had a hard on because he got to deny me. Made his day. Sure he was the hero of the store that day for keeping the world safe from another law abiding citizenfrom owing another firearm, like the one I had just bought from them less than a month ago. When I go back to purchase the gun I'm going to request a paper form that's what I'm used to filling out and easier to check than the tablet, sure that's going to cause more issues. And would you please explain what the confines of the law are on store policies?? Guess before we know it, the next store policy will be after the yellow form, to take a knee before approving a firearm purchase, would that "store policy" be onerous to you????????

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide